The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

This is an oversimplification, but just hear me out. The Jets were 800k under the cap last year with Revis counting about 8 million against the cap. Tell me who you're cutting from last years roster so Revis can be grossly overpaid and make $16 million a year.

You can only spend so much on each position or inevitably you will suffer at other positions - there's no way around it.

Here's all the players salaries, cap cost, and dead money if cut:
    http://nyjetscap.com/salary09.html

2. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Personally, I don't think that $12million/year is necessary buthat seems to be where the market for the best corner in the league seems to be at and that's what the Jets seem willing to pay. Since I have no influence on any part of that process, I tend to just let it go.

-f you're asking if I think that a $4million/year difference makes Revis' demands detremental to the organization's ability to field a competitive team; I really don't. There aren't too many key players that wew can get for $4million, our FO has been very good at finding serviceble backups from UDFAs, I can think of a few players right now who might deserve to have some of their deals reworked to help out the cap situation. Not to mention the fact that Faneca's money is still on the books for this season, but if I remember correctly a good chunk of that should be gone by the next fiscal year when we start negotiating wit our other FAs to be.

3. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Exactly, it is a zero sum game like poker.

4. Rascio

Rascio New Member

I definitely think Tennenbaum will only take 1 of the WR anyways. So the money will be there for 1 WR and Harris. The extra 4 million could help lock up Cromartie if he has a good year and as a 2nd year CB Wilson will still have much to learn and would benefit greatly by learning from both Revis and Cromartie.

It's not like Wilson wouldn't play either since Rex uses Dbacks for blitzing and will have him in Nickel packages.

Or they could use that extra 4 million to bring back both Holmes and Edward's, let Cromartie walk and have Wilson as the back opposite Revis.

5. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

If Cro has a big year and we let him walk we'll probably get a 3rd round compensatory pick. Having said that, I have a hard time believing the FO gave up a 2011 2nd round pick for a 1 year rental. I think Cro plays here for at least 3-4 seasons

6. Rascio

Rascio New Member

I though they gave up a 3rd rounder for him? Could be wrong though.

7. RevisOfNazareth

RevisOfNazareth New Member

the sad part is with the games he's missing and the camp he missed, revis will be shit for the first 3 weeks minimum if and when he does return. he's really committed football suicide with this hold out if he doesn't get his way. i just highly doubt he's keeping up with his work outs.

8. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I don't remember the terms but I think if the Jets make the playoffs it's a 2nd round pick

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, getting out of shape helps with negotiations. I am sure he is fine.

10. Rascio

Rascio New Member

Yah you're right..

FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer first reported the news and was quickly followed by ESPN's Adam Schefter with more details. The Jets will send a 2011 third round pick in exchange for Cromartie. That pick could escalate to a second rounder dependent on Cromartie's play and the Jets performance.

11. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Oversimplified answer:
    Wouldn't his $12million/year number still put the Jets over that cap number? The Jets were(and presumably still are) willing to offer that him that much.

We don't know the what the distribution on that contract was, just like we don't know what the distribution on Revis' desired contract could be. However, I am willing to believe that if Tannenbaum is worth half of what he has brought to this team, he could be able to move the (assumed)prohibitive $4 million for this season over the course of a 10 year deal that would violate that cap number you mentioned.

Again, oversimplified answer.

12. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Out of that list, the average is 9.26M, without Aso, 8.68M

Average length is 5.82, without Aso, 6.10.

Average by contract length:
    3 - 15.10
    5 - 8.17
    6 - 8.93
    7 - 8.26
    8 - 10.00

13. WhiteShoeWillis

Sure it would, but you're acting as if $4 million is nothing when it's 25% of what Tanny is apparently willing to offer. You act as if it will have no impact on the future of the team. 25% is significant, and the guy who knows how to work the cap seems stone cold set on the fact that he cannot pay it. It would be a lot easier to get rid of $4 million in other salaries than $8 million.

Not only is it significant in working the rest of the salaries but it would also open the door to other players demanding 60% more than the next best long term deal at their position which would obviously magnify the issue.

I mean, if you're willing to roll with Revis and 4 Drew Colemans behind him, go for it.

14. Jerseyboyisback

Jerseyboyisback New Member

This is so funny!! us fans have nothing to do with what they pay him!! Everyone needs to get off the revis ban wagon. That is how he is getting so much everyone is making signs saying pay revis. If everyone drops it he will realize were fine with out him and come back for less.

Still cant think someone went on excel and made a bar graph :rofl:

15. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Post 3000!

I still expect (mostly just hope) to see Revis playing week 1, whether he's signed or not, but I'm really disappointed things have come this far.

16. WhiteShoeWillis

Are you suggesting we shouldn't care what the Jets pay him? Shouldn't we care if our teams cap future is secure? Shouldn't we care whether the Jets are going to be able to put together a solid 53 man roster?

17. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

18. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Did I miss something? Who's holding out??

19. SixFeetDeep

SixFeetDeep Red Hot Robbie Cano

yup. 10 years 16 million.

20. Danny@ATL

Danny@ATL New Member

Today was my girlfriend birthday. I got her an iPod Touch. I told her if I would get her one if she managed to get Revis signed by today.... EPIC FAIL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.