The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

I can't wait till he comes back so this thread can die.

2. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

Thanks! But watch it, according to some on this board, you are going to have to pick a new team with me.

3. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

of course i know the answer to this question......the guaranteed portion hasn't been agreed to yet.

but i'm tired of people throwing out the "Revis was offered $120,000,000, why isn't this bastard in camp?!" argument. The total figure isn't as important as the guaranteed portion in Revis's eyes, obviously.

4. milo

milo Well-Known Member

I still say we need a Vbook on how long this thread ends up being before he comes back. I guessed 12k back when it was about 4. Now it looks like it may be a lowball.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

It's a valid argument because team Revis won't back down from $160 (last we heard) and Tanny isn't negotiating the guaranteed portion until total comp is agreed on.

6. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread (Revis Tweets w/Whore)

Fine, then quibble over the guaranteed portion, Revis. Don't hold out because you're insulted by a total value under $160 million.

7. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

it's difficult debating this without all the details being made available.

On the surface....i don't know why Revis' camp has a deathgrip on the 160 mil figure....when the guaranteed portion is the most important facet of the contract. But we're obviously missing something here.

To me....he's never going to see the full amount of the contract anyway.....the real negotiations will begin when they start hashing out the guaranteed money aspect of the contract.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I wanted to make sure my hostility wasn't overlooked.

9. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

You are who you associate with. He chose his represenatives, He could fire them if he wanted to if they didn't do what he wanted done. In the end you are who you choose to be around and who you choose to represent you.

Revis is getting close to losing his endorsement deals if he winds up sitting out all or part of the season, after all an endorsement isn't worth squat if your not on the field or your image becomes blemished.

10. Don

We have been through that excuse already. In the end it is his decision and he seems pretty intelligent to me. He is out because he wants to be out and it has nothing to do with his agents, his uncle or anybody else in his life.

11. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

I agree with you here.

The only thing I will tell you, is it seems to me, and am speculating here and admitting it, but it seems like he is on some type of ego trip about becoming the highest paid corner in football.

I also suspect that since the truce, they have discussed guaranteed money, and are still very far apart.

Ultimately I think no matter what anyone says, this comes down to the Jets feeling like they have 3 years left on their contract with him, and historically in that position nobody has EVER gotten a contract like this, and they feel they cannot set a precedent here.

He obviously feels that the 3 years left does not mean anything, and he should get a contract as if he were a free agent, which is what he is asking for.

I think whether its guaranteed money, or total contract value, they will not be able to work something out until one side budges on that.

I hope the Jets don't budge on that, even for a player as great as Revis.

He is not a QB, and I don't want to see the Jets set a precedent here, that will undoubtedly come back to haunt them.

12. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

100% true!

The agent works for the player, not the other way around.

The agent can certainly influence the player, but ultimately if Revis wanted to be in camp, or accept the 120m deal, he would have, or he would fire his agents.

13. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

my bottom line on the compensation part of this argument is this:

I don't give a rats' ass what the Jets pay this man....as long as it doesn't cripple our cap situation for the present and future.

Whether Revis deserves the amount he will eventually receive...is a moot point....just don't cripple the cap, Tanny. Although, I'm confident Tanny won't destroy our cap over this.

Other than that.... i want to see him in a Jets uniform for the rest of his career.

#8373 MBGreen, Aug 27, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  14. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

And if you believe reports Revis has been sticking to 160 million or so over 10 years, so evidently total money isn't unimportant to him either.

Fact is as far as any reports Revis camp hasn't been willing to negotiate guaranteed money on the 120million and the Jets aren't willing to negotiate on the 160 million version. I suspect though that the Revis camp wants an unrealistic level of guaranteed even if they negotiated on the 120million version.

I loved revis as a DB, but frankly I'm getting tired of the little pain. the Cries of he's only getting 1 million this year, while technically acurate does not represent the fact his rookie contract averaged out to I believe 5 or 6 million a year with bonus's included. Granted he outplayed that countract last year, but frankly it's only 1 year and CB isn't the most vital position on the field.

15. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

This thread is remarkable.

16. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

17. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

I agree with you, and share the exact same feelings.

All I will say is that I am confident if Tanny could have signed a deal that would not destroy the cap in the future, this would have been a slam dunk done deal.

Nothing good can come of this situation for the Jets, and if they could have, I am certain they would have.

This has been a huge distraction, and even if he signed tonight, there would be ramifications of it, the longer this goes, the bigger the ramifications, and the Jets understand that at every level.

I suspect that it will take something that will destroy the cap to get him signed, and that is the only reason he is not signed yet.

Hence, my beef with Revis.

18. Boh

Boh Member

nope italian, hes probably down at the paradise city...

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Which is funny, since they approached him to give him a new deal in January.

20. Don

And the meaning of "a new deal" is very much up to interpretation. They absolutely want to give him a new deal. They don't want to make him a billionaire and they certainly didn't say "name your price".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.