The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I read over at thejetsblog.com that he has been in Pitt all along working out at a local gym and H.S.

2. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread (No deal yet.)

Brick and Mangold are guaranteed money, if they get cut they both make a minimum of around $20 million. I'll check when I'm on a pc.

3. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

D'Brickashaw Ferguson's Contract Not Quite As Advertised

Occasionally when someone signs a new, fancy contract the agent leaks it to the media and inflates the numbers to make them seem better than they really are. Eventually though the real numbers come out.

The latest is D'Brickashaw Ferguson who just signed a reported six-year, $60 million extension and $34.8 million guaranteed with the Jets.

The real numbers, according to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, are far less.

The contract constitutes, as a practical matter, a one-year, $5.3225 million arrangement with no other guaranteed money earned or vested through the end of the 2010 season.

The amount comes from a base salary of $622,500, a signing bonus of $1.6 million due within five days of July 15, 2010, and a roster bonus of $3.1 million due within five days of July 15, 2010.

There's basically a lot of fluff in there to make the numbers seem bigger. For example, $1.3 million of the reported $60 million can be earned if Ferguson blocks seven punts each year. Seven blocked punts for the starting left tackle?

More importantly, though, is that none of the big numbers are guaranteed for injury. In other words, if Ferguson is injured during this training camp, the Jets can get out of the contract and pay him a fraction of his reported $34.8 million "guaranteed" money.

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/7/7/1556860/dbrickashaw-ferguson-contract-extension-jets

I am very sorry for quoting Florio, but it was the first article on google.

4. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

LOL @ the blocked punt thing...i remember when i first heard about it i spit my drink out

5. MadBacker Prime

Mangold's deal has $22.5 million guaranteed against injury. Which is how it's written due to the reallocation rule. Brick chose the skill guaranteed money and took out a insurance option.

That covers then for 2010, no matter what Mangold does he'll earn that minimum.

Revis has to accept that, I doubt he's getting a $30 million signing bonus.

6. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

They have to be on the roster at some point in January I believe for the guarantees to fully kick in. Regardless, Revis doesn't want this skill/injury guarantee. This is what he means when he says not one penny was "fully guaranteed."

7. hazmat

hazmat New Member

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Brick-House.html

NFP»Columns»The Busine$$ of Football
    RSS
    Ferguson-Jets deal has wins for each side. Andrew Brandt
    Print ThisSend ThisJULY 20, 2010, 11:01 AM EST5 COMMENTS
    I remember the signings at the top of the 2006 Draft well. After being used to first-round picks late in the round with the Packers such as Javon Walker (20), Nick Barnett (29), Ahmad Carroll (25) and Aaron Rodgers (24), I was now staring down the barrel of a top 5 pick.

Hawk and Brick look alike

With Reggie Bush and Vince Young, two skill players sure to have large escalators right above us, we tried to create some sort of financial certainty in our deal with AJ Hawk. We negotiated a five-year deal with a sixth year at the Franchise number for a linebacker or $10 million, whichever was higher, and the Jets did the same right above us with D’Brickashaw Ferguson. Now that cost certaintly has paid off for the Jets and Ferguson, with that year replaced as part of a long-term extension.

As is my aim in analyzing contracts, I hope to show both sides rather than serve agendas. Here’s a look at Ferguson’s deal, one of startlingly few large contract extensions in uncapped 2010, a year that has not gone well for player contracts:

Ferguson previously had a nonguaranteed salary of $3.1 million this year. That number has been replaced by the following:

Signing Bonus: $1.6 million
    Roster Bonus: $3.092 million (now earned)
    Salary: $630,000

Thus, in 2010, Ferguson now makes $5.322 million instead of $3.1 million, an increase of $2.222 million with all but the minimum salary guaranteed.

2011 Option

Ferguson has a $3.9 million option bonus that the Jets can exercise “between the end of the 2010 NFL season and the first game played in the season that follows the 2010 NFL season”. The language protects the team from paying out the money in the event of a lockout and provides that the player makes the money no later than when football resumes if there is a work stoppage. This may be a template for what is done with options in first-round rookie deals ahead.

The option is "backed" by a non-exercise clause, meaning either the option is exercised, extending the deal through the option year (2017) or, if the option is not exercised, the non-exercise clause pays him that same $3.9 million.

2011-2013

These years have the following base salaries, which become entirely guaranteed for skill if Ferguson is on the roster on February 15, 2011.

2011: $5.615 million
    2012: $9.985 million
    2013: $7.25 million

There are also workout bonuses of $750,000 each year in the event Ferguson participates in at least 40 of the 48 offseason workouts in the Jets’ program.

The amount for these three years plus the option is thus $29 million which, assuming Ferguson satisfies his workout requirements, is fully guaranteed as long as he on the team in February. Combined with 2010 money, Ferguson’s guarantee number is $34.3 million.

2014-2017

As nonguaranteed salaries, these numbers do not have a lot of meaning, but here they are:

2014: $5.95 million
    2015: $5.95 million
    2016: $8.625 million
    2017: $11.275 million

Also in these years, the $750,000 workout bonuses are in place, as are $1 million training camp completion bonuses, a way to insure that the player reports and fulfills his obligations without protest through training camp and before the real checks kick in in September. There are also some phony incentives of $1.1 million in the latter two years of the deal for compliance with the 30% that have no meaning to the reality of the deal.

Again, for a team that released Alan Faneca two years after making him the highest paid guard in the history of the NFL, these nonguaranteed numbers don’t mean much more than window dressing at this point.

The guarantee

There are two types of guarantee: (1) skill guarantees protects payment if released for ability; (2) injury guarantees protect payment in a subsequent year(s) due to a career-ending injury. An ideal contract from a player perspective has both guarantees. This one has skill only, although there appears to be a reason for that.

The reallocation rule

Stay with me here: since Ferguson’s salary in the last capped year (2009) was not fully guaranteed, then any future money into the uncapped year (2010) and beyond that is guaranteed for both skill and injury has to be reallocated into the last capped year – 2009. Thus, had the Jets guaranteed these monies for both skill and injury instead of just skill, then all the future guarantees – over $20 million – would be kicked back (reallocated) into the Jets’ 2009 Cap.

So what’s the problem, you ask, since 2009 is done and gone? Not so fast. Since the Jets only had a smattering of cap room left in 2009 and could not absorb the reallocation, the contract would have been rejected by the league were it submitted with skill and injury guarantees. Thus, they could only do one or the other. Ferguson’s camp chose a skill guarantee, choosing to protect injury risk with a private policy.

Positives for the Jets

ICON
    Mangold will be affected by the Ferguson deal.
    They bring one of their core players under contract for the foreseeable future, locking up one of their priorities while Darrelle Revis, Nick Mangold and David Harris watch and wait.

They were able to negotiate a deal – although functionally guaranteed through 2013 – that allows an out, however remote, in the case of a severe injury to Ferguson in 2010. They also protect payment of their option bonus until there is football in 2011 (or later).

They are able to set a precedent for Revis, Mangold, Harris and others that any large extensions this season will be in this form, a “rolling guarantee” into the future rather than a rock-solid guarantee at the moment.

Positives for Ferguson

The “functional” guarantee is for an eye-popping $34 million. Last year I worked on Jason Peters’ contract with the Eagles that put him at the top of the offensive line market with a guarantee of $24 million. Ferguson’s guarantee bests even that of the top pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, Jake Long, at $30 million.

Although the contract would in its best case be fully guaranteed for skill and injury together, the Jets were limited by reallocation rules discussed above and the chance of Ferguson not seeing the full guarantee is negligible at best. And even if he were to suffer a debilitating injury, he has made $2.3 million more this year than he otherwise would. As to not having a full injury guarantee on the deal, Ferguson has privately bought such insurance to protect that scenario.

Though not structured in the “ideal” guarantee language, Ferguson’s deal is strong.

Future effect

Due to the operation of the 30% rule, the deals for Revis, Mangold and Harris hold challenges beyond the reallocation guarantee issue above. The players will point to the 49ers deal with Patrick Willis as a potential way around that rule with a second supersede signing bonus, but the Jets will be reluctant to do that type of deal, considered circumvention of the rule by many teams, especially after the precedent of this deal.

The deal made sense for both sides and set new standards for both guarantee levels for offensive lineman and New York Jet contracts to come in the months ahead.

8. MadBacker Prime

Well then prepare for him not to be here, because it's impossible to do that.

9. hazmat

hazmat New Member

The only way is if the Jets just cut him a huge check right now. Otherwise it's going to be skill or injury, not both.

10. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I'm assuming that's the main reason why he's not in camp right now.

11. MadBacker Prime

As is been said about 300 hundred times the Jets can't trust Revis with a huge signing bonus. Choosing the injury guarantee should suffice for any sane player in his position. If he's so confident he shouldn't have any issue choosing the skill option either.

But none of that matters until total compensation is agreed on. $120 million would make him the highest paid DB in history but he/they are too ignorant to see that.

12. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

The only way I see Revis back this year is if he agrees to a band-aid contract. I dont see it happening any other way... Unless he lowers his demands.

13. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I am not thinking he is signing anytime soon.......

ok watch his imminent signing in 15 minutes

14. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Brick did it right, he had his contract guaranteed against skill, and took out an insurance policy to protect his guarantees in the event of a major injury.

thats the way to fully protect yourself.

Revis' agents are a pain in the ass, and have been driving tanny totally insane since we lost to indianapolis.

15. pisano24

pisano24 Member

If that's all it takes then...

I guanantee Revis NEVER signs!

16. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

LOL that's the spirit.......

17. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

The Jets leaked the 120/160 part to the press and said they wouldn't discuss guarantees until total compensation was agreed on (but said they were flexible). Up until that point Schwartz and Feinsod had no problem screaming to the media that Tannenbaum & the Jets were blatant liars.

They never denied these numbers/claims and quickly worked out a deal with the Jets to "blackout" negotiations after they looked like the steaming turds that they are.

There's really no reason to believe the issue isn't what the Jets claimed IMO. Everyone that wants to say guaranteed money is the issue didn't pay attention to this chain of events.

18. hazmat

hazmat New Member

The Jets leaked it because it turned public opinion against Revis and his band of idiots. I don't see why the total number really matters. Whether it's $120 or $160 a lot of that money will never be earned by the player. The agents I'm sure would love to have that kind of contract associated with them for future clients.

The goal of his agents is to get A) As much money as possible 100% guaranteed B) As much money as possible guaranteed for either skill or injury and C) A contract that they will be able to use to help them get new clients.

Regardless of whichever contract he signed, 2/3 of that contract would not be guaranteed for anything.

The Jets knew that releasing those numbers would be a disaster for Revis and his people. The public doesn't want to hear about a player that already has earned $15 million holding out for more money when $120 is already on the table.

But it doesn't tell the entire story, the real story is the guaranteed money.

19. Boh

Boh Member

Almost certain he will sign before your last Preseason game. If not then I really don't know where this is headed.

20. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

stop it. you're just trying to jinx it. of course you want him to miss the 1st game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.