The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottso

Scottso Member

I'm the one with the big tits right on your left...

2. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Revis is gone. I dont see him playing for us ever again. Good riddance.

3. nycgoons

nycgoons New Member

oh hell i agree

4. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

He could pay Revis, but perhaps there'd be a salary cap in the future? Perhaps, paying him $160 mil has the potential to destroy team chemistry? About the stadium, I guess you were fine not having our own stadium for so many years, decades in fact. What, previous owners had no money to build one?

NFL is business, but the way it works is, you try and win a few championships to get more national exposure, resulting in higher revenues.

Revis is not to be blamed for? Jets are offering him a contract not seen in the NFL ever before but he wants 30% more money than that. Still he's not at fault?

Jets do have a history of double talk, but which team doesn't? What does that have to do with Revis anyways? Jets are offering him about a $100 millions and a 7 years extension (essentially). How can you say the double talk has anything to do with Revis? Revis held out HIMSELF to get a 6th year added on his rookie contract. And now HE is the one who wants to tear that contract up, regardless of his performance. Don't accuse the Jets of double standards just cuz they told a player they'd give him a new contract/more money. Players do it all the time, but since they are players, their double standards are not taken in to account. If you're going to say teams cut players as well, that is why there are guarantees in the contracts, and the ONLY money the players know they will get for sure are the guaranteed ones. They know that BEFORE they sign the contracts.

Woody has been one of the finest NFL owners in the league in the last decade. He promised three things. State of the art practice facility, state of the art stadium, and super bowl(s). He's achieved two. The third one is under progress. He has paid tons of money towards this team. He's probably made tons as well, but not many owners pay millions and millions of dollars each year in FA. Jets have been one of the most active teams in recent years in FA and an owner has a lot to say about it.

5. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Your avatar is already pretty distracting.

6. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

What makes the situation so sticky and tough to evaluate is Revis' importance to this specific 2010 Jets team.

Because we have a young, inexperienced QB and no elite pass-rushing threat (and now Pace's injury), Revis becomes that much more important to the Defense/team's success because he alone can eliminate the opponent's best WR, which compensates for the deficiencies in the other aforementioned areas.

But is this season and this team all-or-nothing?

If, let's say Gholston, somehow transforms into a demon pass-rusher (unlikely, I know, but for the sake of argument), then we'd all see just how unnecessary Revis really is to winning a SB. The combination of pass-rush and QB performance far outweighs the importance of one CB. However, this current team doesn't have an elite player at either position (pass-rusher, QB), so Revis' importance is magnified.

If you took Revis' 2009 performance and placed him on the 2007 Giants (which shut down one of the best Offenses in NFL history), the Giants win the SB. If you took the same Giants team and replaced Revis with Cory Webster, the Giants still win the Superbowl because of their front 7. So, on that team (great pass-rush and very good QB play), Revis isn't nearly as important.

Eventually, Rex will build a Jets D with a fearsome pass-rush without needing to blitz so many guys and therefore rely on the DBs. Why break the bank for one guy who eventually won't be as necessary to winning Superbowls as he is for this one season?

#8906 The Uniform Bomber, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  7. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

I know, her hair is pretty wet.

8. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread (No deal yet.)

First off despite what some Jet fans feel I'm glad the stadium is still in NJ.

Woody has done everything Tanny has asked including the Favre move and opening negotiations with a player who had 3 years left on his Rookie deal.

As far as players are concerned what more would you have him do? I'm glad they're not caving to his demands, that would set a horrible precedent.

The stadium was not a slap in the face to me. It's easier for me to get to, and tailgating would've been a bitch in Manhattan. That's not even including traffic.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

How do you know the 2007 Giants would have won a Super Bowl with Revis but without Strahan, as an example? If there was no salary cap then I'd say pay Darrelle Revis whatever it takes to keep him on the team as long as you're willing to maybe double your overall payroll to satisfy all the other people who would step forward with their mid-contract demands and hold out until they got what they wanted.

In a salary cap situation the odds are pretty good that you can't fit Revis and Strahan in the same defense so you begin to have trade-offs. I think it's very debatable whether or not Revis under his current demands would have been a positive for that Giants team, just as I think it's very debatable whether he would help the Jets.

The last Pro Bowl starter or reserve cornerback (not alternates after people started ducking out - the people who were voted to the teams) who won the Super Bowl the same season was Ty Law in 2004 (after the Patriots second Super Bowl win in January 2004). That makes 6 seasons now where none of the top cornerbacks won the Super Bowl. This in an era when passing is at a huge premium due to the number of great QB's and the very strict rules passed against aggressive pass defense. The fact that Champ Bailey and Nnamdi Asomugha and Darrelle Revis and Charles Woodson and Assante Samuel aren't winning Super Bowls tells us a lot about the relative value of the position. It's reasonable to say that there has never been as much talent active at the same time at cornerback as in the last few years, but none of those guys are winning championships, this despite passing records being broken almost every season.

10. steves850

steves850 Active Member

He owes us the years, I don't see the Jets letting him out of the contract. They own him.

11. steves850

steves850 Active Member

I have no problem with the Stadium being in Jersey. My problem is being co-tenants yet again. Obviously we wont feel like second class citizens after we win the SB tho.

12. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Oh for the days of a Gerry Philbin,Johnny Sample,Joe Klecko , Cmart and Chrebet.

Players who played their ass off and never held out.

Revis may be a great player but in 24 months time he will pull the same shit with his $30 mill tucked away nicely.

Its a sad state of sports in general across the globe, bunch of fucking mercenaries!!

13. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

No. I either wasn't clear enough or you misread what I wrote.

Take the 2007 Giants team - the exact team that won the Superbowl - and put Revis on that team in 2007 (based on his 2009 performance) starting over Cory Webster. The Giants defeat the Pats to win the Superbowl with Revis.

Now, remove Revis from that 2007 team and replace him with Cory Webster. The Giants STILL defeat the Pats to win the Superbowl. We know this because that's exactly what happened; the Giants won with their front-7 that dominated opposing Offense's passing-game.

The point being that with/without Revis, that 2007 Giants team wins the SB and it wasn't because of an elite CB, or even a great Secondary for that matter.

14. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread (No deal yet.)

I've been saying all along we can win without Revis. As much as I hate to admit it, our front 7 does not compare to how insanely well the Giants of 07 were playing.

That was just a special rub where they were all in the zone so to speak.

15. nycgoons

nycgoons New Member

the matter of the fact is al davis gave a cornerback a quarterback salary and the jets front office had to open there mouth and say revis is the best corner and we have to resign you, as much i agree with what you said. NFL is business first then play

16. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

You can apply that to most tops sports players, just put PLC after their name.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

You can apply it to all professional sports, period.

18. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Curling? :rofl:

19. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Rotoworld:

The Jets "don't even know where [Darrelle Revis] is," according to FOX's Jay Glazer.

After a spat of erroneous reports about the Jets meeting with Revis last week, we can officially say that the two sides are not close. Revis' camp is obviously not bluffing and it appears very unlikely that he'll cave before the regular starts. The Jets are going to have to guarantee him around $30 million to get him signed.
    Source: Jay Glazer on Twitter

20. vanyjetsfan

vanyjetsfan Member

Don't know if they do win the Super Bowl. Maybe with Revis on the team, Tyree doesn't make that catch. Who knows all the ramifications of chaos theory aka the butterfly effect

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.