The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FazeOne17

FazeOne17 Active Member

Id love for them to go after his signing bonus....that would put a nice dent in his funds, plus all the fines and no pay check for possibly two years....take that you greedy little shit

2. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I never said no impact, I asked what more impact on the Jets' personnel budget could $16 million/year have than $12 million/year. My rhetorical answer was not enough to wreck the team's spending.

Sure, keep repeating it your argument. Eventually i'll just come around.
    Congrats.

You saw how much time he spent around the coaches and players on Hard Knocks and you're trying to tell me that he's hands off? How is it that you think he would spend more time caring about whether or not David Clowney is pushing himself during ST practice reps than where his millions of dollars are going?

Probably like this:
    Long winded that amounts to little more than "He's not worth it."

#8102 CatoTheElder, Aug 27, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  3. CatoTheElder

For holdouts? I've seen it done for players who retired/quit unexpectedly (Ricky Williams) or failed to perform due to legal issues(Vick) but I cannot remember it being done to holdouts.

4. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Yup, Revis' uncle Sean did it. Good news, eh?

Logan Mankins will this season unless he gets traded.

5. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

To my knowledge NO buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut if some one is ballsy enough it certainly would be a big option for the side being hurt by the breech

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Once teams start suing players for holdouts, which I am not even sure is true in a legal sense in this situation, players will start suing for other issues, like malpractice suits against teams for their medical indiscretions, players could sue for a myriad of things. It's a precedent that I doubt the NFLPA and the NFL want anything to do with.

I don't want lawyers crawling all over the NFL any more than they already are.

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He insisted on a 6 year deal and that is why he held out the first time. So, he is now sitting out on what he himself begged to get. It's no wonder the Jets are telling him to fuck off. At least i think that's how it went down although maybe it was the Jets that wanted 6 years.

#8107 Don, Aug 27, 2010
  8. CatoTheElder

I meant suing him for breach of contract. It would have been kind of hard to due that while Charlie Casserly is keeping an open line throughout the season with Gilbert's agents.

9. CatoTheElder

What this guy says:

10. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

What I mean by hands off is that I don't think he's making football decisions. Him asking about Clowney isn't really anything meaningful IMO. The Jets are his toy, of course he's going to be hanging out paying attention.

I could be completely wrong, just my guess.

11. championjets69

He is non performer since he under contract so he is actually breaching his contract & the NYJs most probably could go after at least some part of the signing bonus

#8111 championjets69, Aug 27, 2010
  12. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it was the Jets who wanted the 6 year deal and Revis demanded more money because of it. Can't really blame him for that.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets don't need to sue Revis at this point and so they likely won't. They're sitting on his future ability to earn money in the NFL and there's nothing he can do about that at this point but report and make their control horizon much shorter.

If this goes into the season I expect it to be a very passive-aggressive exercise that goes something like:

Darrelle Revis: I'm not playing until my contract is addressed.

NY Jets: We don't expect Darrelle Revis to play for us this season.

There comes a point at which Darrelle Revis is out of options and then things flow again.

I think we're past the point at which this can be resolved amicably with no future repercussions. The Jets are going to be in damage control mode for the rest of Revis tenure with the team whatever that is.

#8113 Br4d, Aug 27, 2010
  14. championjets69

I rather let the attorneys determine that since you & I do not have enough knowledge in the law to debate it. However you can ASSUME that from the NFL side they are toeing the line when it comes to following the current CBA to the letter of the law to insure what you mentioned does not occur

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

And again the fact that either Tannenbaum or Woody Johnson himself approached Revis in the locker room after the Indy game or thereabouts and told him how great he was and that they wanted to make him a Jet for life that gets ignored. With his agents, with the people they know are advising him, they made that mistake and now it's costing them.

I'm certainly not a fan of the Revis holdout or the amount of money he's asking for, but when people get angry because he's still got 3 years left on his deal, they need to direct that anger at a front office that had 3 other top-notch players to think about and they let their emotions get the best of them in the locker room - and maybe even a head coach who, for all of his charisma and coaching ability, made the mistake of gushing effusively in press conferences about the player to the point of having a man-crush.

Revis isn't the only bad guy here.

#8115 abyzmul, Aug 27, 2010
  16. championjets69

No sorry it was Revis who refused the 6 year contract & the buyback by the NYJs for the last 2 years comes from.

17. CatoTheElder

Fair enough.

My guess is that he probably treats his $635 million investment as a little more than a toy.

18. Don

Yeah, I edited my post after I first made it. I think it was the Jets and that was causing chaos among other teams.

19. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Fire Rex now!

20. Don

I think that's true. I have heard Johnson say many times that Tannenbaum makes ALL personnel decision..period. I think that even came out a little in episode 1 of hard knowcks when Ryan said he let him have some say in Connor. That pretty much said that he had none in everybody else..zero.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.