The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nyy486

nyy486 New Member

Your last 2 points are obviously true. But I don't see how you can say a contract is legally binding and a player HAS to play it out, but a team can rip it up at any time if they feel it necessary. I mean, are they above the law or something? How hypocritical is that.

2. Rascio

Rascio New Member

Holding out in the NFL happens.. Often.. And I think most people understand that and it wouldn't be such a big deal if his demands weren't so unreasonable.

3. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

This shit is so annoying though. I just watched the AFC Championship Game and we looked like a pretty good Defense out their, and that was with Sheppard, Rhodes, and Coleman in the fucking secondary.

We fixed that damn problem but of course Revis and shit god damnit. ugghhhhh i swear to god. By the first NFL Game between the Saints and Vikings, if we still dont have Revis im gunna be pissed

4. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

We don't even know what's being discussed. We've heard a few things, but we aren't privy to the discussions. For all we know, Revis may be OK with the total compensation, but not the guaranteed part.

I'm pretty sure we'll ultimately find out that we didn't know as much about the private discussions as we thought. Personally I think its all much more likely to get done without all the public comments anyway.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Calm down. You sound like Rex about to lose a preseason game in Carolina with his 3's on the field.

6. UncleTomNYJ

UncleTomNYJ Active Member

That's just what it is a player signs a contract to play for a team. So the team controls the player for the life of the contract. How ever hypocritical it maybe it is what it is. The player knows the wording of a contract or at least they should know when they sign it.

I cant see how anyone can defend a player if they choose not to honor something they sign their name to.

7. Rascio

Rascio New Member

Didn't Woody or Tennenbaum come out before the media black out and say they haven't talked about guaranteed money yet because they are so far apart on total compensation?

8. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Has he really held ou longer than necessary? The purpose of his holdout is to get the Jets to offer him a contract to which he is willing to agree. The Jets have not yet offered him such a deal so his holdout is still necessary for his intended purpose.

Now, the Jets have offered contracts that the fans have found acceptable, based only on the supposed total value of the deal without any substanitive details.

"I can obviously fault a player who uses demands that I as a fan believe to be ridiculous to hold out for longer than I can stand," seems to be more accurate here.

#8028 CatoTheElder, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  9. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Woody said that the Jets approached Revis and his group of losers about signing an extension. Whether or not he's lying I don't know, but my guess is that the Jets weren't going to rip up his original contract and start paing him 15 million a year.

10. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

You are so completely off base that I think you might be an agent trolling on this board. If S&F were doing their job, they would have accepted a reasonable offer and gotten their client into camp on the field. Holding out helps nobody - not the player, not the team, not the teammates, and not the fans. Your point about guaranteed contracts is also misleading. Players like Mevi$ that are first round picks and top talent sign contracts with significant amounts of guaranteed money. Revis has made $15-20 million in three years. Jones was cut AFTER he received a pile of guaranteed money on the front end of a 4 year deal. He complained about his small one year salary in 2009, but conveniently left out the millions he made in guaranteed money in the prior two seasons.

How many players hold out this long???? It is not normal. This is as big a story as it is because it is so unusual. A player holding out after 3 years in the league with 3 years left on his contract all to demand that he be paid more any other CB (when everyone in the NFL knows Asamugha's contract is ridiculous) is not the norm and cannot be justified. Players in the NFL get cut when they can't perform or when their salaries or bonus payments become more than the player is worth at the end of their contracts, after they have taken in a huge haul. Both Jones and Faneca were paid quite a bit of money by the Jets before they were cut.

As for your statement that the Jets front office will be viewed negatively by other players - that sounds like S&F to me. It is also BS. The Jets have had 5 contract disputes in the past 4 years. Four were with S&F clients - Revis twice, Kendall, and Baker. Washington was a fool to expect starter money when he was an aging parrt-time player. The Jets have taken care of EVERY other player on the team. Harris knows he will get his pay day next year. Bottom line. Mevi$ is an asshole for holding out for an obscene contract after only three years in the league. That is unprecedented. Good riddance Mevi$.

11. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

Huh??? The purpose of his holdout is to get the Jets to overpay for his greedy ass.

12. UncleTomNYJ

Well stated very well stated minus bashing nyy486. All points were solid.:beer:

13. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Like agents pulling out all the stops trying to negotiate a new deal for their client when he isn't due for one for 3 years. Just doing their jobs, right?

14. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread (status unknown)

That's true. It's absolutely my opinion as to whether it's fair. We can't evaluate, and I can't comment on, substantive details because the two sides have apparently been stuck on total value. That's all we can judge. Personally, I think 10 years 120 million should be enough to discuss details. I don't think many GMs would disagree.

Do you think it's reasonable to seek $16 million a year?

15. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

16. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Exactly which "key parts" would Revis' desired extension be blocking us from signing?

Are you trying to say we could have Mangold, Brick, Harris, Cro, Holmes, Edwards and Revis under contract next season if Revis agrees $4million/year less? There is no way the Jets would be able to get all of them signed if/when thr salary cap returns. And if it doesn't return, then it's likely a moot point since I doubt Woody would be hurting for money with a NY/NJ sports franchise.

Brick and Mangold are already under contract so they're safe.

Edwards and Holmes are mutually exclusive options. We don't have the room for two #1 WRs in this offense. Both guys are going to want get paid like they deserve to be and the only way they won't deserve to be paid like #1's is if they turn in a sub-par performance in which case why would we want to keep both of them?

Signing Cro and signing Revis are probably mutually exclusive options. I highly doubt the Jets spent a first round pick on Wilson just to have him sit at #3 on the depth chart while two talented, young CBs ride out their long-term extensions.

So that just leaves Harris sitting on the outside and going solely by position, he should be the most affordable. Even if we cannot come to an agreement on a long term deal with him there's always the franchise or transition tag as an option.

17. nyy486

nyy486 New Member

LOL @ this being unprecedented and as rare as you make it sound. I can't take what you say seriously when you say that.

18. UncleTomNYJ

Wow isnt that something when you see it layed out in front of you. Al davis is just fucking crazy. Mevi$ us just greedy

19. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Name another player holding out with three years remaining on their contract for each decade of the NFL. If there is plenty of precedent one player per decade ought to be a piece of cake.

20. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread (status unknown)

Cato, $4 million a year isn't enough to sign all of our guys, obviously. It could be the difference, however at retaining Harris and Edwards at $8 million each and having to choose between them and sign a lesser replacement. The same could apply to any position in which we have a new contract to deal with. $4 million a year is absolutely relevant, especially when the $12 million is a sizable bump over the nearest long term CB contract.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.