The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

You wouldn't trade him to some NFC shithole for two 1st rounders?

2. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

You're right on the first part.

On the second...HE CANNOT GO ANYWHERE,UNTIL HE GIVES THE JETS THE THREE SEASONS THEY ARE OWED.

3. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

You're getting way, way ahead of yourself. This will be resolved with Revis being a Jet, but we may have to play a couple games without him until he realizes what he's missing and that he's been getting terrible advice.

4. Hobbes3259

No....He is bargaining in bad faith. The nly deal that should be left on the table is,

"play your way to free agency or retire"

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

No cornerback has gotten close to the parameters of the 10 year deal the Jets offered, with the disclaimer that we're just talking 10 years/122 million and not discussing the guarantees that apparently have not been looked at heavily yet.

I'd be a little bit surprised if he got an offer from another team in those general terms of 10/122 unless the deal was heavily inflated at the end with money unlikely to be earned. We don't know that the Jets offer isn't structured this way either because we're not privy to the terms of the offer.

I think it's very likely that if Revis is traded, which would likely require him to have worked out a deal in advance with the acquiring team, he winds up signing a deal very similar in general terms to the Jets 10/122 offer but probably with more guaranteed money upfront.

I half expect the Jets to put 32 million in bonus and 1st year salary on the table in front of him in the 10/122 offer and ask him if he really wants to turn down making 2x+ what Aso is making this year in a deal that will average 12+ million over the next decade. It's what I would do right now. The huge bonus would be good leverage against future holdouts, since the Jets could always try to recoup it if Revis pulled this again in a few years.

6. ........

........ Trolls

Agreed. That is all.

7. Hobbes3259

It's not foolish.

These agent's are a cancer.

When treatment fails you cut it out.

In this case, you cut it out, by making them lose the highest profile situation they've stuck themselves in.

Losing the 14th pick overall? Hardly a show stopper.

Allowing a cancer to survive...?

Deadly.

8. Nacho Sanchez

Nacho Sanchez New Member

@GeigerGeiger: Just so you know, no one is sleeping over here we working out! Not losing a step!

Now Geiger is doing damage control!!! Ohh boyyy

9. Hobbes3259

I already laid out a better deal than that, that averages the sam $$$$ to the tipping point.

We all agree that paying him at 12 per is the way to go.

However...where everyone splits, is what is the correct course of action, if they don't accept the merit raise ?

10. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

If a team traded for Revis and gave up a high #1 pick... Wouldn't they treat it like they had the #1 pick and drafted Revis... Shouldn't they be fine looking at it that way, matching the #1 pick deal from last year?

For that team, they are guaranteed more than any draft pick that they got a great player.

I know Jets fans would want a lot more than a #1 pick but, lets start there $$$ wise

11. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

GeigerGeiger

uh just realized this prob means revis is working out..

fail..

#10691 JfaulkNYJ, Sep 3, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  12. ........

........ Trolls

No, you laid out a 1st grade version of an NFL contract masquerading as something real and legitimate.

13. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

The money for Revis can be saved and used on guys like Harris, Holmes, Edwards, Cromartie, etc. We'd have an overall stronger and deeper team.

14. zace

zace Well-Known Member

All this trade talk is crazy. No one has still answered, who is going to pay him? Why would a team give up a bevy of picks for a player with a history of holding out or extorting money? Pro football is a very small world, and if you think owners are not on the same page with crap like this, you must be crazy. Hence a looming lockout.

15. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

This thread needs its own board. An entire message board all to itself.

I'm in here five or six times a day. Somebody help me.

16. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

What's the point of getting two really good first rounders if you're going to have to pay huge dollars for an unproven player? I'd much rather give Revis $40 mil guarnateed than someone like Suh (who the lions just gave $40 too). I'll take a proven pro bowler with 6-7 real good years left over a question mark anyday of the week.

If Revis was older and had a year left on his contract I would trade him. But he just turned 25.

17. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

If you trade Revis to another team, they'll suffer because they overpaid for a cornerback and can't resign other players. Thus, Revis won't ever smell the postseason and justice is served in that sense.

Trading Revis for 2 first round picks is the best option we have right now. Plus, I don't think Cromartie is that much worse than Revis.

18. Nacho Sanchez

Nacho Sanchez New Member

i dont know how to understand it..

It could mean he is still ready to go and play for the Jets

or that its not gonna work out so other teams get ready to try and woo him away

19. ........

........ Trolls

No, waiting for Revis to cave and accept our offer is the best option we have. Trading him only becomes our best option once he misses this season.

20. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

The Jets should make one more offer to Revis in the neighborhood of 10 years $140M and $40M guaranteed. If Revis refuses, then the Jets should start reducing the offer everyday that goes on. The Jets still have the rights to Revis and Revis isn't going anywhere unless the Jets decide to send him somewhere. Something they do not have to do considering Revis is still under contract with the Jets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.