The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJayJay

AJayJay New Member

Did you read the article on the site about Revis?

http://www.sffootball.net/news.asp?Article_ID=438

2. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread (No deal yet.)

I don't think it's blinking at the last moment; I think they have a planned end date for his holdout. Again, he's in an ENTIRELY different situation than VJax and Sean Gilbert. That's why VJax has been publicly stating his willingness to hold out this season and Revis has been kept quiet. They're trying to get what they can by the start of the season without losing endorsements (let's be honest, no one outside of Jets fans really cares that he's holding out until he's missing games). He'll sign in time to be ready for Week 1. There is very little incentive for him to hold out into the season, unlike the other clients F&S have had. His agents are assholes; they're not stupid.

3. ........

........ Trolls

I'd even be willing to place a bet on it. Br4dw4y says there's "no way" this ends before week 3. I say it makes no sense for it to go that long. How about, if he signs before Week3, you leave for a month? If he doesn't, I do.

4. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

I'm gonna ask my sister to do that. I was honestly thinking the same thing(get a female involved)

5. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

That picture makes it look like they are headed off to the gym to pump each other.

6. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

and if the Jets win those games, Revis' leverage goes down the crapper with my turds.

7. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Personally that's a raw deal, your time is more valuable here and it will be much needed during those division rival games.

I say 1 week for his 4.

No offense Br4dw4y -- :up:

8. Hobbes3259

You and your man hit a little rough patch ???? :rofl2:

(J/K Bro!)

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Why choose a bet that lowers the intellect on the forum no matter what? How about this:

Bway 5ux loses, soxxx gets banned for 2 months. Iggy loses, Insanity gets banned for 2 months.

10. ........

........ Trolls

Valid point. That sounds like a better bet.

11. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

12. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

haha ya prick.

13. Hobbes3259

So full of win.

14. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

:rofl: :rofl:

Seriously though, people need to get over this intense hatred of the agents. They aren't Svengali. If Revis was interested in compromising to get on the field, he would tell his agents to get a deal done for less and they would. They work for Revis, not the other way around.

15. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Preach on, WSW!

I respect the "we don't know for certain what's going on" line of defense because in reality it's true, but I've grown really weary of the mocking "it's so irrational to be angry with the guy and wish him ill."

At this point we know three very important things:

1. 1) The Jets have negotiated extensions with 2 of the best young players in the league, and as WSW posted in a separate thread, Mangold's contract specifically shows to be incredibly fair for the player.
    2. 2) Schwartz and Feinsod have a proven track record as having no interest at all in anything outside of the contract their player receives, and that contract demand is frequently based on an illogical number. This is evidenced by the fact that this not nearly the first time this has happened with these agents, and even worse, not the first time this has happened with these agents and the Jets.
    3. 3) Sean Gilbert at the very least has been giving Revis advice, and at worst is one of his main pillars of support in this situation. This speaks for itself.

It's plainly obvious that Darrelle Revis is not an "NFL player holding out for his one big payday," nor is he just "trying to make sure his family is taken care of because this is a very risky business." I understand those arguments, and have personally seen them play out with a friend of mine whom I rooted for to hold out for the most money possible, but this is not about that anymore. This is a guy following the lead of multiple men who are seeking for Revis to make a personal monetary statement, having ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH FOOTBALL OR LIFE. This is about who has the biggest rooster (which is a competition Mangold unfortunately can no longer compete in since his broke off), not who is the best CB, who means the most to his team, or who wants to be remembered as the greatest.

At this point I don't see any reason to call a Jets fan irrational for having enough animosity towards Revis to wish that the team trades him for something good, or simply forges on without him and lets him rot. I think everyone is in complete agreement that having Revis back on the field is the best case scenario, but considering that Revis is being backed by a group that is the NFL equivalent of Latin American kidnappers, it's tough to believe that there are fair and level-headed negotiations going on.

So in conclusion, Revis can go eff himself. I want him to comeback and help the team because I love the Jets, but if a reasonable deal cannot be reached, then I hope that his career is destroyed as the Jets sit on his 3 years of service time owed. He has decidedly chosen this path by the people he's surrounded himself with and each step he's taken this offseason, so I have no problem with him reaping the whirlwind. Posters can laugh and say "that's productive" sarcastically, but I actually think that at some point that actully IS the only productive avenue.

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Exactly. It's like getting a divorce and complaining about the tactics your wife's lawyer uses. She has been told about and approves of everything the lawyer does, trust me.

Now, it is possible they are giving Revis bad advice. But they will not last long in the business if they do that.

It's all about market economics.

17. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

+1, working out a local high school with a no name trainer is not the same as going 1 on 1 vs braylon edwards, holmes, cotch every day. Plus the entire secondary except for Leonhard has been revamped, so he should have been in camp with his new teammates. He'll still be good but there is no way he will be as sharp if he participated in camp. Honestly, there is a part of me that hopes he never plays for the Jets again. My perfect scenario would be him missing the whole season, Jets winning the SB and the player being traded to Detroit or Cleveland after a new CBA is in place.

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

This is why every day that goes by I find it more and more strange that the FO has not made a move, a real move, to beef up the secondary roster. That might also give them more leverage over Revis. Doing nothing, like what the FO did when Kendall left, is not a great strategy in a number of respects.

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Anyone else find it funny that the Jets are waiting to possibly sign Thomas and Coles after Week 1 so they don't have to guarentee veteran's minimum contracts, yet have a 10 year, 120 million dollar deal out there for Revis and he is laughing at it? Crazy.

20. ........

........ Trolls

I don't have a problem with anyone who wants to see Revis traded. Not in the slightest. I may consider it a mild overreaction at this point, but it helps the team.

The 'let him rot' response, however, is purely an emotional reaction to the situation and hurts the team we all purportedly root for considerably. I in no way consider that response appropriate for someone who wants to see the team win. Regardless of how we feel about the player, we should wish for the teams' success above all else. I'm pissed at Revis at this point, but I'd rather see him on another team than sitting at home for 3 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.