The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deef

deef Member

If Revis sits out a year, gets dealt to another team and is paid a smaller contract, he still wins. His agents can easily claim that in the end the money was only partially the issue, the deal breaker was the fact that Tanny and the Jets made a promise and then reneged. The blackout is a huge plus for them, because they can basically say that his offers were insulting as well - then it becomes a game of 'he said she said' and the truth is never out there.

2. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I'm still laughing at Cimini interviewing Revis' grandma. Who does that? Cimini might turn out to be the biggest tool of the whole deal. Anyone contacted Vincent Jackson's grandpa yet?

3. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread (10 Days Until MNF)

If he gets dealt to a shitty team he loses and the fans lose, as well as the team.

Basically if Revis gets traded no one wins.

4. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Think what your Grandma would say??

I could be up on murder charges and mine would've been defending me the whole way through.

5. rex2009

rex2009 Banned

Well if he gets back in time to save the season all will be forgiven. However, if he fucks up the season for us then hell will be his next destination. In either case don't deal the clown, force him to come back and take his medicine like a man.

6. deef

deef Member

Of course, I meant in terms of he and his agents saving face. To everyone else, it just looks like they couldn't agree on a deal.

7. Nacho Sanchez

Nacho Sanchez New Member

lets be real the Jets werent studs when he got here...He will help make a team better instantly. He very well could win

8. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

If he holds out for the full season, because he does have a valid contract with three (3) years left in it, can he be sued for breach of contract?

9. ........

........ Trolls

It's all speculation anyway, and at this point likely a waste of time. I still say he signs before the season. I just have to laugh when people say the Jets would never trade him and that they'd invariably force him to play out his contract. Oh well. That's enough for me for now.

10. rex2009

rex2009 Banned

The faking the injury part is very interesting and goes to Mevis's character. A person that is willing to go to that length may indeed sit out the season. He's obviously not thinking rationally. I think most fans would want to see the organization play hardball with this clown. Fuck him.

11. Nacho Sanchez

Nacho Sanchez New Member

I agree that his level of play accounts for something..but something has to be FAIR. Fair is not holding the jets hostage bc Al Davis gave Aso a utterly rediciulous contract. IF they offer a nice raise he should take it and be happy

12. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Get back to me when the CBA includes performance levels negating contract years.

It counts for zero, except what the Jets are willing to give him.

13. Nacho Sanchez

Nacho Sanchez New Member

they can sue to get back signing bonus money, but most likely that wont happen. He is forefitting a large amount of his salary this year anyways with the fines that will be taking from hsi game check

14. rex2009

rex2009 Banned

My point was that trading him is not the INEVITABLE outcome as a previous poster had stated. The Jets are not an organization that can be pushed around and if anyone is going to take a stand it's likely the Jets will. In my opinion, it's in their best interest since they will be setting a bad precedent if they cave and they won't get equal value.

15. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I hope you're right.

But if you're not, Tannenbaum should go full Clint Eastwood on this.

16. IATA

IATA Trolls

You are such a woman. My girlfriend likes to take a day off with Menstral Cramps every so often, do you?

17. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

I like Revis the player...hope he comes back and plays this year....we'll be better with him....but that being said.....

1. The Jets can't cave into his demands and still save face with their players. This is a chess game, but Revis isn't the only piece on the board. How can they reward a holdout by paying up after signing Brick and Mangold to new contracts after they stuck around. That's a slap in the face to both players: "Guys, you were stupid for not holding out. See what you could've gotten?" Or what messaging would it be sending to Harris: "Here's our offer, but just hold out until the end of training camp, and we'll sweeten the pot."

2. Revis held out of camp his rookie year to get his current contract. Why did he waste his time then. He apparently signed a bad deal if his curent actions are any reflection of his viewpoint, and his agents today are the same guys that gave him advice three years ago. Hhhhmmmm. What's the definition of insanity: doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result. "Paging Gramdma Revis.....paging Grandma Revis....there's a crazy man running around the house."

3. Revis shouldn't want to be the highest paid player at his position. Look, I know it's macho or the ultimate indication of selfconfidence to want to be the highest paid player, but the minute he becomes that, is the day his life becomes a living hell in New York. Anytime he underperforms vs. 2009, he'll hear it. Anytime he gives up a touchdown, he'll hear it. Anytime Brodney Pool gives up a touchdown, Revis will hear it. Anytime the Jets lose, he'll be the first player cited as among the "me" players on the club. He'll be, if he isn't already, a pariah on Madison Avenue. Who's going to want him endorsing their products after this summer's baloney? I got it, the same firms that hired and retain Sean Gilbert to this day: nobody.

One side of me says the Jets are not going to risk losing what they've built this offseason by watching Revis sit it out, but the other side of me says they can't afford not to. Hats off to Tannenbaum and team for addressing the position in the offseason. No Jets team will be better without Revis, but we're not looking at the prospect of Lowery and Lito manning the outside right now either

#10797 Mickey Shuler 82, Sep 3, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  18. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Agree with your 1st point... we CAN'T cave in! 2/3 (and probably 3/4 when it's Harris turn) are handling this very well... one guy is being the asshole and you can't cave in...

19. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

My doom scenario as of right now is that Revis does not sign before the season and gets a job as an NFL analyst for Fox. Granted it would be a pretty big pay cut but would allow him to "feed his family" until the Jets are forced to trade him.

If Tanny trades him he should send him to Cleveland to be reunited with Mangina. Let him see how fun football is when he has to go from Rex back to Mangina, even if it means he gets paid.

20. rex2009

rex2009 Banned

I couldn't agree more. Also, I believe that Rex believes that he still will have the number one defense in the league without Mevis. Of course if we had Mevis then we would be an all time dominant defense. But the hope is that we get off to a great start and force Mevis to face reality. If he then still insists on sitting out then screw him and his grandmother too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.