The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm not arguing that the amount he is asking for is fair or deserved. 10 years at 16 mil is insane.

My only beef is with the notion that the Jets' position is that he has 3 years left on his deal and they want him to honor it. They gave up that position when they approached him.

Revis needs to bring his head out of the clouds and realize that only a shit team with nothing to play for would dump that kind of cash on any player outside of a franchise QB.

2. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

I have now read this entire thread and have refrained from commenting until now. This debate hinges on the next collective bargaining agreement including a hard cap. We don't know whether that will be the case or whether if it has a cap, there will be exceptions for what went on during this uncapped year.

However, assuming the new CBA has a cap, I am starting to think that the Jets may be better off trading Revis. If they would have to pay him $16 M per year, in exchange they could sign, say Holmes and Cromartie long term, or Holmes & Edwards (I expect Harris to be signed regardless). Plus, a trade for Revis would probably net a very good player and 1st & 2d round picks. So, while I always wanted Rveis to be a Jet for life, the alternative may be retaining long term 2 of the Jets own key players that otherwise would have been lost, plus another good player (in trade), plus 2 high draft picks. If Revis' attitude doesn't turn around soon, that alternative is starting to look pretty good to me.

3. 73klecko

73klecko Member

two hold outs in three years....not a good track record for the kid.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I think, and I am only guessing at this, that the Jets want to give him a nice boost keeping in mind that he still has three years left and never had any intention of dealing with him as they would a free agent. They probably didn't make that clear in the beginning but every time I hear Woody speak he says "but he has three years left". I don't know if they can ever bridge that but I am pretty confident the Jets have their heels dug in and would rather have him sit out the year then give in to his demands.

5. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

LOL!

I love the new title "Revis tweets w/Whore"

We're really grasping for straws at this point.

Any news is good news, I guess.

6. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

I am impressed. :up:

7. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread (Revis Tweets w/Whore)

Good response. The trade perspective is a perfectly legitimate response. I'm not there yet, but I can see it happening if he misses the season.

Of course, I still think he'll be back before Week 1, new deal in place (4 years or long term), and we'll all move on.

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

They approached him to give him a raise.

Not release him from his contract.

9. ........

........ Trolls

Who ever said they approached him to release him?

10. abyzmul

My only line of reasoning with that is their history with his agents. If you watched Hard Knocks, you can tell that Tanny hates them. And with good reason: they're total schmucks.

And I am only guessing at this myself, but the fact that Woody kept waving the banner '3 YEARS LEFT!' I think he's doing damage control because he was the sole catalyst for approaching Revis in the first place. Think about it. Woody immerses himself in football after the death of his daughter. His surprise franchise makes it to the AFCC with a rookie HC and a rookie QB, based mostly on the merits of the defense. That offer in January was made solely out of the emotions of an owner whose emotions were upside down.

Also the talk of 'verbal agreements are meaningless'. I don't think it was a coincidence that Woody went on a media tour one day giving interviews to anyone who would listen and then all of a sudden there was a media blackout. Woody needs to leave that media stuff to Tannenbaum, because he was so out of his depth trying to play damage control in that situation. He was doing more damage than he was controlling.

#8390 abyzmul, Aug 27, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  11. abyzmul

Do you have the exact wording that they used in the locker room? Or just a backpedal from an owner who should have had his emotions a little more in line with his team's pocketbook before he starting writing fantasy checks in Indy?

12. ........

........ Trolls

It was mentioned yesterday that these agents seem to be trying to exact revenge on Tanny. I can't remember who said it, but it hasn't gotten nearly the recognition it deserves. Past history has to be playing a role here, and a significant one at that.

13. ........

........ Trolls

Careful, Hobbes thinks it's possible for Revis to hold out this entire year and still play under his original contract starting next year.

14. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I was thinking of a different airport. (There's a small one right by Novartis on Rt 10, which is what I was thinking of)

Teterboro is by 17 not far from the stadium. 25/30 min by car.

15. abyzmul

I think it was me, actually. If not, I said something like it recently.

edit: http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?p=1798211&highlight=broomstick#post1798211

#8395 abyzmul, Aug 27, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  16. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

if he misses the season, the damage is done to the Jets and they almost have to trade him -- he can't harm a season and then the team rewards him. let someone else pay him and the Jets.

I think if he isn't here for game 1, they have to trade him also, because again he is harming the team at that point and shouldn't be rewarded.

for me, it is with the team at the start of the season (I don't care about pre-season anyways), or trade him.

17. Toon is God

Toon is God Active Member

Yeah once he starts missing games the bridge has been burned

18. ........

........ Trolls

I can't say I agree that he'd be traded this season, but it does seem more likely than not that a year long holdout would secure him a ticket out of here. We'll soon see whether he truly wants to be a Jet for life.

19. ........

........ Trolls

I think the team would take him back during the regular season, but once the regular season starts, he can't use the "I want to retire a Jet" line.

20. abyzmul

I'm not sure I disagree with this at all, as much as it sucks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.