The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

http://www.drafthistory.com/articles/article23.html

2. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Well, except for Mike Francesa. lol

Seriously though, good post

3. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

I don't care if the Jets start 0-2, they should not change their stance with this selfish piece of crap because of that.

If they are willing to do that then, IMO it would be worse than caving in earlier.

If they were willing to do it, they should have done it and got his stupid ass in camp before it got to this point.

I will be FKN pissed if they start 0-2 and then cave.

That happens he is not helping until week 4, which is too late, and sets a terrible precedent for this crap in the future.

4. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Actually he became elite in 08 under Mangini. In 09, his publicity just rose bc of Ryan's big fat mouth and bc in 08 Favre was the central focus.

5. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

very interesting stuff. I think when you trade THAT many picks for another rookie, it is almost destined to become a failure.

Expectations for Ricky when he got there were through the roof, and rightly so for the king's ransom they paid for him. Couple that with the fact of the personal issues he had at the time, added pressure was not a good thing for him.

I find it interesting that there was only one real player of note taken with all those picks.

6. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I wouldn't compare '08 to '09 just because '09 was a legendary "all time great" season by Revis... I'm not trying to put down the seasons prior to that but '09 can't be overstated.

7. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

He was good in 08, but it's hard to say anyone in that secondary played elite in 08. I remember the end of the season, terrible teams throwing at will against that secondary, including him.

8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I am sorry, but it wasn't my point that the Jets should cave. It's that I think this is part of the thinking that explains the strategy Revis and his agents appear to be following. I think they think their leverage goes up if the Jets start sloppy and lose.

Again, putting aside what the Jets should do at that point, try to consider what the fans would be saying if the Jets are 1-3. It's not so crazy if you are Revis and his agents to think the Jets might be more interested in a deal, their kind of deal, than they are now.

I am just saying this to explain why I don't expect a deal to be imminent. If one nonetheless happens, I will be quite pleasantly surprised, though. I don't expect to be surprised, unfortunately.

9. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

He did make the pro-bowl in '08 while playing in that horrible secondary. The fact that it was his first probowl appearance and he was playing in a bad secondary make it more legit than your usual Faneca pro bowlers.

10. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Not shooting down your theory because the substance of it is generally accurate... but I think the overall idea that the Jets losing early in the season adding to Revis' leverage is a bit overstated... simply because 2-3 games shouldn't change the Jets opinions on what to do for a 10 year contract. Penny wise, pound foolish.

11. jetsmets93

jetsmets93 Member

took longer than i thought for this comment... your slacking.

12. Nacho Sanchez

Nacho Sanchez New Member

So what, if he doesnt show up hes gonna demand a trade?? If im the Jets and he wants out, he can wait 3 years until he's a free agent and then feel free to leave. If the Jets granted him a trade, truthfully I'd be extremely furious with the Jets. F&S played hardball and now its our turn

13. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

14. RedStorm

RedStorm Member

If Revis does not sign before the season starts, he is committing career suicide. If he sits out this year and then next year the owners lockout the players, no way he gets close to $100 million.

I hope he knows what he is doing.

15. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I think there's been more insight in this thread than I've seen from any professional columnist. We talked about the possibility of losing Revis forever many times.

16. DRex

DRex Member

jason cole is a complete moron miami dolphins fan......i know things arent looking good but something STILL tells me he will be here week 1.....jets arent letting a home grown top db just sit n rot or trade to see him flourish somewhere else.....

17. Nacho Sanchez

Nacho Sanchez New Member

HE doesn't. He going on advice of money hungry agents who wont allow him to see that angle of it. If he truley felt hurt by the Jets, why wouldn't he address that with the team and management.

The Jason Cole article make it seems as if the jets promised him to be the highest paid when in reality they told him that they wanted to re-work his deal to make his salary better for this year.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Tomorrow is the day that Vincent Jackson's hold out turns into a 6 game thing whether he wants it too or not. Last night we get the "Revis will leave forever" story. Unrelated? Doubtful.

Schwartz and Feinsod are now sitting on the edge of a nightmare. One of their clients got totally screwed by the provisions of the CBA opt out. VJ should have been a UFA this season and should have been able to set his own market. Instead he was an RFA and could not get people to bite on his 1st round+ tender. His contract demands were likely out of line even for a UFA and nobody made an offer.

He had every reason to be upset, given the fact that free agency was snatched away from him, and he refused to sign his tender. The Chargers in a punitive manner reduced the tender amount to the minimum possible at the first opportunity and now VJ is literally in hell. He can't find a team willing to pay him and give the Chargers value back in a trade. He can't play for them this year either at much more than minimum wage. There's nowhere to go. And tomorrow his value to another team falls even further because he will be unavailable for the first 6 games if he does not sign with the Chargers by then.

Vincent Jackson has one glimmer of hope: he is very likely to be a UFA before next season as the new CBA takes effect. He can sit out the year and avoid the entire mess that he created for himself by not making his contract demands reasonable enough that either the Chargers (most likely) or another team would bite on them.

Seque to another S&F client, Darrelle Revis. Revis was scheduled to make a million dollars this year in a strange kind of un-backloaded deal. Every other year of the deal had reasonable compensation but the two sides built this year in at a low level, possibly to force the two sides to reach an extension before the opt out and buy back provisions kicked in at the end of the season.

Revis was not a free agent or likely to be a free agent any time in the next 3 seasons, however he and his team decided to make a stand this year given the low level of compensation that would be sacrificed if Revis sat out any significant period of time. They weren't interested in an extension that "fixed" Revis contract, they wanted the highest contract a defensive player had ever signed, and they wanted it now despite Revis lack of apparent leverage. The Jets have never had a chance to make a reasonable deal because reasonable has never been on the table.

The problem for the Revis camp is that in the end they actually have no leverage in the negotiations. The most dire threat that they could make was that Revis would never play for the Jets again. This threat was like the nuclear option, because the only way to actually enforce it was to kill Revis NFL career and quite possibly the Jets chances at a Super Bowl this year. The goal of the threat would be to force the Jets to blink at the last moment and bend to Revis contract demands, an unlikely result given that the Jets weren't willing to sign a happy Darrelle Revis to the same contract and would certainly not be willing to sign an unhappy camper to that type of deal.

Apparently the threat is on the verge of being made. Looking at the situation it's hard to see how it benefits Revis, who would be committing professional suicide and throwing away literally tens of millions of dollars in the process. Nonetheless the Cole story likely indicates that the Revis camp has decided to go nuclear in a last ditch effort to gain a total win.

The only idea that potentially rationalizes where Revis and his agents are right now is that Schwartz and Feinsod have become confused by the different situations they have dealt with in the last two seasons.

They successfully held out with Roddy White in Atlanta last year and got him a huge contract with a good deal of guaranteed money. White was in the last year of a 5 year contract and the S&F team got him safely extended before the CBA opt out became reality. They held out in the last year of his contract, as often happens in situations in which the player and team are far apart in valuing his services, and they had the fallback position of his impending free agency to hold over the team in the negotiations and ensuing hold out. They got a big win here, because they were in known territory and they used that terrain to their best advantage.

This season they held out with Vincent Jackson in somewhat less well known territory, given the labor situation and lack of a defined CBA moving forward. They've been unable to produce the same results for VJ that they got for White and he's in trouble right now. He does have that ray of hope at the end of the tunnel though, being a UFA will let him make up some lost ground next year.

Darrelle Revis on the other hand does not own his own services at the moment. He contracted them away to the Jets for a period of at least 1 and as many as 3 years. No other bidder can potentially offer him a way out of the impasse, not even next year if he sits out this one. He's chosen to make a stand in quicksand and to carry the maximum possible load of a huge record-breaking contract demand as he does so. It appears that part of his strategy is to force his way off of the Jets by demanding a trade if they will not bend to his contract demands.

All of this is at least somewhat understandable from Revis point of view. His uncle successfully made the NFL bend in the late 90's. Revis himself is 1 of the top 3 corners in football at this point and off of last season arguably the best. One of the other top 3 corners has a contract that many view as an aberration, a result of long-service in the NFL and his management's unwillingness to let him go in the face of escalating franchise player salaries. These are all factors that clearly play into Revis demands at this point.

The problem is that none of the above apply in a situation in which you're not a free agent or pending free agency and Revis is in neither of those situations. His agents have fostered a situation in which Revis is treating himself as though he were in Roddy White or Vincent Jackson's respective situations. He doesn't have that kind of leverage at the beginning of the 4th year of a 6 year contract.

This is where the nightmare kicks in for Schwartz and Feinsod. They currently have two clients out on a ledge at the same time and there is no immediate prospect that either of them can be talked in. For VJ it's not clear that coming in is even a good idea. He's so far out on that ledge that he probably has no way back to the 2010 football season, and he has the prospect of a net beneath him after the season in the form of a revitalized free agency process.

Revis on the other hand is unhappy, upset, hurt by the team's very reasonable offers given his situation, and apparently considering leaving town, but with nowhere to go. His agents have not served him well in this impasse and unlike VJ, who also has not been well-served, there is no parachute likely to open up for Revis next season if he sticks to his demands.

I can't imagine what it must be like to be Schwartz and Feinsod right now and caught between strangling the golden goose in the form of Revis football earnings potential and losing Revis as a client if they suddenly reverse course and suggest that he didn't have the leverage they thought he did.

Nightmare.

#10538 Br4d, Sep 3, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  19. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

^excellent recap and synopsis, Br4dw4y

20. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Now, publish that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.