The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ........

........ Trolls

Ahahaha...some of you are so hilariously absurd.

2. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

mr. shoes, usally i agree w/you, but while revis isint 14 pts less for our d, he's still the BEST cb in ALL of football.

we go from being a super bowl contender w/revis, to just a playoff contender w/out him.

3. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

hahaha, you need a chill pill

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I guess since the Jets were never good or in a position to have great HOF potential players hold out, this is new to the fanbase.

Other fanbases know how to deal with these situations, or at lest I imagine they do.

This "I'm going to hate him forever" nonsense is comical. He didn't cheat on you with a hotter girl. Calm down.

And you as a fan have no bearing on anything here.

I'm not speaking to anyone specific, I'm just offering a different view than "What's his deal I hate him omg this is unfair I have a voice booo"

5. Jerseyboyisback

Jerseyboyisback New Member

im throwing monopoly money!! Thats all he is worth!!

6. YankeeRacers

YankeeRacers Member

Comparing this to a union strike is ridiculous. He held out for this contract he already had a strike. So what if he gets injured after that new contract? Those spatter of boos is going to sound like a mouse fart compared to if his pockets are lined and he gets injured.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The Ravens are looking pretty good against the Giants..... Come on Revis!

8. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

The man has already pocketed something like $15 million, so his family is already set for life. Please don't hand me the standard player's line that they "need to take care of their family." The contract Revis has on the table would not only take care of his family, but would pay off a significant part of the national debt and is larger than some third world countries' GNP. And Revis' earning power doesn't end when his football career ends. When Revis retires at, let's say 35 years old, he still has the abililty to work for decades and has a name to sell that none of us have. And I do judge my likes and dislikes of athletes based on how they behave. For example, I will never root for Tiger Woods. I think he is a despicable human being. I prefer to root for Phil Michelson, who is a nice person and a true family man. That means something to me. I don't like TO. I don't like Favre. I never likee Barry Bonds. I don't like Lebron James anymore and never like Kobe Bryant. They are all selfish and self absorbed. Revis is now in that camp.

We all do want more money, but none of us ever come close to pulling what Revis has pulled. And this hold out is not typical for NFL. I still think Revis is the first player in NFL history to hold out after only three years in the league with years left on a current deal. And all NFL players play with the threat of injury. Again, Revis can get hurt tomorrow and he is set for life, so let's not take out the violins for him having to risk injury with $21 million left on his current contract over three years. The Jets probably would have paid him something in the neighborhood of $10 million guaranteed this year (like Chris Johnson received from the Titans) if he reported under his current contract.

And yes, we all WANT him on the field, but that doesn't excuse his actions nor does it mean that the Jets should give in to his demands or that we fans have to like him when he returns. We all realize that the Jets are a better team with him on the field, but some disagree about whether paying him $120 million or more over 10 years positions the Jets for future success or hamstrings the Jets with regard to future contracts.

So if he comes back, I will be happy when he intercepts a pass and would love for him to be an integral part of a championship team. But 20 years from now, when we look back on this team, he will be more Mark Gastineau while Mangold will be more Joe Klecko, and that view has to do with the way each player handled the same issue - one with class and team in mind, and the other with greed and self interest before team.

#8668 Joe Willie White Shoes, Aug 28, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  9. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

they look awesome, but giants lbers and secondary suck.

10. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Agree with just about everything (except some of the judgment on the other guys but who cares).

May I also add there is a difference between being a good team-mate/professional and a good human being.
    I have no doubt Revis is a good teammate/professional but he's also shown he is greedy and that as a human being is a minus.

I will root for him as long as he's on the Jets but the players I REALLY root for are the ones I like as human beings and not only as professional athletes... this will never be forgotten about Revis.

PS He's already made 16.5 mill in three years... I think I could provide for my family fr a bit with that kind of money!

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

So to evaluate the facts here we need to look at a few things. First of all what was Willie Brown's effect in Denver before he came over to the Raiders?

Well, the Broncos were a miserable last place team for Brown's tenure with them despite him being an All-Pro cornerback. They went 2-11-1, 2-11-1, 4-10 and 4-10 with a hall of fame cornerback playing in their defensive backfield. So clearly Willie Brown in and of himself was basically worth bukpus in wins because the Broncos had him at top form and could not win many games.

Secondly, who else joined the Raiders in 1967 that might have explained their sudden upsurge in results? Was it maybe two-time first team All-Pro quarterback Darryl Lamonica, the mad bomber, who actually was a first team All-Pro in that championship season in his first season as a Raider and entering his prime at 26? Why yes, it might have been Darryl Lamonica joining the Raiders and helping them turn it around. There are in fact several quarterbacks who have joined teams and suddenly seen them reverse their fortunes. Cornerbacks, not really. At least not in the absence of that quarterback...

Willie Brown made the Raiders defense better. Darryl Lamonica made them a force. Fred Biletnikoff, BTW, also kicked off his hall of fame career, getting a huge break with the addition of Lamonica and there was another new guy who joined the Raiders that year too, you might have heard of him - Gene Upshaw.

The Raiders, BTW, went from 5th overall defense in 1966 to 2nd in 1967. They went from 6th on offense to 1st. They had a differential of 27 points in 1966 and 235 in 1967 - the vast majority of the difference coming from their 153 point offensive explosion over the previous season.

The example disqualifies itself. Haynes was added to Hayes. Are you suggesting that just adding Haynes to the Raiders in the absence of Hayes would have made the difference you find here?

For the record the Raiders defense was torched repeatedly before they added Haynes to Hayes, suggesting that if we could add Revis to Revis at a cost of 32 million a year we might get somewhere, however it seems unlikely that we can pull that off. Even then The Haynes and Hayes "lead" defense got torched by St Louis late in the season, with Neil Lomax picking them apart. The run to the championship in the playoffs was on the strength of 624 yards rushing in 3 games (188, 205, 231).

The man's name was Roger Staubach.

Repeat after me: There is no such thing as a franchise cornerback, there is no such thing as a franchise cornerback...

If franchise cornerbacks existed then the Denver Broncos would have won a Super Bowl with Willie Brown instead of trading him. The Atlanta Falcons would have won a Super Bowl with Deion Sanders instead of trading him. The Washington Redskins would have won a Super Bowl with Champ Bailey instead of trading him. Quick - Herb Adderley was more important to the Green Bay Packers than Bart Starr? True or false?

#8671 Br4d, Aug 28, 2010
  12. ........

........ Trolls

:rofl: It's pretty clear now that you're a troll with these gross exaggerations.

Our national debt is roughly $13 trillion. The roughly $8 million he pocketed after agent fees and taxes doesn't make a dent.

And with his average salary of $5.5 million pre-tax, he'd be the poorest country in the world, unless you count the sovereign territory of Tokelau. His island nation would certainly struggle.

I'm sorry that you grant athletes your support based on their off field behavior. I grant mine based on how they help the team I root for. I could give a shit what they do off the field unless it affects their performance on the field. I hate that Revis isn't in camp right now, and that's what drives my hatred for this holdout. As soon as he signs, I'm over it. He can be as selfish an asshole as he wants off the field. I'm not going to hang out with the guy, I'm going to watch him play football.

EDIT: Sorry, you're talking about the alleged offer he has on the table. I'm guessing the $120 million. Yes, the roughly $60 million he'd pocket would be significant...He could pay off .000004% of our national debt! And pretax, he would climb all the way up to 188th out of 190 countries! This island nation is ON THE MOVE!

#8672 ........, Aug 28, 2010
  13. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

Game. Set. Match.
    Lock and burn this thread.

If the Revis plays, the Jets go 9-7, if he doesn't they go 7-9.

If Sanchez plays great, the Jets got 12-4, if he doesn't they go 8-8.

14. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

I second this notion.

15. Cribb

Cribb New Member

Christ the direction this has taken...

When he signs and is on the field making plays everyone will drop the hate and eventually this mess will be forgotten. If Woody and MT sign Revis for an amount that makes the team financially unable to make any moves in the future then that is on their shoulders, not Revis's. Again, it is not the player's responsibility to ensure the financial viability and sustainability of a team.

16. UncleTomNYJ

UncleTomNYJ Active Member

:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer: Well said fuck the standing ovation for Mevi$

17. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

It's called hyperbole. You use is sometimes to emphasize a point. It is not meant to be taken seriously.

18. ........

........ Trolls

Oh don't worry. I couldn't possibly take anything you say seriously.

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

How late do you guys think Revis can report and line up opposite Anquan Boldin opening night?

20. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

September 12th.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.