The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't find it hard to believe at all. The Jets have Revis under contract. That's the underlying fact that everything else is based on. They're not going to throw a bunch of guaranteed money at a player who they think will hold out again when the weather changes.

It's an ugly situation that isn't going to get any better. There's too much at stake and one side in the negotiations has no leverage other than that given it by the other side.

There's no way the holdout doesn't go until at least game 3 at this point. The Jets aren't going to throw money at Revis unless they get off to a bad start. Even then the bad start is more likely to be on the offensive side than the defensive based on what we're seeing in camp. On the flip side if the Jets get off to a hot start then Revis leverage goes to close to zero and the prospect of them throwing a large amount of money at Revis does also. Then this drags on all season with the argument from the Revis camp (and all the noise on the Jets in sports media) being about whether or not the Jets can win a Super Bowl without Darrelle Revis.

Of course there's always the chance the Woody and the Jets buckle and give Revis the huge contract which would likely cause problems in the locker room - especially if the Jets aren't winning because the offense is floundering, contribute to a bloated cap the minute one is reinstated, cause Woody no end of grief in dealing with the other owners and other players coming for their pound of flesh and make Al Davis cackle and rub his hands together in glee that he caused one more moment of great pain for a team that he hates with a passion and always has. This would be the worst case scenario, but since this is the Jets we have to prepare for it.

2. FazeOne17

FazeOne17 Active Member

What does tyree have to do with revis? they would be on the same team....

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Refusing to give him guaranteed money in a new deal for the reason you claim would be nothing more than chest pounding by Tannenbaum to show who was in charge. I highly doubt that's what's going on here.

Everyone wants a deal to get done, and obviously a deal will need to include guaranteed money.

4. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

I cannot understand his mentality at all , he deserves to be paid and will get paid eventually ... but all of us would die to be elite athletes. He has worked tirelessly to get this far and now when he has it all he is willing to miss games / season for x amount of millions? He has already earnt $20 million , its not like he was a 6th rnd pick from Fuckwit University .

He has earnt a large amount already and I can understand him avoiding training camp to prevent injury but to miss real games/the competition and all you worked for is plain crazy.

5. Br4d

It's not a question of giving him guaranteed money or not, it's more a question of giving him a lot of guaranteed money or not. There's no good reason to give a player who has held out twice $30 million dollars to fuel his next hold out. Revis wants a lot of guaranteed money and that's just a very shaky looking proposition from the Jets point of view. It gives the team most of the risk, which in the best of situations is dicey, but when you are dealing with a player who has no conscience about how his actions affect the team it becomes an almost impossible position to be in.

Mevis is a reality. The Jets have to take that reality into account in every decision they make.

#8945 Br4d, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  6. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

He's saying that the outcome of the game could have been so drastically changed that that play never occurs.

Heck, we can even say that maybe with Revis the Giants make the playoffs as a higher seed and maybe they play some other team and lose. Who knows?

7. WhiteShoeWillis

If you want to lock him up long term, you have to give him a big chunk of guaranteed money. That's just how it works in the NFL. You know that. If they didn't want to lock him up long term maybe it would be a different story.

I understand the concern, maybe they can include payback clauses for holdouts.

8. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

I know his teammates are saying one thing but privately I wonder if they are behind his antics...

I can't help but remember watching the guy who broke his leg in the Superbowl for the Bengals. He would have done anything to be there and would have taken the Broken leg again just to say he was there. The antics of our elite cb jeopardise everyone's hopes of a SB and that has to trickle down at some point.

9. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Dude, can't afford for Mangold to go on the DCL (Disabled Cock List)

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

It gets harder and harder to feel optimistic about the Jets' SB chances, but I think his real leverage is more to do with the playoffs than the first three or four games. I agree that the O is an issue right now and may not be fixed until perhaps the second quarter of the season, but even if it is, and Jets are wining games without Revis, I don't like this team's SB chances without him.

11. Br4d

I see the point. Then probably the Jets should not be looking to lock Revis up long-term. They should be looking to sign a 4 year deal or alternately have Revis play out his contract and hit the market.

Giving Revis a huge deal right now has one very positive aspect to it: the Jets have Revis for the near future. Matching that are several very negative aspects that stretch from the field to the locker room to the NFL board room. The Jets would be better off just getting a few years of safety out of the whole process, since having Revis under contract is no guarantee that you have anything other than what he gave you last year.

If the Jets were to give Revis 30 million guaranteed they'd be better off giving him a 4 year deal worth 50 million with 30 guaranteed than a 10 year deal worth 120 million with the same 30 guaranteed.

In the first scenario they hold a huge club over Revis head if he holds out during the 4 years since they can recover prorated portions of the signing bonus whenever he holds out. In that scenario the long-term damage to the cap is limited and the Jets can assess whether or not Revis is worth the investment as the deal nears it's conclusion.

In the megadeal scenario the Jets are stuck with cap ramifications moving off into the distant future and are always trading off the huge cap numbers that Revis salary and prorated bonus create each season versus the production he gives them on the field. Every time that somebody signs a huge deal with more guaranteed money in it the prospect of a Revis holdout will be a factor they have to deal with.

The short deal with a lot of guaranteed money gives the Jets the flexibility to cut and run if they need to while the long term deal offers only Revis that flexibility.

12. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I keep reading about how the Jets without Revis have no shot. I keep reading that the Jets have a good chance to go 0-2, 0-3, or even 0-4 without Revis. What happens, though, if the Jets come out and just tear it up? Does Tanny say, f u, we don't need you, we're lowing our offer? I mean if Revis wants to play this game, then I'd hope that's what Tanny does. Fight fire with fire.

Personally, if he doesn't sign by around week 4, I'd trade him for some 1st and 2nd rounders. Save the money and resign everyone else who needs a contract.

13. WhiteShoeWillis

I'd prefer the short term deal anyway. Let someone else overpay when he starts to decline. I couldn't care less if he retires a Jet at this point, he's a selfish prick.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Did LT in 1990, Emmitt Smith in 1993 and Michael Strahan in 2007 jeapoardize their teams chances at a SB w/ their holdouts?

The man that broke his leg was Tim Krumrie.

15. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I think if we tear it up and Cro and Wilson look unstoppable together Revis is fucked. He loses all leverage, and I'm sure that has to be in their heads.

Despite what some say our first unit has looked great. Losing Pace is a big blow for this Revis deal IMO, having the lockdown CB sure would be nice right now. Just to allow us to send more guys.

I hope this comes true, that Monday night when we face the Ravens and we hold them to a FG. That would be a nice kick in the nuts for Revis.

16. pimentel79

pimentel79 Member

The word here in NY is, since Pace is out, and Taylor's filling his slot chances of signing Revis is greater.

My question"- Revis hasn't been practicing, or playing any pre-season games. Don't you think when he finally decides to sign, he will not be in the athletic form he should be in, do to him missing so many games and practices? I feel that might be a little detrimental.

17. WhiteShoeWillis

The word? The word from whom? word.

18. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

The sources say.

LOL

19. pimentel79

pimentel79 Member

Local news.

20. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!