The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I'm going to have to interject here.

I believe some of the blame should fall upon that dried-up raisin that's running the Raiders.

Revis's ridiculous demands stem from Aso's contract.....let's not forget that.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

My point is not that they wouldn't be there. I'm pretty sure I said that twice today in this thread already.

I don't agree with Revis or his agents about the kind of money they're asking for. I don't agree that he should be holding out in year 4 of a 6 year deal. I don't believe that Revis is being reasonable, or that he is getting anything resembling good advice on how to handle this situation.

But I also don't believe that the Jets are victims. They handled this situation terribly, and now they are dealing with a mess. They aren't totally at fault, but people painting the Jets as victims need to wake up.

3. abyzmul

I'm probably the least naive person in this thread. Care to guess where you fall?

4. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

I know, and I get that. But to allow that to enter the discussion means we are trying to treat a grown man with kid gloves. Revis is not stupid. He knows said dried up raisin was out of his bloody mind when he gave that contract to Aso. He wants so much guaranteed money because he knows we'll cut his ass as soon as his production drops off. There is a difference between saying you want to be a Jet for life, and actually wanting to be a Jet for life.

5. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I understand what you're saying.

I was just re-iterating the fact that Aso's contract is being viewed by Revis as a benchmark. It doesn't matter how ridiculous the benchmark is.....the fact is....it's still been set. If Crazy Al doesn't dole out that contract.....this holdout would've been vapour.

Revis would've been compensated as the highest paid CB at a more reasonable price.....and bob's your uncle.

I understand the arguments raised about the fingers being pointed at the Jets FO and the Revis camp......but Al Davis's skewed view of value....is what facilitated this whole clusterfuck, IMO.

6. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

The kicker in this is the rumor is at season end if not before Aso will be cut (heard this on ESPN) making his contract worth 9M for each of the 2 years it was in force. Naturally ESPN also went on to say that no other team will pay him again the contact Davis gave him oncew he is cut

7. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

I just don't see it, please explain how the Jets handled this terribly, or even poorly, or even anything short of perfectly.

As far as I am concerned, they could not have handled this any better, please explain.

8. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Actually I would go with ALL of the blame because he established the benchmark at least in DR head of what he should be paid

9. abyzmul

The Jets decided to play the 'negotiate through the press' game that Revis' agents love to do. The Jets did this with Kendall and with Baker. They could have done it the professional way, but not commenting on player negotiations - which most teams do, and it works - but instead Woody wanted to soak up all the media attention and free press he could get for anything - ANYTHING - in order to get asses in seats. They pretty much admitted how badly it was handled the moment they went Media Blackout.

And then there's always the owner and GM telling the guy in the locker room that they want to tear his contract up and sign him for the rest of his career. Some may view that as 'a pat on the back'. I view it as a business proposal.

10. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

You know what, I could not disagree more with you.

Like it or not we live in a media dominated age.

A) Like it or not, most people, note the most, believe what they hear through media outlets.

B) Revis and his agents were clearly using the media to try to make their points.

The reality of A+B = if the Jets do not use the media as well, jets fans can easily turn against the Jets = bad situation for the Jets.

C) The media blackout did not happen until public perception dominantly shifted from Revis' side, to the Jets side, that was when we saw the media blackout.

I see you as clearly looking at this as anti-Jets, and not looking at the facts.

11. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Dude...he's not anti-jets.....he's viewing the argument from all angles....and has raised some good points.

reading is fundamental.

12. abyzmul

I'm anti-Jets because I am trying to look at this objectively and see mistakes made on both sides? The fuck?

You are right about a media-dominated age, but I don't see other teams going for media broke like Woody Johnson is. There are things you use the media for to help your franchise flourish - ugly contract disputes are not one of them. The moment Woody and Tannenbaum stooped to Neil Schwartz's level and started negotiating through the press, that is the moment they stopped being absolved of fault for this situation.

13. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Woody said they approached Revis about extending his contract, not giving him a new one.

14. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

I just don't see how you are looking at it from the Jets side when you say that.

Sorry, I don't.

Before the Jets started going through the media, Revis' camp was using it, and it seemed that many people were on Revis' side, bashing the Jets FO for not 'just paying him'

I remember listening to wfan one saturday and every single host and caller was basically dismantling the Jets for not paying him.

OK, so your the Jets, your supposed to just sit back and let your whole fan base turn against you, when you don't feel you are in the wrong??? Talk about The Fk???

The Jets did what ANY right minded FO would do, they went right back through the same outlets that turned the fans against the team, and gave their side of the story.

AND as soon as they did that, it shifted dramatically. As soon as people recognized what the Fk was actually going on, the majority used their brain and saw this was on Revis' and that the Jets were actually being more than reasonable and more than fair, and that Revis was out of his friggin mind.

Hence most of the mevi$ you see.

Of course you still have the francessa loyalist who hang on to his retarded analysis, and those who just want Revis back regardless of the ramifications down the road to either the salary cap, or future negotiations.

Again, I think the Jets handled this PERFECTLY!

I love Revis the Player, but I will never be a fan of his again, regardless of a pic to win the SB, period.

15. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

I still don't understand what mistake the Jets made. Maybe paying Revis more than the guys drafted before him? THAT was a mistake. Since then they have done nothing other than kiss this guys ass.

Woody has done a ton of things to sell seats. This has absolutely nothing to do with selling seats. We made Revis into some sort of golden calf and he, and his agents, are trying to run as fast as they can to the bank with it.

$120,000,000 for the next 10 years? This is a story of 1 arrogant douchebag, and for once the douchebag is not our owner.

16. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

I disagree 100% I think he is looking at this from Revis side only, and not the Jets side.

I do agree on reading being fundamental however, and I think I make my counter arguments pretty clear.

17. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

Exactly!

People listen to francessa too much. Pretty scary.

18. Nacho Sanchez

Nacho Sanchez New Member

Darrelle Revis traded to NBC for Michael Scott and Dwight Schrute?

He will take over the manager of the office and Dwight can be starting CB??

sorry...just waking up to more Revis rumors lol...

19. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

this tells me all I need to know about what type of fan you are.

:rolleyes:

20. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

Well, thats fine.

I typed it incorrectly, I meant to say unless he has a pic to win the SB, not regardless, as I had said before.

Nonetheless, I have been a die hard Jets fan season ticket holder since 1978.

You cut my arm and I bleed green.

None of that is for your understanding, nor approval.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.