The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I just want to say to everyone that might line up and think I am siding with Revis in this deal. Quite the contrary I am on the Jets side for the most part.

By most part I think Revis should get something above 10 mil and lower than the 15-16 mil that is the Aso contract abortion.

I am just saying that Woody and Tanny are no blind raging idiots by letting Revis sit the duration of his career........ that is all.

2. nyy486

nyy486 New Member

What egotistical fantasy world do you live in, that you could possibly think that sitting him, can possibly benefit the team or even be a viable option? Guess what, its a lose-lose situation no matter what you do, if he doesn't play. Trade him, and you lose your best player. Not much of an effect of future holdouts. Force him to sit out, and you still lose your best player, and you develop a garbage reputation among players as not being a franchise that takes care of their players, regardless of how outrageous his demands may be.

But guess what, you sit him you just lose an asset in Revis, with your only gain being an egotistical stroke on the back. Congrats. You trade him, and you lose an asset in Revis, but you gain assets in return in the way of draft picks. Pretty good ones at that.

So please, quit with the sit him out crap. This is a business where you gain and lose assets and try to manage that as best you can. Not a business where you take actions based on your ego. That's how you drive a franchise into the dirt.

3. nyy486

nyy486 New Member

Welcome to the ways of rational, relatively unbiased thinking. Something that apparently 90% of this board can't grasp.

4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread (10 Days Until MNF)

Pretty much my sentiments. I wanted to spend my late offseason being excited and anxious instead I'm apprehensive and frustrated (both by Revis and shaky offensive play)

Revis won't sit out a year. Those who tried it, their careers weren't the same.

5. Scottso

Scottso Member

To answer your first question, don't know where it comes from but both sides would lose...however you like to talk business so Woody will still get paid yet Revis won't

Second question, they're not winning by making him sit. The issue is that everything has a price, and they want to put the best product on the field. So the product is not about just Revis, it is about the whole TEAM that they can field to try to win games. They don't want to invest too much money in one area, because the rule of their business(the cap) dictates that they can't.

And again what you fail to realize is that Revis is not just gonna let himself rot, he is going to sooner or later realize that I am pissing in the wind and the Jets have me by the balls. So if I ever want to make some scratch again, I better see what is reasonable. You seem to be looking at this in the sense that Revis doesn't care if he makes any money, which is the reason for this whole problem, he wants to much money...

6. jmclaw

jmclaw New Member

I agree and have posted the same about my feelings about how shitty we looked this PS. Bottom line is, if Revis had been in camp for a couple of weeks at least, I would be confident we would have the best D in the league. By far

7. Scottso

Scottso Member

You weren't too strong in reading comprehension in school were you?

8. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Sorry but from your post you have no earthly idea what I am arguing nor where my sentiments lie.

Here again how do you take my stipulation about Revis is never going to sit out for the duration of his career into the larger and more muddied context of Revis's demands?

I am not siding with Revis. Abdul Salam made an argument to a post of mine that the Jets are going to make Revis rot.

That isn't going to happen, not now not ever.
    If you want to broaden the scope of the argument into something else, it would help to know what my position is because we probably agree more than we disagree.

#11008 Miamipuck, Sep 4, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  9. nyy486

nyy486 New Member

You really think if he sits out the season, that he is just gonna crawl back in with his head down and have that whole season sit be for nothing? If he sits out the full season, that bridge is all but burned unless the Jets decide to come up with the 160mil, very unlikely. Again, IF he sits out the whole season, the only options are trade or have him pretty much retire. You have all this talk about fielding the best team, so I think that pretty much answers which of those 2 options puts out the best team.

10. Scottso

Scottso Member

Stipulation about Revis is never going to sit out??? Here is a lil help, so you don't make that mistake again:

stip·u·la·tion   /ˌstɪpyəˈleɪʃən/ Show Spelled[stip-yuh-ley-shuhn] Show IPA
    –noun
    1. a condition, demand, or promise in an agreement or contract.
    2. the act of stipulating.

11. Scottso

Scottso Member

Ugh, you're right. Revis doesn't care if he ever gets paid again, doesn't matter you got me. Holy Stupid Batman...

12. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Love how you conveniently left this out.

stip·u·la·tion   /ˌstɪpyəˈleɪʃən/ Show Spelled[stip-yuh-ley-shuhn] Show IPA
    –noun

2. stipulation - an assumption on which rests the validity or effect of something else.

This one is for you:

Reading Comprehension-

Reading comprehension is defined as the level of understanding of a writing.

Late Edit: Maybe this will help your limited understanding of the word stipulation......... change stipulation to premise. kthanxbai

#11012 Miamipuck, Sep 4, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  13. nyy486

nyy486 New Member

lol its like arguing with high schoolers all over again

14. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I think I am going to stick to small words three year olds understand... lol they even look up a word in a dictionary and still have no idea what they mean. Which has to mean the larger argument was too complex.

15. FazeOne17

FazeOne17 Active Member

The problem is, that we as jet fans are pretty emotional. Thats why we read through 10,000+ posts about this one greedy ass player. Im guilty of it too. Make him sit there and hold his breath and rot. But this is just because we are completely frustrated with his stance and that hes ridiculously selfish. I have lost all respect for him, and i pretty much fuckin hate the guy at the moment.

However, the logical response would be to trade him. As much as i hate to say it, and even think about it, we would be better off. First of all, we dont need a player of his magnitude to have a "me first" attitude. That right there is the definition of a cancer. Secondly, if we trade him we will probably make out pretty well. As much as Revis is a great player, Rex is a fantastic coach and im sure he could get wilson or a future pick to play at an extremely high level. Plus we would probably get multiple high picks. Let his new team deal with his greedy bullshit.

Dont get me wrong, i really hope he comes to his senses and shows up at some point this week. Him and cromartie, will be a sick combo, but i wanna be a contender for a long time and dont wanna mortgage that on one player.

Sorry if i rambled, pretty wasted over here haha...........

16. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Here is one the thing I don't get about Revis threatening to hold out the entire year. Let's say he does do it. What does he do next year? and the year after that? He'll still be under contract. When his uncle Sean Gilbert did it, he was a FA. The Jets do not have to trade him out of fear of losing him for nothing. Is he willing to sit out 3 years when he is in his prime? Doesn't make sense.

17. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread (10 Days Until MNF)

It's a lot to ask for, a team would have to send multiple high draft picks and then pay his ransom. Definitely won't happen this year with no CBA, and still asking a lot when there is one in place.

18. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Its not a question of letting revis sit out the duration of his career. you keep repeating this idiotic mantra but you are missing the point and misstating the situation.

Revis is choosing to hold out. Nobody is forcing him to do that. Its not up to Mr. Johnson. Revis could report to work tomorrow if he wants to. But Revis is deciding not to play. Revis can continue to decide not to play if he wants to. He can choose to sell cars for a living.

The Jets have already stated that they are not interested in trading Revis. Nor should they be interested in trading Revis. Mr. Johnson has been insulted by Revis' sleazebag agents. Mr. Johnson has already paid Revis a boatload of money including a bonus on the basis that Revis would live up to his contractual comittments. In response, Revis has chosen to reneg on his contract and not do what he promised he would do. In addition Revis has failed to negotiate in good faith. If I were Mr. Johnson I would not at all be interested in helping Revis out by trading him under these circumstances.

Rewarding sleazy behavior by people who take your money and then refuse to perform under the contract they signed is bad business. It encourages other people to try and screw with you. Also there is very little incentive to move a player unless you are being offered comparable value. Its a stupid business decision to give up a valuable asset for less than it is worth.

So Revis can decide to hold out and negotiate in bad faith and in return for that douchbaggery Mr. Johnson should not trade Revis absent an offer of comparable value - meaning an elite young player that the Jets like at a position where the Jets have a need and also a player who will sign a long term deal that the Jets are willing to offer.

I just don't see any of that happening anytime soon. What I see happening is Mr. J - quite correctly - taking the position that Revis and his shitheel agents can go have a circle jerk w/each other. There is no reason to trade him at all. Quite the opposite actually, there are plenty of very sound reasons to not trade him and to remain happy to negotiate in good faith whenever Revis is prepared to do so.

19. Scottso

Scottso Member

Did you ever stop and think that if most people, or 90% think that you're wrong, chances are you are wrong?

20. nyy486

nyy486 New Member

Pretty sure no one is calling to trade him now (although arguments can be made in favor of just that, but it's not happening). It is in the event of him holding out the full season, when the possibility of trading him is a real option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.