The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

It never gets old.

2. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread (No deal yet.)

Given his position, I'm not nearly as concerned about it as I would be if it were a lineman, linebacker, QB, RB, Safety...hell, anyone but a kicker or punter.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Bets like this are unproductive because life is an 80/20 proposition and 20 does happen fairly often. That said, I think if the Jets don't move off of their current position that there's no way that Revis makes the move to come in as long as there's a reasonable chance that his leverage increases early in the season.

With the Ravens and Patriots coming into the new stadium the first two games there is a fairly high random chance that the Jets could be 0-2 headed into week 3 and headed for Miami to play the Dolphins. Revis would never have higher leverage than at that point. So I think barring a move by the Jets that Revis holds out to wait until his leverage is at its potential highpoint to make a move himself.

He's already run a go-for-broke scenario on the Jets all off-season, asking for a ridiculous contract and withholding his services in the process, this despite an ironclad contractual tie to the team that he cannot control in any way. The last thing he's likely to do is cave-in and report when there are two major factors, those two games, left to play out.

Why would he report at this point without getting what he has been holding out for? If he had some real compromise in him he wouldn't have put the organzation, it's fans and himself through what we've gone through for the last 4+ months.

Now if you get to game 3 and his gamble has failed, because the Jets are prospering in his absence, then I think he might finally reach the compromise that 99.9% of players would have reached months ago and take the huge deal that has been offered instead of the huger deal he wants.

#9003 Br4d, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  4. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Didn't Revis show up to mini camp earlier this year? Not that it's relevant

5. YankeeRacers

YankeeRacers Member

It just seems like this is their M.O. with their clients. I can promise in 9,000 posts about this it's been discussed, but it's fact this is how these guys play the game Svengali or no. In my opinion it shows their lack of leverage because all of these situations have turned in the Jets favor eventually.

Baker said his agent, Jonathan Feinsod, reached out to the Jets about a week ago. Feinsod declined to comment.

Baker, 29, said he had no issue with the team's decision to place him on the physically-unable-to-perform list. He has a sore back and expects to be practicing "pretty soon." He doesn't want to be traded.

"I want to be here," said Baker, who boycotted the offseason program.

Maybe the Jets learned a lesson from last summer, when their camp was filled with turmoil - Kendall's ugly divorce and a lengthy holdout by rookie Darrelle Revis. A year after fighting for a six-year deal with Revis, they settled for five with Gholston.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f..._pick_vernon_gholston_to_f.html#ixzz0y6Yq1RrG

6. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Just got back into town. Anyone know if Revis has signed yet?

7. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

I hope they lower the offer by a significant amount (maybe $1 million/year) for each game he holds out, so after 2 games his contract is 10 years for $100 million.

8. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I don't know...I think it would send an incredible message to the players and the league if the Jets let him rot for 3 years. There are a lot of players on record that would love to play for Rex. What's Revis problem? An assnine contract demand. It's not an irrational response. Who, exactly, are you going to trade for? No team is going to pull that trigger.

9. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

Yes, yes he did. He said he did it for Rex.

10. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

Awesome, but Detroit wouldn't be able to afford him.

And I don't think they'd give up what you think they'd give up to get Revis.

That contract thing drives down his price.

11. pisano24

pisano24 Member

Revis will play for this team in 2010. It may be the first game or the second - but he will play. Preseason doesn't matter and we are all overreacting to this because we bleed green and are worried that he is the key piece to the super bowl puzzle... which he is.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yup. If the Jets were desperate enough to need to unload Revis, they would lose a ton of leverage in trade talks because of his asking price. It would be a sacrifice to rid themselves of a headache. Trading is the worst possible scenario in the Jets/Revis situation.

13. pisano24

pisano24 Member

Seriously - I don't care where you were - it would have made the news!

14. Br4d

What's really freaking amazing about all of this is that the Jets have essentially stuffed Schwartz and Feinsod twice already and yet they chose to make this a high profile fight in a situation in which, once again, the Jets have the leverage on their side. You'd think that S&F would have done everything they could to work out a one year bandaid that got Revis in so that they'd have better leverage in a year when the prospect of paying 20 million guaranteed was staring the Jets in the face and making Revis bargaining position better.

The Vincent Jackson holdout is somewhat understandable because he got screwed by the CBA opt-out provisions and is rightly angry that he missed his big payday just before a potential lockout. VJ is probably going to make out ok in the end, although nowhere near what he would have made if he was a UFA. The Revis situation is a total clusterfuck in comparison.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Is that a maybe?

16. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Assuming that scenario were to happen - is it safe to say Revis is sitting at home rooting for the Jets to lose so he can collect his ransom?

17. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Using logic I'd agree... but there are many owners out there who have no idea what logic is... and we only need one who's crazy enough to pull a good deal for Revis.

I wonder if the Jets had preliminary talks with other teams about a possible trade... my guess is no. I wonder at what point they'll consider it...

18. Br4d

I have no idea what Revis is thinking and wouldn't care to venture a guess. He clearly holds himself above the team, given his demands, but it's probably very complicated after that.

I think it's fair to say that the Jets are probably the only team that might meet his contract demands at this point given the other considerations in play. That being the case he has to be thinking long-term contract with the Jets as his best option by fair.

Would he root for the Jets to lose those first two games? I'd think that he might be more likely to hope they won shootouts with Flacco and Brady lighting up the Jets but losing anyway. If he thought the only way he got 160 million with 40 million guaranteed was if the Jets lost those two games? No clue.

19. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Yes, but has to hope its the defense, not the offense that is the problem. If we lose 9 - 6 and 7 -3 then we are not caving to his demands. Hell if we hold them both under 20 I doubt we move at all. Revis is playing chicken with Woody and Mike T and its a game I doubt he'll win. I alos hope he does not win, because giving anyone who is not a QB that high a % of the cap is the quickest way to an 8-8 or owrse team for years to come.

20. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

After the season would be my guess. Imo, this still gets resolved before the season starts but there's obviously still a good chance it doesn't. I don't think he gets traded mid-season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.