The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Hey, I deliver pizza. Then again I'm not holding out from a job that would pay me a million.

2. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

For the last time, winning a superbowl doesn't hinge on Revis being here or not. It is how the offense and Sanchez play.

3. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

If he doesn't show up for 16 games he supposedly get's 0$ from the Jets this season... this means he'd still owe them the fines for missing off-season work.

4. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Yeah, but his game checks will equal $1 mil themselves. If his base is exactly 1 mil, then he misses out on $62,500 a game. Any way you look at it, thats still a loss.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

They could probably go after a portion of his rookie signing bonus in that case too.

6. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Trivia: How many players have missed an entire year of football due to contract disputes? Can you name them?

7. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

I hope they don't. That would be burning bridges.

8. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

How about Italian seafood?

9. WhiteShoeWillis

lol

If he holds out the entire season the bridge has already been burned.

10. hazmat

hazmat New Member

At this point the Jets should just tell Revis that the offer is on the table from now until week 1. After the first game the Jets will not negotiate until the season is over. If he wants to risk missing an entire season and possible two seasons with a lock out go for it.

The Jets have the real leverage since Revis can't be a free agent for 3 or 4 years depending on a possible lockout. He cannot sit out for 3 or 4 years and expect to get a large contract or continue to be a player with a desire to go to the hall of fame one day.

As of right now Revis has already earned $15 million on the field. I'm sure he's making some nice money off the field as well. His family should never have to worry about eating. If he plays out his original contract he will have earned $36 million. He is not a 5th round pick making $500,000. Those guys have a legitimate reason to hold out. If they get hurt they will never have made big money playing in the NFL.

Revis is making a huge mistake by holding out. This is a guy who had a perfect image before all of this. He was considered a good guy, a top defensive player approaching his prime in New York City. The fans loved him. He is the centerpiece of the best defense in the NFL. No other coach in the NFL builds his defense around a cornerback.

Revis had everything in the world going for him. Great player, loved by the fans, best coach he could possibly ask for to maximize his ability. Playing in New York would maximize his exposure and help his brand. If he has anyone with half a clue how to manage money he should have $10 million in the bank and never have to worry about money.

Instead F&S, Geiger D-bag, his loser uncle have convinced him that getting a huge contract and right now is the best action. So what if it destroys the Jets cap and they have to get rid of other players. So what if no other player in the NFL under contract contract got a new deal this off season with a large upfront bonus.

11. WhiteShoeWillis

Patrick Willis.

12. hazmat

hazmat New Member

He received a bonus of $15.5 million up front. I'm sure Revis wants a lot more then that. He's the only player to receive a signing bonus like that.

#9892 hazmat, Sep 1, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  13. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Hazmat, Revis can not become a FA without PLAYING for three more years. And we certainly won't cut him. So the leverage is with us. Problem is, Revis doesn't wanna budge.

The $15mil he got from the Jets is probably gone by now. After tax and agent fees, he probably got like 7.5 mil. That money should be all gone by now. Im guessing he's living on his endorsement money for now, and that in itself should be plenty.

14. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

15. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

That's how I would do it too, but we don't know the numbers behind it all. We're all assuming the Jets offered 120/10 and Mevis wants 160/10 with like 80 guaranteed. There could be a lot of stuff we don't know about

16. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

He spends more than 2 mill per year!? Doubt it...

17. WhiteShoeWillis

I won't dispute that. I guess "large upfront bonus" is relative.

18. Heavy Metal Thunder

Allow me to please join in on the over-speculation, over-analysis, and conspiracy theorist paranoia that has been pervading this thread by offering my own theory.

I haven’t heard this theory anywhere but then again I admittedly haven’t read three quarters of the posts in this thread.

Fact #1 - When Tim Cowlishaw was interviewed by Brandon Tierney on 1050 shortly after his “Wednesday” tweet, he gave the following explanation: paraphrasing him, he basically said that a player holding out will often times give his agent a secret “holdout deadline” that the player is willing to holdout until. The agent plays hardball up until that date to try and get the player the biggest contract possible, and on the date, the agent accepts whatever he can get up to that point in time.

Premise A - We have to consider that there is at least real possibility that this is what was transpiring, and that Revis’ secret “holdout deadline” was that Wednesday, and that this information somehow leaked out to Cowlishaw.

Fact #2 – Logically, the concept of a “holdout deadline” as described above, would not work, if the other side (The Jets organization) became privy to this knowledge and knew that the player would eventually return on a prescribed date, accepting whatever was on the table at that point.

Premise B – If Premise A is indeed true, and Cowlishaw was right about what was transpiring, then Fact #2 applies and Revis would have lost all leverage in his negotiations with the Jets. Remember, Revis’ only leverage is the Jets fear of him not returning. In short, a bluff does not work if the other side knows it’s a bluff.

Premise C - If Premise A and Premise B both took place, there likely strategy of the Revis camp would be to abandon the original plan and try to lead the Jets into believe that Cowlishaw’s information was completely false. Did he set a new “holdout deadline” for a later date? Obviously nobody knows, and if he did the Revis camp would be sure that it didn’t leak a second time.

My Final Thesis – There is a real possibility that if Cowlishaw didn’t tweet that Revis was going to sign on Wednesday, that he indeed would have. Maybe it isn’t probable that this is how it went down, but I think you’d have a hard time arguing that it’s not at least a real possibility that this is how things transpired.

Commence bashing

#9898 Heavy Metal Thunder, Sep 1, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  19. hazmat

hazmat New Member

It's a good amount of money and perhaps close to what Revis is asking for up front versus the skill or injury guarantees for future money.

What would you do with Revis at this point?

20. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

this.........i agree totally. Revis completely missed the boat on this. He's gone from one of the most beloved Jet players in their history to one of the most reviled in a pretty short time....not to mention his overall NFL cred, his Hall of Fame potential, championship possibilities etc. all of this would have been worth much more to him in the long run.

Sean Gilbert, pfft, what the eff did he ever accomplish in the game besides getting paid? this is who he's taking advice from? weak.

I want the Jets to stand their ground here, they've shown they are willing to lock up key guys when the terms are reasonable.........

if they caved and signed him for wht he's asking, he had better not get a pass completed on him all season

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.