The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Update: Nothing yet.....

2. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

The let him rot perspective is certainly emotionally driven, but not purely so by any means.

If you put Revis on the trading block and the only offers that come in are 4th/5th round kind of deals, then what is the greater benefit -

A) Moving him for a 4th round pick

or

B) Hanging onto him and making him adhere to the service time owed, thus refusing to set the precedent that you can force your way out of a Jets contract.

I agree that letting him rot in the face of a nice trade option is counterproductive and irrational, but what if no one is willing to give up anything other than a relatively inconsequential pick (which is certianly a possibility considering his stubborness and demands in this hypothetical)?

What has more value - making the statement that you can't do this to the Jets, or gaining a late round pick for an elite player with multiple years left on his contract?

3. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I would guess before the 2011 draft. Your not going to aquire the help this year that would be worth giving up any hope of Revis playing. Trade talks, would need to be done in the offseason.

4. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

whoa whoa whoa, why the fuck would any team even waste their time offering a 4th round pick for Revis??? The Jets have no incentive to move him, they're not gonna trade him unless they get a ton in return.

5. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread (No deal yet.)

Way to rapidly back off your earlier position of certainty.

Why will he come back? Because he stands to lose a lot more than he stands to gain by missing real games. Again, his absence in the preseason only matters to his team and its fans. That's why you haven't heard the damning proclamations from anyone else, including the media. That changes as soon as he misses a real game. He knows he doesn't really NEED the preseason. His role is largely independent of those around him. It's a unique position, and one he's exploited. In fact, I was just told this weekend that he probably won't miss a step coming in at the last moment, again given his position.

You ask why he would suddenly cave and take our big offer. I'm not sure he will. I'd imagine he's trying to squeeze his long term deal out of the FO, but he has a date in mind when he'll take the shorter deal that's been offered and try again in the future. We all thought that date would come last week, but again, given how little a man on an island really needs the preseason, it was silly to assume he'd put such a high premium on the 3rd preseason game. Given that he's a rare talent just coming into his own and trying to build a brand in an age in which we hold athletes accountable for their off field behavior, I think he does put a high premium on the regular season.

And once again, I point to VJax. His agents have been very vocal about his situation. He's been out there in the media, pleading his case and threatening to miss the season. In the local market (really the only one that matters) there have been public accusations flung around. Even before the media blackout, we didn't hear from Revis personally. Why? Because he has no intention to miss real game time and because his team knows he's in a ridiculous position and is much more concerned about his image.

6. AJayJay

AJayJay New Member

JW, who told you this?

7. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Why can't you just answer the question?! ZOMG! It's driving me crazy. I need to know.

8. Snatch Catch

That was my point in defense of saying "I hope they let him rot" was not a purely emotional reaction.

9. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I've been saying that for a while. The Jets want to get this done. They wouldn't have gone to Revis after the season promising to re-work his contract if they truly didn't intend on doing so. They're not gonna pull that offer

10. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Ugh. I'm, like, totally bummed now!

11. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree...

12. ........

........ Trolls

I'm sorry, I don't discuss fairy tales. Let me know when you're ready to counter with a scenario that would ever happen.

13. ........

........ Trolls

Three former pros.

14. Benny Bing

Benny Bing New Member

15. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Jeah but Jackson's situation is different...

1) Because of where he is in his contract

2) Because the Chargers GM is one of the biggest a**holes in the NFL.

PS Nice article though...

#9035 Mambo9, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  16. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

A 4th round pick? Hell, I'll chip in for that.

My guess that if he does get traded next offseason, it's something along the lines of a 1 and a 3 or two 2s, something like that.

If he's traded now, then it could be more; much more depending on which owners really want him.

17. Snatch Catch

If that's not realistic, then how is saying that I hope the Jets let him rot a "purely emotional" reaction?

1) I hope they sign him to a fair deal.

2) If no fair deal is to be had, I hope they trade him for a nice return.

3) If no nice return is to be had, I hope they let him rot.

18. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread (Update: Nothing yet)

That's fair. You should probably re-read the last paragraph of your initial post before you contest this was your position all along. #2 was conspicuously absent.

19. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

If he holds out for the first two games and the Jets are sitting at 2-0 without him, I hope Tanny rips up the offer and then tells him we are doing find without you but here's an offer of 10 yrs. 80 mil...take it or continue to sit out. Of course I would rather have him for week 1 but just don't see that happening.

20. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

That's going to be my list of priorities too... where:

1) means 10 yrs, 135 mill max

2) at least 2 1sts or a 1st, a 2nd and a conditional 2/3 (depending on the team)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.