The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steelzeppelin

steelzeppelin Member

I feel bad for Revis, it has to be tough to be a star in the NFL. The Jets only offered him 122 million(correct me if I am wrong), how is a man supposed to support a family on that?

2. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

FWIW.........I edited this for the Haters.........

Link to Mevi$ .......Mevi$

With just 13 days left before their regular-season opener, the New York Jets and the agents for cornerback Darrelle Mevi$ are quietly continuing negotiations on a new contract. A week after a source told FanHouse the sides were "almost there," the same source relayed to FanHouse on Tuesday that the talks are complicated but still progressing, and that both sides believe they will have a deal done before the Jets open the season on Monday, Sept. 13 against the Ravens.

Mevi$ has been spending his time in Pittsburgh, working out and training on his own so that once the deal is done, he'll be ready to jump right in -- despite missing all of training camp and, so far, the entire preseason. In the meantime, while observing a mutually agreed-upon media blackout, the team and the agents have been working on the details of a complex deal intended to satisfy Mevi$' desire to be the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL.

It's unclear what the deal will eventually look like, but sources tell FanHouse that they believe it will have to set some sort of record in order to reflect Mevi$' belief, and the team's corresponding assertions, that he is the league's best cornerback.

That could mean a deal that pays Mevi$ more per year than the $15.1 million Oakland's Nnamdi Asomugha makes, though the Jets have balked at that in the past on the belief that Asomugha's deal is not reflective of where the top of the market should be. So potential compromises could include a deal that's the longest ever given to a corner, or the most in terms of total value, etc. The details are complicated because there's much to be ironed out in terms of guaranteed money and how the deal is to be structured around a potential 2011 lockout, but conversations are ongoing, and it does appear likely that the situation will get settled in time for the regular season.

"There are a lot of different possibilities still in play," the source said of the likely final structure of the deal.

The Jets continue to observe the media blackout, refusing to discuss the Mevi$ negotiations. But Jets coach Rex Ryan did say Monday that he remains confident the team can still have a great defense even without Mevi$ and linebacker Calvin Pace, who will miss the first few weeks with a foot injury.

"We can get it done," Ryan said. "We've proved it all through the years. That's all I know is great defenses. That's what we stand for. It's not about one guy or two guys. Every team is going to go through one or two guys you're going to miss. That happened last year. When we opened the season, we never had Calvin and we never had Shaun Ellis. Last year, we lost [Kris] Jenkins for a lot of it. This is what we do. We're a team defense. That's why I know our defense will play great. There's not a question in my mind that we'll play great."

Ryan talks tough, and he means and believes what he says. But there's no doubt he'll feel better once Revis is signed.

3. BADMOO

BADMOO New Member

My dog told me that the Revis situation is progressing slowly and both sides would like to have something worked out before the Ravens game. However, my bark to english translating is a little rusty, but I think I made out the words when pigs fly over the stadium.

Seriously, if THIS situation isn't a wake up call for rookie maximums, I don't know what is. Every rookie should sign a 2 year base contract with a signing bonus based on draft ranking and laden with incentives based on playing time and positional stats. THEN if a team wants to keep that player they sign a REAL contract.

4. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Some of you guys act as if fans shouldn't be at all upset at Revis. Why shouldn't we? The dude acted like a whiny bitch during the negotiations during the offseason even before Training Camp and the media blackout. Talking about being insulted, etc.

I'll still love the guy when he plays, but let's not pretend that he's some classy player that deserves more praise than he's worth on the field.

5. BADMOO

BADMOO New Member

It must be lonely on MEvi$ I$land

6. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

fyp..............

7. BADMOO

BADMOO New Member

He deserves every penny, but HE SIGNED A CONTRACT. If he's not at practice for Monday night's game, he should be sidelined WITHOUT PAY FOR THE SEASON. Then in February he can discuss whether he wants to bitch about money or sit out the rest of his contract time.

8. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

So you can praise Mangold for being classy during his negotiations and manning up by showing up to camp, but you can't criticize Revis for doing the opposite?

Sorry, that just don't make much sense to me at all.

9. Forum7200

Forum7200 Member

I was on the 4 train in NYC and saw a guy who looked like Revis signing a piece of paper, must have been him

10. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

My Mevi$ experience:

I was walking down the street in Manhattan tonight and saw Revis. He was taking pictures with babies.

I had a chance to talk to him and he had just came from the Ronald MacDonald house, spending the entire day there as he always does. He says it makes him so happy to work with kids and give back to the community, not too mention it gets him away from teh grind of the media.

He said tomorrow he is going to the War Veterans charity and giving 5% of his future earnings to the War Veterans injured in Iraq.

He said later in the week he is going to the sperm bank and donate so that Tommy Green may have kids when he gets married.

He refused to talk about his contract when I asked. I respected this.

On the whole he is such a classy wonderful guy and us Jets fans are so blessed to have him in our lives..........

11. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Boom Headshot..........

12. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I am on Revis' side but I also do not agree with the hard line stance...it's a little OTT.
    That said,
    We really have to question how much is him ...as u say...acting like a whiny bitch and how much is actually the agents acting like pricks.

It almost seems as if it's more of a pissing contest between Tannywood and the Agents.
    There are times during HardKnocks where Tanny seems a little arrogant (not saying he is) but it brings into question how much we actually know of all the parties involved.

and you still owe me money ...kinda ironic no?

13. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Haha. Dude, you know exactly what I meant.

You can't have it both ways. If you're going to praise a player like Mangold and D'Brick, as you have, you can't say that you don't have an opinion on what Revis is doing.

Post about it all you want. I ain't buying it.

14. Forum7200

Forum7200 Member

This must have been before I saw him on the 4 Train

15. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread (Obama addressed the nation)

Everyone should be upset with Revis, but not to the extent some have taken it, and certainly not to the extent that you want to use him to hurt the team.

And the name Mevidollarsign is just gay.

16. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

It wasn't just his agents. He was pretty vocal about it before Training Camp. I'm not in the "Mevi$" camp, so I'm not criticizing the guy for negotiating for more money. What I am saying is that the way he and his agents went about the whole thing stinks and made me lose respect for him. Does that matter on the field? Hell no. Ray Lewis killed a fuckn' guy, but I'd take him on my team in a second.

17. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

I call BS. I heard that Aso rode the 7 train last time he was in NYC. Since there is no 8 train you could have only seen Revis on the 9 train.

18. Nacho Sanchez

Nacho Sanchez New Member

this can turn into the new Aristocrats...the Arevocrats...yes

19. Nacho Sanchez

Nacho Sanchez New Member

this family is walking down the street in NY and they see Darrelle Revis... he is............................when hes all done the family asks him what Darrelle calls it. He says the Arevocrats

20. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Of course all of that is dumb, but it's not just a few fans that are angry, it's a sizable majority. The ones who are being rational about this is clearly the minority, but there are others who think its absurd to even question what Revis is doing. I have a problem with that point of view. Like, get off your high horses already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.