The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

These arguments have already been made. We don't know what the contract is. Let's wait and see.

2. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

i think its less defending him, and more acting rationally- as everything is more or less speculation. its just most tend to freak the fuck out and overreact.

3. nyy486

nyy486 New Member

Like I said before, demanding unrealistic money is pretty standard negotiations in sports. Not gonna type that out again.

And you can't really compare the NFL to any "real jobs". Either that job doesn't have a union, so the employee doesn't have the same type of negotiatied rights as a professional athlete has in a CBA, or that job is unionized, and assuming you have a contract, salary based and not some retail level crap wage job, your contract is most likely going to be much more guaranteed than an nfl job and you can't just have it ripped up, mid-term, cause they feel like it, without going through some process.

4. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

As I said, the point was made to be illustrative.

5. Rascio

Rascio New Member

He definitely deserves a raise and should be paid more then any CB in the league aside from Asomugha. Just because Al Davis made a mistake by overpaying someone doesn't mean Tennenbaum should make the same screw up.

How can you say no to 120m? The only people who make more have Manning on the back of their jersey lmao

6. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread (status unknown)

The truth is somewhere in the middle. Poor performance isn't the only reason players get cut. Ask Brandon Moore.

How many times do we see a new contract and say "well, he'll never see the end of that.". A lot of owners inflate contracts at the end to sell players on them, never intending to pay out. I can't fault a player for trying to get early money when he clearly outplays a rookie contract. I can obviously fault a player, however, who uses ridiculous demands to hold out longer than necessary a la Revis.

7. nyy486

nyy486 New Member

Agreed, I just find it less disturbing and surprising to see someone acting selfishly, or whatever you want to call it, than others do here. We're pretty lucky we only have one player acting like this, when we had both Mangold and Harris coming into the season underpaid as well.

8. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

As was mine.............lol

9. Rascio

Rascio New Member

I know what you're saying but if the reported numbers are correct then I take sides with the F.O.

10. Hobbes3259

Really?

Student of History are you?

The Jets have now lost three assets under the direction of these agents.

Student of Football?

How exactly is Mevi$ even tradeable?
    He wants far more than he's worth, plus you'd be giving up two number ones to get him before you could enjoy paying him...

Once he knows there is no money left, he's forced to play out his deal.

He's not going to retire.

That's sound asset managing.

11. nyy486

nyy486 New Member

Agreed, I may be wrong but I feel like a lot of the longer holdouts in recent history usually end around the 3rd preseason game, so we'll see how much longer he drags it out.

12. Rascio

Rascio New Member

Perfectly said. No one in the NFL would pay him that or anythng close to that.

13. Hobbes3259

No.

By forcing him to play out his deal or retire, you'll essentially cripple these two douchebags.

The best defensive player in the NFL, sits out and then gets nothing?

Their business will dry up faster than a 60 year old twat.

What you, and 50% of the rest of the pro-Mevi$ crowd seem to be willing to overlook is

there are two components to getting the big payday.

Overperforming. We all agree Revis has.

and...

Paying your f*ng dues..and that means getting to Free agency

Mevi$ has not. But expects to get paid like he has

Aso did it.

Harris is doing it.

Mangold was willing to do it.

Even Sean Gilbert did it

Aso did it.

the bottom line is Mevi$ has not Paid his dues...

And to be perfectly frank...management should have pointed that out the minute he held out.

#8013 Hobbes3259, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

woody said it best, revis will not be back this season.

/thread.

15. Maybe in different circumstances this would be “Normal” negotiating tactics. But the Jets went to Revis and offered to tear up his current contract for a more suitable compensation level. They did NOT have to do this. Revis had THREE YEARS remaining on his LUCRATIVE rookie deal which he held out for in 2007! Would Revis have likely held out regardless? Based on the way he’s acting now…absolutely. But if the Jets wanted to, they could have easily pointed to the 3 years remaining on his original deal, the league’s CBA uncertainty and the number of other key players whose contracts are approaching expiration. Instead, in good faith the Jets recognized that Revis’ market value had increased significantly and were willing to compensate him accordingly.

How do Revis and S&F respond? They make a ridiculous demand for an unrealistic base salary,(and refuse to move off it for 6 months)Revis fakes an injury in minicamp,bashes the FO to the media and skips the entire preseason. Perhaps they see this as cold blood negotiating;I see it as dirty,greedy and borderline unethical. Revis wants to be paid more than many QB’s in this league. Yet THIS is the kind of teammate he is? This is the guy who’s gonna be the face of the franchise? The team tries to do right by him and he responds by acting like a child! This is like an employee being offered a company car for quality work and the employee refusing to show up again for work till they make the car a Mercedes! There’s a correct way to handle these situations. The way Mangold, Brick and Harris have. 2 of which were rewarded w/ long term deals and the other will likely get his as well. THOSE are the guys you wanna see get a big payday. Not some ego-maniac who hangs his teammates out to dry!

Right now Revis isn’t even worth the Million he is due this season. He’s nothing but a greedy, self centered unreasonable businessman w/ a massive ego. He’s done nothing but betray his teammates,the fanbase and the entire organization. At this point he’s nothing but a distraction. If I’m Tanny…I fax one last reasonable offer and tell Revis,Geiger,Fatboy Uncle Gilbert, and the clowns he has for agents that there will be no further dialogue,offers, or entertaining of demands. Don’t like the offer? See how far your Mr. Manhattan rhymes can take you,scumbag.

16. UncleTomNYJ

UncleTomNYJ Active Member

Yes it is one sided awfully one-sided. That's the nature of the game. One is a player and gets paid and one pays. If the player didnt like the contract then why sign it to begin with. Play out the contract then negotiate a better deal for yourself. Key word being a contract which is legally binding.

Holdouts to the core are divisive to the team and the ultimate goal. For the Jets that is a super bowl victory.

Holdouts are me first and team second.

17. nyy486

nyy486 New Member

Umm, he is tradeable the same exact way his uncle was traded for a 1st round pick after sitting out a season. Not saying you can get a 1st rounder in return, but you can definitely get a decent pick at the least from a team that is willing to pay him. And you can bet your ass that there is a team crazy/stupid enough to give him 160mil.

That is how "Mevi$" is tradeable, and who ever said anything about giving up 2 1st rounders?

Obviously he is not going to retire, but sit out a season, or sit out until a certain point in the season, and get traded for some picks, is a very realistic scenario.

Sit out, retire, get traded, whatever happens, players in the future will hold out, whether you like it or not. Forcing him to sit out or retire is poor asset management and egotistical bs, and has never, and will not be used by the Jets or any other team that wants to have any hope at getting players to sign contracts with them over another team. Sorry to tell you.

18. Rascio

Rascio New Member

Couldn't have said it better myself. IMO being able to resign Harris, Cro, Edwards and Holmes will heavily outweigh the loss of revis if his contract demands don't come down to a reasonable level.

19. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Unfortunately this is a dick-measuring contest between the Jets FO and Revis' agents. I think Revis will eventually sign, but he might let it go on into the regular season. He will hold out as long as he thinks it can help him get more money. That could mean he holds out a few games of the regular season.

As much as I'm concerned about Revis coming back, I'm even more concerned about whether Sanchez will play well. We have a chance if Revis sits, we have NO chance if Sanchez plays shaky.

20. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Mine's bigger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.