The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

My opinion is no. That's why, if the numbers that the media report are true, I'm 100% behind the Jets.

Why do I believe the numbers are true? Because the ONLY leverage Schwarz&Feinsod had was to show to the world how cheap Tanny&Jets were...

If they chose to go the "media blackout" way it's because they can't show that... and that's because they're getting a fair offer.

2. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

Come home Revis.

3. franzman9

franzman9 Member

Did he sign yet?

4. Petey

Petey Active Member

Yeah, it was in Bed-Stuy. It closed some time in 2009 because when I went back in December, it was gone. Quite depressing and a wasted trip (from Long Island).

5. milo

milo Well-Known Member

************TOTAL SPECULATION/HYPOTHETICAL ALERT***********

I am not in this camp at all, and I am in no way in the conspiracy/"what if" camp, but I just want to know what people think/know about this point...

Let's say there is no way in hell that Revis stops asking for Aso money.

Let's say Tanny says the hell with it and we're trading him.

Ignore what we get for him for the moment, where-ever the deal would get done that team would have to pay him what he is asking.

Who in the NFL would - or even could - pay him what he's looking for?

The only names I can come up with is Dallas, the Giants, and possibly San Fran. But none of these realistically would pay a king's ransom in not only draft picks but salary as well.

6. ........

........ Trolls

No one knows how wise it would be to satisfy his demands because no one knows what the new cap will look like. All we have that holds water is the market value argument, which says he's worth $12 million. Personally, I think the market is too high for cornerbacks anyway.

I've got no problem with the Jets holding firm at $12 million or a lesser deal. If they do, I think he finds a way to get in before the season starts. If he holds out into the season, I don't want them to budge one cent, regardless of how the passing defense looks in the first few games.

7. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

How about if Aso's contract ends and his next contract pays him $12.5 mil a year...you think anyone in the league is going to give Aso a raise on his next deal? I don't even think Al Davis would do that...of course he is out of his mind.

8. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I honestly don't see any of those teams paying Revis $16 million a year, especially not the Giants.

9. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I don't see San Fran investing any more crazy money in the CB position...after the contract they awarded Nate Clements a few years back....not while Clements is still on the roster, anyway.

10. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Who knows what Aso will demand at this point. If Revis signs for $12 million, then Aso will want something equal. The point is that Aso will no longer be in the discussion if Revis holds out a season.

11. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

You bring up a good point. Revis should get Aso(+)-level money for only as long as Aso is getting it. He doesn't need to be paid $16 mil/year for the entirety of his contract, rather only as long as Aso is getting his $15 mil. After Al's absurd contract ends, Revis's deal should drop accordingly but he could still be the highest paid CB in the league at $12.5 mil.

12. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread (11 Days Until MNF)

Yeah, you think $25 million is excessive to give your starting corners? LOL

13. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I don't think any team would. I think F&S know that too, they're just using it to try and squeeze more $ out of the Jets.

14. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Just checking in. Nothing yet, I assume.

I'll try again later.

15. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Right, so this makes me think that Schwartz doesn't really have a plan B.

They've bluffed about as long as they can, and even if they want to be stubborn and keep bluffing til next season, they're still holding a pair of twos.

Meanwhile their own business is probably gonna get raided by the likes of Rosenhaus once everyone sees the results of their hard-line approach, which is basically a bunch of phenomenal athletes wasting the prime of their career.

16. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Why not just say you will be paid $.01 more than the highest paid corner back in the league until you are 30.

17. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

Good post, my take on things too. I hate to say it but I believe we might be a few games in before there is any progress here.

18. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Because Al Davis can't be trusted.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Schwartz and Feinsod are about to hit a hair-raising point in their offseason chicken games with Revis and Jackson. On Sept 4th Jackson will become ineligible to play until game 6 of the season. Half of that is a league personal conduct suspension unrelated to the holdout but the other half is because the Chargers decided to play hardball with Jackson and put him on the roster exempt list. If he's not on an active roster by Sept 4th he has to give 3 games notice before he returns to play and he can't do that while he is suspended.

The Chargers have been allowing certain other teams to negotiate directly with Schwartz and Feinsod in the interests of facilitating a trade, however the reports coming back from those negotiations are that Jackson's asking price is too high and so actual trade negotiations have not begun yet.

The reason this is applicable to the Revis situation is that if Jackson is still in the deep freeze as of Sept 4th there will be a lot of pressure on Schwartz and Feinsod to get the Revis situation resolved in a manner satisfactory to their client. They got a win with the Roddy White holdout when White signed a contract with 18 million guaranteed that made him the third highest paid receiver. If they take what looks like a loss with Jackson, which is what having Sept 4th go by without him on a roster somewhere would constitute, they'll have to come up good on the Revis negotiation or their ability to attract clients will diminish, even after the Roddy White win.

My guess is that if the Jackson situation is not resolved by Sept 4th we're going to see the Revis action heat up again, blackout or no. Having both Jackson and Revis in the deep freeze at the same time as the season started would be very bad for their agents.

20. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

At this point the Jets should just come out and say, that if Revis is not on the field on day 1 of the regular season, the Jets will cease all negotiations until next season. Would be quite an interesting sight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.