Good McNight, Joe

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Green Lantern, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Active Member

I've seen enough. Please end the inevitable already and send him packing to like 5 different teams over the next 4 years before he's selling car insurance.
    Washington and Woodhead play like Jets. McNight plays like a bafoon.

2. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Great thread....

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Gay McThread, Green Lantern.

4. IATA

IATA Trolls

Simple Lantern.

5. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

Rex went off on him in the postgame press conference. Says he'll make the team but won't suit up until they trust him

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Have we seen anything from McKnight that suggests he's even remotely NFL material? He seems to be awfully highstrung for a position that is going to take a beating every game.

7. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

To answer your question, no. I was just reporting what Rex said (via Cimini)

8. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

If i sucked as much as him at my job id have been laid off 15 minutes into sitting in my cubicle.

9. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I haven't. I'd trust Washington or Woodhead before him in a game right now.

10. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

No we can't!!

Don't you realize how many people already said he was the equivalent of Leon?
    This man can't even stand in Leon's presence...

He looks Tentative, unsure and actually looks slow because of it.

11. masivemunkey

masivemunkey Member

He's seems very gholston-ish. You can see that he's pretty quick, but is just so timid. Maybe he can get over that and be a good rb, but he definitely is way behind washington and even woodhead at this point.

12. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

He's good on PR. He needs to work on securing the ball better but the last guy to raise those complaints is now our starting HB. He's a project but he's showing potential now. This game won't come quick for him but he's showing more than Gholston ever did in his first season.

13. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

There's no question Woodhead and Washington are better players offensively right now. Woodhead's instincts, speed, physicality, and pass catching ability and Washington's size and impressive power make them better options right now than Joe McKnight.

But McKnight was a 4th rounder for a reason. I'd be very surprised if he was cut. While he certainly hasn't been impressive, he has a lot of raw tools there, and he's only a rookie. I'd say a rookie 4th round pick is cut in training camp once every 4 years or so. It's extremely rare. And it's not like we can't use him, he can return punts.

I think we end up trading Washington for a conditional late round pick next year. Hopefully some team that needs a runningback was impressed with him enough to do that. A lot of these mini-trades happen around this time of the year, from Earthwind Moreland to Kevin O'Connell.

14. rex2009

rex2009 Banned

Typical over reaction by the usual group. Let's cut him after 4 pre-season game. Shut the fuck up! Give the kid a chance, it takes some players longer to fully develop. Anyone can see he has a load of talent. The coaching staff has to get it out of him.

15. ........

........ Trolls

What the fuck is a bafoon? Is that a cross between a baboon and a buffoon?

He's had problems in the preseason. Rex said he doesn't trust him. Of course he doesn't trust him. He can't hold on to the ball. He's dropped the ball. So has CW. McKnight's up 3 - 2 in that regard.

If Washington and Woodhead look more NFL ready at this point, it's because they've both been in the league for years. As in multiple. Each. And in that time, neither one has shown the same kind of potential as McKnight. Hell, Washington's on his 3rd team. So let's proclaim him exactly what he is: a rookie with a shitty preseason and a whole lot of talent who needs to catch up to the game mentally and get his fucking ball control fundamentals fixed. He's not a surefire bust by any stretch.

Either Washington or Woodhead is making the roster, and either one should play to start the season instead of McKnight and pick up his 1 or 2 carries that the offense demands. Neither one offers the same kind of long term promise, though, and there sure as hell won't be carries for both this season.

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If McKnight makes this roster but the two people at his same position that CLEARLY outplayed him don't, I lose a little faith in Rex (VERY little, but some). I thought he was a no bullshit kinda guy who wouldn't keep a waste of a player on his roster just because he was a 4th round pick. He's been a nobody since high school. He was supposed to be the next Bush at USC, he failed. He was supposed to be the next Leon in NY, he will without a doubt fail if he hasn't already.

You don't think it was a HUGE red flag when Pete Carroll, his former coach, had a chance to draft him but took Leon Washington instead? It was a head-scratcher then and it's a blunder now.

17. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Don't ever be so sure, runningbacks get hurt more than anybody. LT suffered nagging injuries each of the first two years in the first game. Greene hasn't proven he can stay healthy yet. If both stay healthy, then neither Washington nor Woodhead will have a big role. But if either one went down, Washington would stand to get some carries, and Woodhead would get a few and some catches from the backfield.

We ran over 600 carries last year. We'll need one or both at times this season most likely. Woodhead came up pretty big at times in the Carolina game last year for instance.

18. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

And yet people were killing me in the game thread for suggesting Washington and Woodhead should be on the team over him. All McKnight does well is return, great...so did Desmond Howard. But he's got to be as good as Howard returning to have any use since he doesn't show any capacity to be a pro runner. People talk up his talent as if he's a first-rounder, he's a fourth-rounder for a reason. First-rounders you expect to contribute at some point. Fourth-rounders are maybes at best.

19. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

He has skills. but he fumbles. then again so does the rest of the team pretty much. the Jets have pretty much sucked on offense all camp, mcknight is no exception, he has sucked too.

20. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

If you think Leon Washington can recover from this injury and be the player he once was, there's no question he's better than McKnight. He chose to take that gamble. He hasn't really gotten that many USC guys.

McKnight is a rookie. Woodhead is a few years out of school. So is Chauncey. Clearly, McKnight is struggling adjusting to what he needs to do to be successful. Will he ever get it? Who knows, but if the Jets saw enough in him to draft him in the 4th round and get rid of Washington (you can play it from that angle, too), he deserves at least two training camps to show whether or not he can stick.