The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

If the defense doesn't live up to expectations and the Jets start out 0-8 I still hope they don't pay him the ransom he's demanding. $12 M/year is more than fair for his position.

2. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Your posts are setting my instrumentation off.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gyFEajpKyg[/YOUTUBE]

3. kaboom

kaboom Member

World class athletes are the usually the last ones to realize that ages 23, 24, 25 & 26 are your "peak" from a CB standpoint, regardless of the amount of "football miles" on one's odometer. Critical quickness and stop on a dime change of direction skills start then start to erode and Darrell Revis will never be as good after age 26 as he was in the 2009 season and could have been in the 2010 and 2011 seasons. For WR's that rely on similar skill sets, experience and guile, can offset this de-peaking of core athletic talents. However, pure #1 CB play is a read and react thus less inherent ability to off set the de-peaking of athletic talent not to mention the need to re-tool muscle memory into "NFL game ready condition".

Again, the guy looking in the mirror is always the last guy to realize the above and frankly Revis may not have the intellect to even think this way.

4. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Please come home already, Darelle!

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Br4dw@y good stuff as always. Like others have said you have great writing talent.

Fortunately for the fans the biggest "benefit" we have in this situation is that we really don't know what is happening with Revis... whether contract talks are progressing or totally dead in the water. For all we know they could be converging on finalization... the point is we don't know.

The situations is leaving fans filled with grief at a situation they don't have the full scoop on... but at the end of the day if the two sides manage to come to some sort of an agreement then this will all be put behind us and no one will remember by December.

I agree with the sentiment that Revis would be an absolute bonehead to try to "sit out forever" in order to have his demands met. He'd lose far more than he'd gain with that strategy.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

agreed. A trade is probably the least likely way this whole deal goes.

7. BigJenks

BigJenks Active Member

a link to it...yeah should have been more specific lol

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Which part of.... His rights are owned for three more years are you missing ?

The other 31 GM's are not going to be....motivated..... to let a couple of douchebag agents, and one greedy player, turn the system on it's head by forcing his way out of a contract in the middle of it.

And...even if they were...the Jets would do better accepting Mevi$' brain fart as a career ending injury, and moving on.

If the player wishes to retire, no one can stop him.

But..at the end of the day, he isn't going anywhere.

9. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I pray Revis breaks his leg and never plays again in the NFL. End of story.

Good riddance scumbag.

10. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

That Br4dw4y5ux post should be a front page article on this site. Very astute observations.

11. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

please the jets hold a 3 year contract that is frozen, if their is a lockout next year the jets will still own his rights for 3 more years. Not only that I am sur eyou will see lawsuits filed to recoup signing bonus money. Revis can make $120 million or he can pay the jets $16,000 a day forever!

He will sign, a compromise will get done, because Revis will not be the same player in any other system. He would be solid but in Rex's system he is elite.

And if they do want to trade him he wil insist on a new contract before the deal gets done and will find no one is paying him $160 million and at that point what do you do? Sign a smaller money deal and look like a complete asshole?

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The sliver of hope we might reasonably have here is that the talks have not gotten to the stage where the team has literally made its last and best offer. And of course we don't know whether they have yet to do so. If they can come up with one that the FO things is still reasonable and doable, but that raises their prior offers enough that Revis and his agents can say yes and save face, that might be the only way this can be resolved.

I am not saying the Jets have been unreasonable so far. But I do think if they stand pat on their offer, imo Revis will hold out.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Revis certainly won't be as good at 27 as he would have been if he played at 25 and 26. You can work out with a personal trainer and stay in touch with the trends in football via video but nothing is going to be able to replace actually being on the field against live competition, and the only competition that matters in that regard happens in NFL games.

Don't get me wrong, I think Revis could step on the field at 27 and be a good corner without playing in the next 2 seasons, however I doubt he would be an all-time great one. I also really doubt that any team would make a major commitment to him in terms of guaranteed money in the first year and bonus until they had seen that he was still the same player as when he last played.

14. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

He is in no position to do anything with three years left on his contract other than sit home and pay fines until the Jets decide to do something. And if it is three years from now he will be 28 years old and three years out of the league making little to no money for the last three years.

Take the deal Darrelle, and be happy you are not one of the 10% of americans with no job.

15. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

i have a new nomination for the TGG Rich Kotite - Least Knowledgeable Award

16. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

YUP.. If Revis holds out into the season thinking he has more leverage, I'd say totally screw it and let him burn for 3 years.....

NOBODY BULLIES THE NEW YORK ####'N JETS.. Right Rex....

Then the Jets spread the money around in the offseason, sign a FA and draft another CB... Move on. Spend the money... At that point the Jets won't even have the money or option to pay Revis-like money...

Once he sits one season the Jets need to spend that money and let him burn,.. BURN ###### ###### BURN

17. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Great idea, I agree.

18. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Stop posting if this is the kind of shit you come up with.

Why wish injury on the guy?

19. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

20. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

I'm so tired of this whole thing. Fuck Revis. His uncle was an idiot and an asshole and so is he. Let him sit at home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.