The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

The only deal done was the order for the cheeseburgers ...

2. Nacho Sanchez

Nacho Sanchez New Member

It seems as if they are preparing for a Revis deal... IF he is to come back..but i wouldnt say a deal is in the works at this moment

3. Petey

Petey Active Member

I just noticed that this thread was created by bojanglesman. Bojangles is absolutely delicious and I'm still in partial depression over the Brooklyn location closing, because now the next closest is in the South.

Carry on.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The 49ers worked around the 30% rule by giving Patrick WIllis 2 bonuses, the 15mil one up front and I believe another 5mil in year 2. They split his signing bonus into 2 payments.

5. LWC611

LWC611 Member

That's what I got out of last night's show. The Jets want to be ready.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's no question that the Jets can satisfy Revis demands. The only question is the wisdom in so doing when looking at the issue from every angle they need to and so far they don't see the wisdom.

7. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

That you 24?

8. ........

........ Trolls

Oh shit, we've been looking in the wrong place for Revis! When did you talk to him?

9. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

and since monday i have unfollowed him

10. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

They had a Bojangles' in Brooklyn? Damn, I didn't know they were anywhere north of Virginia. It is like crack though.

11. hazmat

hazmat New Member

The signing bonus is the only money that does not have to fall within the 30% rule. The Jets could give Revis a huge signing bonus if they wanted too but I don't think it's good business with him holding out every 3 years. The rolling guarantees were probably designed with someone like Revis in mind.

12. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

All is not lost. There's a Bojangles in Hempstead, not too far from Hofstra.
    Bojangles' Famous Chicken

(516) 292-5050
    Hempstead
    634 Fulton Ave
    Hempstead, NY 11550

13. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I would expect Tanny to put something into the new contract that would protect the team from Revis pulling another "holdout" in the future.

14. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I hate you all. Now I'm starving.

DIRTY RICE.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

So should Mr. Goodbar just change the name to Revis?

16. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

Revis's grandma is angry at the Jets. What a crock of shit

ALIQUIPPA, PA. -- Revis Island is a modest brick ranch at the end of a 100-foot blacktop driveway, protected by trees and barely visible from a busy road. There's a detached, two-car garage, which houses Darrelle Revis' black Mercedes SUV, and a rickety basketball hoop that looks like it's one slam dunk away from the next garbage pick-up.

This is where Revis' grandmother, Aileen Gilbert, lives. This is where Revis was on that fateful day in April 2007, when his name was called by the New York Jets in the first round of the NFL draft. (What a party that was.) Until Tuesday, this is where he sought refuge for part of his preseason holdout, which is 32 days and counting.

It's quiet here, a good place to escape. Revis' island.

Revis spent about a week in Aliquippa, a working-class town fiercely protective of his privacy. You ask acquaintances if they know his whereabouts, and they act like you're IRS, refusing to confirm anything. You want information, but everybody turns into a Belichick. Others admit they've seen Revis around town, but nothing more than a glimpse here, a glimpse there.

"The phantom of Aliquippa," said Mike Zmijanac, who coached Revis at Aliquippa High School.

The phantom vanished Tuesday, according to his grandmother, who refused to say where he was headed. Back to the Jets, perhaps?

"Not that I know of," she told ESPNNewYork.com, smiling at her front door.

Chris McGrath/Getty Images file photo
    Has Darrelle Revis left Aliquippa, or is he hiding in plain sight?Within seconds, Gilbert was discussing her grandson's holdout, dispensing sharp opinions about Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum. She's not naïve; she raised an NFL player, Sean Gilbert, who played from 1992 to 2003 and sat out an entire season because of a contract dispute.

This grandma knows the business of the NFL, and it bothers her that Darrelle isn't playing football with the season less than two weeks away.

"Darrelle does what he does because he loves it," she said, sitting at her dining-room table. "For this to be happening to him, it's almost like a slap in the face, because he's not appreciated."

So much for the gag order. Revis' agents and the Jets agreed last month not to discuss the negotiations publicly, but does that include grandparents?

"I know he wants to play, but Darrelle understands contract negotiations," she said, wearing the local school's colors -- an orange Aliquippa High T-shirt. "Some players don't get it, but Darrelle can read a contract. I think he's comfortable with his decision [to hold out] because he knows what he was told by the Jets and he knows what he's worth.

"People are trying to portray him as greedy, but he has outperformed his contract," she continued. "For them to put him in this position is just unreal."

Revis has managed to keep a low profile during the holdout, which has made national headlines. When he's home, Gilbert said, they don't discuss the negotiations. That's why he came home, she said. The oldest of her 15 grandchildren came home for quiet time, and his hometown obliged.

When ESPNNewYork.com showed up Wednesday, looking for Revis, it led to an almost comical chain of events. First stop, Aliquippa High, where football practice was under way. Remember the old Tom Cruise football movie, "All the Right Moves"? That came to mind immediately.

Practice stopped, dead silent, when a staffer yelled across the field to the coaches, "He's looking for Darrelle Revis."

An assistant coach walked over, asking the reporter to leave the premises -- immediately. A minute later, Zmijanac came to the sideline to investigate. He was polite. No, he hadn't seen his former star player, who led Aliquippa to a championship in 2003.

"Obviously, if he came home, he wanted privacy and we respect that," Zmijanac said. "He played here. He's still one of our kids, he's still one of my friends. He's a grown man and it's a business."

End of conversation. Walking away, Zmijanac said to the reporter, "If you see him, tell him I said hey."

On to Hopewell High, on the other side of Aliquippa, where Revis was seen recently running sprints on the track at Tony Dorsett Stadium.

No Revis.

Someone there suggested checking the DiNardo Fitness Center, about a mile from school. A woman behind the juice bar reported no Revis sightings, but a man in the gym said Revis works out with a private trainer in a basement gym, located beneath the Get Pampered Salon.

You can't make this stuff up.

On to the salon, a non-descript brick building with no customers. A kind woman behind the counter said the trainer is named Rod Forbes, but he wasn't around. She scribbled his number on the back of a spare business card for Dirty Dog Pet Grooming.

Minutes later, Forbes showed up. He played football in high school, and it showed. He was built like a safety, save for the flecks of gray in his mustache. "I can't answer anything without Darrelle being present," he said.

"Do you train Darrelle?"

"I can't answer that," Forbes said. "I don't want to say anything that might impact his situation."

He took a phone number, promising to pass it along to Revis. He disappeared behind a brown door with a "Notary" sign on it.

Revis didn't call -- no surprise -- but there was a call from someone suggesting that Revis could be hiding out at his grandmother's house. Three miles later, down Brodhead Road, Aileen Gilbert answered the door.

She beamed with pride as she talked about her grandson, yet she seemed frustrated by his holdout. How long will it last? Will Revis copy his uncle and sit out the season? She admitted Sean is a strong influence on Darrelle -- "a given," she said.

"If he does," Gilbert said of sitting out the season, "it won't be because of Sean. It'll be because the Jets don't give him a decent contract."

A cell phone rang. It was her daughter, Darrelle's mother, who heard that a reporter from New York was there, asking questions. Word travels fast in Aliquippa.

Gilbert ended the interview, politely.

Exit, Revis Island.

Rich Cimini covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com. Follow him on Twitter.

17. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Schwartz & Feinsod could learn a lesson from Drew Rosenhaus

per Glauber

18. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

No doubt there will be a poison pill of some sort preventing future holdouts etc.. At this point they can say OK DR here is $160 million deal, $40 mil guaranteed with back loaded paydays.

If he played well this year they would have executed the guaranteed $20 mil in his current deal..which would have led them to renegotiate. You don't think he would have gotten $30 mil + guaranteed in the news 5 year deal +?? Fact is he is playing a game of chicken and Rex hasn't had a defense finish worse than 6th...he did that without Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Kris Jenkins, Calvin Pace missing from lineups at different times. Does Revis truly believe this defense will falter that much without him??Hell is they run the ball well and Sanchez cuts his INT levels to 13 or under it means even less time the D has to be on the field.

19. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

You kno S&F are total douches when we'd rather have the team deal with Rosenhaus

20. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

That was the take away I got as well. They mentioned the impact of constructing a Revis deal more than once last night when explaining to Coles and others why they couldn't guarantee their contracts for the whole season, etc.

Maybe they were just using Revis's contract as an example but I gather that they wouldn't even bring his name up on TV unless there's some active negotiations going on behind the scenes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.