The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UncleTomNYJ

UncleTomNYJ Active Member

Relax to you and everyone who gets all bitchy about the nickname Mevi$. It is the perfect nickname given the situation. As to it being a common thing to holdout in the NFL doesn't make holding out right especially when your in the middle of your rookie deal.

All players who hold out or Me players and not team players. Honestly is the difference between 12 and 16 per year is not that much. Not compared to 12 million vs 1 million Mevi$ would make this year( if he accepted the current offer). Its time for him to get over himself and realize he plays a game for MONEY in which his career could end any play. Its not too different from the game he played in college where he didn't get payed to play.

If he is worried about getting injured he should go back to basketball where the shelf life is much longer.

Mevi$ is one greedy fucker.

#7981 UncleTomNYJ, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Nah, Mevis just sounds gay.

And who wants to hit shift + 4 to get the dollar sign? Too much work.

3. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

It is totally gay.....personally Dan is a better nickname.......lol Easier to type to.

4. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I'm to the point of apathy now. If he shows up, great. If not we still have 16 games, hopefully more, to enjoy. It's an argument that I can see both sides having valid points, but I just want to have it resolved one way or another. If he's not suited up game one, whatever...

5. nyy486

nyy486 New Member

Not saying the Jets don't take care of their players, or that Jones was a bad cut. Just saying that it goes both ways when teams dick over players, and now the player dicks over the team and there has to be at least some sympathy for that when any day, the opposite can happen (if that even makes sense, sounded better in my head).

And it has been seen a million times where the initial demands are out of this world and unrealistic, using some stupid reason (in this care, Nnamdi) and sticking by that for a very extended period of time, and then coming down to agree to a deal, even a deal you may have turned down before, just to try to get the highest possible deal they can. Not even just in football, how many times have we seen Scott Boras come out demanding a 10+ year $200mil deal for some player, just to accept a 7yr $100mil a month and a half later? Obviously the time frames are different in the offseason and preseason, but some just hold it out longer than others.

For all we know, their negotiating strategy, for better or worse, may just be wait till X date, and accept the highest offer they make. For all we know, Revis could be saying wait till the 3rd game, and take the highest offer, and he signs over the weekend and is practicing on monday. Who knows what their motives are behind waiting this long demanding their obviously psychotic contract.

6. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Like if firemen came to your house every day and blasted out the windows with the hoses even though nothing is on fire. Just doing their job.

#7986 BadgerOnLSD, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  7. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

There you go, now it makes sense. :beer:

8. nyy486

nyy486 New Member

Holding out is just as "right" as cutting a guy in the middle of his contract. It has to go both ways in a sport where contracts are not guaranteed.

When a player is cut, we hear all this crap about how the NFL is a "business" and they have to deal with that. Well guess what, football is just as much a job for these players, and it's their right to negotiate what they feel is a fair salary, within the rules. And 90% of the players out there, are in it for the money for the most part.

Not gonna argue money when we don't know what he may or may not agree to in the end.

9. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread (status unknown)

When you're ready to admit you're not competing and are willing to lose tremendous value for 3 years and risk other agents refusing to negotiate with you. In other words, never.

It sucks, yes, and it will continue to suck until players stop hiring these guys. Until then, there will always be someone willing to deal with them. It's a competitive league.

We let him sit or make him retire and we essentially just sit on a chance to be more competitive by acquiring some value for him. So we send a message. Great. That'll be some solace when other teams laugh and do what it takes to win.

We make him play as a malcontent and we send a message to agents that we're harder to deal with and have a negative presence on the field and in the lockerroom.

It's business. It will be dealt with as business. Like I said, the vindictive routine has never flown and never will.

10. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Yes, much better.

11. nyy486

nyy486 New Member

Cause that is totally the job of a fireman...makes sense

12. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Well the thing is, Revis hasn't played out his original deal yet. He already got paid a lot of guaranteed money up front, and now wants more. What happens after he gets a big signing bonus and isn't the highest paid CB anymore in 4 years?

13. nyy486

nyy486 New Member

Players hold out in the middle of contracts, team rip up contracts and release them in the middle of the contract and they never see some of the money, it goes both ways, there is no way around that.

Same risk a player takes when signing a long term deal after he gets cut 2 years into a 5 year deal the season before. Unlikely risk, a guy holding out on a $12-$16 mil deal, whatever it ends up at, if they sign something, but not really anything you can do something about.

14. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

This... hopefully it doesn't happen...

15. UncleTomNYJ

UncleTomNYJ Active Member

How is holding out anywhere near as right as being cut? If the player gets cut it means you cant play up to level the team expects from you. The level which is needed to make it in the nfl. When you hold out you can and most likely play at a high level. Its just a matter of greed when you hold out.

You sign a contract when you are a rookie. Not someone else you. Honor the contract. Also if 90% of the players in the NFL play the game just to get payed then 100% of them are idiots.

16. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Think of it like a regular job. If you can't perform to the level the company is paying you, expect to get fired or take a paycut. In Revis situation, he absolutely deserves a raise. However, he's asking for a 1600% raise for 10 full seasons. That's just absurd. He deserves a raise, but not a raise that will have him accounting for 10% of the salary cap.

17. nyy486

nyy486 New Member

Okay so if one party of a contract feels the other is underperforming at any point, they can release them, but if the other feels they overperforming, they shouldn't be able to do anything about it? Seems awfully one-sided to me.

18. Rascio

Rascio New Member

How can someone defend Revis in this situation? He's basically willing to cripple the team financially to get paid an absurd contract and he's basically saying I don't care if we cant resign other key parts of our team as long as I get paid.

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, can't defend that. Especially when you see other players taking cuts to help teams keep players. Rejecting the $120 million deal is still unbelievable to me.

20. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with you, and I've basically been saying the same thing all along. I just think that from what we know they are going to far. The Jets have offered 20% more than the next long term CB contract to Revis and they're taking it right down to the wire to try and squeeze more out of them.

It's to the point of selfish now in a team game where you need to work together. Tomorrow is the dress rehearsal and he's still holding out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.