The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

So....Revis wasn't in camp on 8/26/2010?

2. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

19+21=40.

And also, you wanted an example of what that $4 million would prevent us from signing. That could mean several of these players: Harris, Cromartie, Edwards, Holmes, Ellis, Pool, Brad Smith, Eric Smith. This could also affect us paying Mark Sanchez, Dustin Keller, and Kyle Wilson in the future. There's a reason why Tannenbaum won't pay Revis $16 million a year, and we all know that. If he was willing to do that and believe we could still field a Super Bowl contending team, Revis would be in camp already.

3. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Got me there. His contract was actually only worth $40 million so the math is actually the correct part of the argument, for once. Edited.
    In theory, yes, $4 million could cost us any one of these players but my question was which player leaving kills our chances of being a competitive team? I'm just going to assume you're using each guy as odd-man out here:
    -Harris would be the worst loss given how this team is built but after Revis he'll be the first in line to get a deal, that is of course you think that the $4 million will keep us from signing him and anyone else, in which case the others are just a moot point.
    -Losing both Edwards and Holmes would definitely suck but their impact on the offense but you can find #1 WRs. Shit, we found two in the same fiscal year. Plus, this one would give me more of a reason to support drafting Jonathan Baldwin in the first round!
    -Ellis wasn't even sure if he would make it out of the preseason on the roster, let alone with a new deal. I'm pretty sure that the FO's stated policy of "We prefer to have older players finish out their contracts before resigning," is team speak for "You'll have to have the best season of your career to get a new deal." Honestly, I'd be surprised if he gets offered a contract extension of longer than one day.
    -As for Cromartie, has anyone bothered to ask how financially feasible it would be to actually keep Cromartie and Revis as the starters with Wilson as the nickel next season? Does everyone really think that the Jets can afford to pour $12 million/year into Revis and (probably)$8 - 10 million/year into Cromartie with Wilson playing nickel? We could probably break even, if not save money but letting Cromartie walk, Paying Revis his $16 and signing another nickel back. How good does our #3 CB have to be before we're just keeping someone in a position that doesn't let him play to his full potential?
    -Brad Smith is a phenomenal athlete, a great ST and a decent return man. We need all three of those aspects, but they don't have to be the same guy. I'll hate it if he goes, but losing him is not going to break the team.
    -Eric Smith great heart, never going to be better than a back-up safety. How many guys do we need in the secondary whose most questions/criticized aspect of their game is there coverage skills?
    -Are you really going to try to argue a FS who either has suffered 5 concussions in his career or has been suffering with recurring symptoms of PCS since his rookie season and never played a down for this defense in the regular season is going to be a significant loss? Really?
    This point can literally be made about paying anyone $4 million, regardless of whether or not you think they're worth it.
    Yes, the existence of a reason as to why Tannenbaum will not agree to Revis' contract demands is, in fact, real. Astute observation.
    As much as I hate the term, this is a win now team. The reason this team looks like this is because Brick, Mangold, Harris, Cromartie, Edwards and Holmes were all on affordable, expiring rookie deals. Brick and Mangold being on their extensions, but there is no way the Jets can afford to bring all of these players back next season and still be able to pay key backups...or terrible backups...or the cable bill.

4. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

It's not about the extra $4 million. The Jets can spend that much to bring Revis in without an issue right now. Problems will arise in the future. I've mentioned it before and I'll mention it again. Giving Revis a $160 mil contract would encourage other players on the team to ask for huge paydays when their contract is up. If Jets don't agree, they'll do the same as Revis and possibly hold out. It's just not feasible for the team chemistry. We don't have to worry about Sanchez' deal right now. A lot can happen between now and 3-4 years later.

Harris, Braylon, Santonio, and Cro are the main people needing contracts in 2011. I think we keep Cro. You don't bring in a starting corner for a 3rd round pick and then let him walk after one season. Of course, if he sucks, we will let him walk. But if he's the real deal, we sign him. Having Wilson as a nickel gives us that much more advantage. Harris will get his deal as well. I can see one of Braylon or Santonio leaving next year. If they both flourish this season and get 1k yards each, we may end up signing Braylon to a long term deal and tender Santonio (if RFA). If we can tender him, we may end up trading him...or keeping him. Lot of ifs next year, but a $160 mil contract WILL have its consequences.

As for the 4 million bucks, thats about half the pay for any one of the players mentioned above. I'd rather not lose Revis than any other player making $4mil (which are only decent starters and not pro bowl caliber player like Revis).

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

No one gives a shit if you give any weight to their opinion of the jets cap status. They really don't. You don't need to understand the intricacies of the salary cap to realize paying a CB $16 million a year is absurd, it just takes a little information and little common sense.

Now I understand why you'll sit here and make a long winded argument that at it's root says nothing more than "just pay the man".

6. CatoTheElder

That's just cute.

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Seriously, the other side of your argument is that the Jets themselves don't know what the cap will be either. What if it's 20 million less than 2009 because the same 3/4 of the owners that voted to end the CBA because they didn't like the cap now are the same 3/4 that will vote to reduce the cap going forward? Then what?

8. CatoTheElder

Then the NFLPA votes that measure down based on the impending decline to the players' salaries and jobs.

CBA stands for "Collect Bargaining Agreement" which includes the players in the form of the NFLPA as well as the owners.

The measure that allowed the owners to back out of the CBA was agreed upon by the players' union when the CBA was written. If the owners want to drop the salary cap limit then they have to convince the players to agree to it. Zero chance that happens.

9. Don

And that's why there will be a lockout to begin with. Those owners really don't care. They get the TV money no matter what so they will make more being shutdown than operating at a "loss". I know there is a suit about that money but good luck, it won't get changed.

10. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

So what happened with Cowlishaw's 'update' yesterday morning? Don't feel like going back through twenty pages...guess he's full of it too?

11. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Go ahead then and name me the other NFL players that have held out for the entire pre season after playing only 3 years in the NFL. Name me one other NFL player who held out when he had played only three years and had more than two years left on his contract. When you can do that, I will take you seriously. Consider this a direct challenge to your credibility or a trivia contest. Name them please.

Until then, I will continue to believe you work for S&F with your ridiculous one-side pro-MEEEvi$$$$$$ comments that ignore reality, ignore the tens of millions players like Revis have already been paid prior to the hold out, ignore that he had $21 million coming to him over the next three years, ignore that the Jets approached him to redo his contract to pay him more, and ignore that Meeeevi$$$$$ is turning down one of the richest contracts in NFL history just based on the principle that he HAS to be paid more than Asamugha.

12. Don

Basically he said he was wrong but still swears by his source. Said it was on him and nobody else. Hopes it could still be Saturday.

13. TampaJet

TampaJet Member

Keep it Simple.....

The Jets hold all the cards in this standoff, all Revis can do is withhold his services.

Revis cannot earn another dollar unless he plays, plus he might have to return some of the original bonus he was given when he signed his contract as a rookie (illogical)

The Jets want to give him more but they will not and should not break the bank. Revis is in a corner with his agents, everyone including his agents want to save face. I say the Jets should be a little tough on these agents for past digressions. Its a shame they represent one of our best players.

Send a message to these agents. In my opinion thats why this has lasted so long. Mr. T wants to screw these fuckers.

I say he signs by Saturday since we have a game tonight.

14. WhiteShoeWillis

If you understand the significance, then why do you continue to downplay it as if it has no impact?

OK, I can agree with that.

*breaking out advanced stats book*
    I think it's awesome that you continue to contend that a 25% increase is insignificant.

Why don't you think the $120 million contract is reasonable?

This is when I know you're lost, you start trying to make clever insults.

Of course if Woody said "just pay the man", Tanny could give him an unreasonable contract disregarding the teams long term future.

I think Woody is pretty hands off, but I don't know. I'm pretty sure Tanny has already gone over why this would be a bad idea with Woody. Woody has said that he trusts Tanny's judgment.

No, I think Cro is a one year deal if Revis stays. I've been saying this for a while. It may be possible to use some kind of tag on him to keep him around another year.

How can I possibly give you a real impact on a future year or deal? My guess is it would effect our depth severely. Suffice to say we would have overspent on one player leaving less money for the other 52, that is really all I'm trying to say.

15. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I guess the Gary Gnu scoop was wrong, huh? Sorry guys. :shit:

16. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

U know if the bell goes off on the MNF game vs the Ravens & Revis is not there the NYJs can sue him for breech of contract + damages/losses that the NYJs claim they incurred because Revis did not perform for them as contracted to do

17. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

So Revis does have 3 more years on his contract? I thought he only did a 4 year deal. I remember them fussing over his not wanting a 6 year deal in his rookie year... I thought there was some option to get out of it after 4 or something.

I could understand a year left and trying to get a new deal, but to pull this shit with 3 left is pretty shitty. These agents are helping him dig a big hole with this holdout.

18. CatoTheElder

Has that ever happened in the NFL during full-year holdout? Ever?

19. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

They could try to go after his signing bonus. It's been done many times before.

20. WhiteShoeWillis

Never thought of that, they probably have a pretty good case too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.