The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaboom

kaboom Member

The key should be "guaranteed money" and I have seen no reports on this.

There is a view that the Jets are shying away from "guaranteed money". They didn't pony much up at all (given the size of the overall contracts) in the recent Brick/Mangold deals.

"Guaranteed vs catastrophic injury" is pretty meaningless given that guys come back and play (maybe at a lower level) from virtually all injuries these days.

Haynesworth had ~ $34M of guaranteed money within his overall "$100M" FA contract in 2009.

How much, if any, of the JETS purported 10/$120M was guaranteed?

I suspect very little and that really is the rub.

2. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

diehard fans don't throw members of their favorite sports teams under the bus....because they're holding out for a bigger paycheck that they were promised in lieu of....just sayin'.

You don't know all the circumstances behind the holdout....none of us do. 95% of what's being said in this thread is speculation/opinion.

I'm frustrated like everyone else is over this whole ordeal......but i'm not gonna STOP being a fan of D.Revis because of my frustration...

oh shit!.....is that you killeri9590?

3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

You are about 6 thousand posts late....

Let me bottom line it for you.

By showing up to camp, and playing this year he would have had 20 mil in guarantees...

So...any extension with any kind of SB, would have given him significant guaranteed money....

4. Hobbes3259

We do know one thing.

He's still under contract for a very long time.

5. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

Like it or not, there is the reality of uncapped year right now.

The Jets do not have some type of special ability to bypass that.

Why is Peyton not signed yet???????

Why is Brady not signed yet?????????

Let me fill everyone in, nobody feels comfortable doing a massive contract not understanding the ramifications.

6. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

U will find when others do not like ur posts you immediately become anti NYJ.

Do not take it to heart. I have been a NYJ STH only since 65 & I wish I had a dollar for every time some other member called me a troll because they disliked my posts.

Just keep posting what U feel is right & always stick to your guns

7. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread (status unknown)

No. By showing up and playing this year, and not getting injured the Jets would have bought back the final two years and the money would have been guaranteed.

It may not have been his primary motivation, but it's false to suggest he'd have been guaranteed the money just by showing up this year.

8. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

That's good, why should they guarantee money to someone who has shown does not live up to his contract, your example of haynesworth is perfect you think if they

didn't pony up that money he would still be on the team...I don't think so, he's got the redskins by the balls. Tanny won't allow Mevi$ to do the same...GOOD for

Tanny & the Jets

#8188 jetsons, Aug 27, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  9. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

It's almost like the Evil Emperor just ran into a young Darth Vader.

10. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

Let me fill you in on something sport, you don't get to decide what a die hard fans do or don't do.

I root for the laundry ahead of the player.

If I see a player doing something that hurts the laundry, I am going to question it.

I am all for people getting paid, in fact I usually lean towards the getting paid.

However, in this case I think Revis is being completely unreasonable. If he has a $120 million offer on the table, with 3 years left on his current contract, and he is unwilling to talk about guaranteed money for that contract, like it at least seems, I am sorry but I cannot defend that.

Mangold came to camp with ONE year left on his deal, and he got rewarded for it.

Win win for everyone.

Revis is setting up a lose lose for everyone.

I am at the point where I feel as if he has destroyed the secondary already, the damage is done.

Every key CB is playing out of the position they should be playing, so even if he comes back, now Wilson has to move to nickle back where he has ZERO experience.

11. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

$120,000,000 over 10 years > $21,000,000 over 3 years.

$12,000,000/year > $7,000,000/year

Is math different up there?

12. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

One day the torch may be passed and this was the beginning.

Oh yeah---did he sign yet?

13. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

One more thing sport, is 10/120 not a significantly bigger paycheck then he was getting?

How have the Jets broken their promise in anyway.

Again, find me the player who got their contract ripped up with 3 years left in order to get a contract that shattered the next highest at his position?

Please, I will shut up and scream how I am wrong.

Look at Manning, look at Brady, anyone, please find me this player.

14. Hobbes3259

I said,'and playing'

The bottom line is that is the path, and risk every player takes to get beyond their initial contract.

15. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Note to parents... Do NOT send your kids to Jedi temple today.

16. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

missed this reply, Thank God I am not the only one who sees the insanity going on here.

Watch out though, this might lead to you not being a die hard Jets fan, your not supposed to look at any facts.

17. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

Really?
    I thought people called you a troll because you live under a bridge and eat children.
    :smile:

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm not looking at it from the Jets' side. MB is right, reading is fundamental. I said I was looking at it from an OBJECTIVE viewpoint. Neither Revis nor the Jets.

I'm not sure how closely you read this board, but I view it pretty closely and I hadn't noticed at any time during the negotiations that fans were supporting Revis much, and they went psycho anti-Revis the moment the Jets started through the press. Your assessment of the public opinion of the situation is skewed by the fact that you pollute your mind by listening to WFAN. No wonder. You think talk show hosts actually speak for the fans.

As far as you using that gay-ass 'Mevi$' monikor, you are obviously looking at it from a homer fan perspective. Although that was not in doubt. Especially since you seem to think that the Jets handled one of the worst contract situations in the history of the team 'perfectly'. That's comedy right there.

By the way - you seem to be familiar with the people that call in to the Fatcessa show. I haven't listened to that piece of shit in over a decade. WFAN is terrible.

19. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

At this point aren't his fines around half a million dollars?

Just from a financial aspect, he better get his ass signed. I know Neil will give him an allowance each week but I can't imagine an grown man wanting to resort to that.

He's made $16 million up to now, cut that in half and he's left with $8 million, how smart do you think he was with his money?

He's going to end up owing more then he was going to make this year.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hey champ. He's the one that called me anti-Jet. Maybe you should be consoling me. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.