The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

I don't wanna read through the last 10 pages of this thread, but did anyone hear Colin Cowherd this morning?

He was bringing up a good point about corners. The Jets don't NEED Revis, while he certainly is a luxury (albeit a top-notch one) to have, they can get to the Super Bowl without him.

Colin was saying that the league is now driven by offense with all of the rule changes and whatnot and the Jets have their priorities straight by signing Brick and Mangold to help protect their QB. This league is a QB driven league. Defense gets you to the playoffs, but offense will win you championships.

Take a look at some of the top corners in the league:
    Champ Bailey
    Nnamdi Asomugha
    Rodgers-Cromartie
    Asante Samuel

These guys are on teams that are mediocre at best. You also have guys like Woodson, Revis, and Leon Hall that are on playoff teams, but that goes to show that a top notch corner doesn't necessarily mean playoffs, top notch QB's and offenses generally do.

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

You can't look at 1 year of a deal and consider it the average. This chart has the average salaries/year.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

That's a good noncommittal statement, but does that mean the other reports of Woody saying the needle hasn't moved were reporters fucking with his actual statement?

4. ........

........ Trolls

That's not a logical position at all. Comparing the final year of a standard escalating contract to the first year of a new one is no way to determine value.

5. ........

........ Trolls

It sounds like Steve Wyche was taking serious liberties with it. I retract what I said earlier about Woody. If a deal is in place, that actual quote doesn't sound like a lie at all.

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

DRC shouldn't be in the conversation.

Cowherd doesn't know football. Rex's scheme is way different and needs corners.

7. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Francesa did it yesterday so that alone should show you how dumb it is.

8. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Sorry. I thought it meant that he was averaging $12 million a year.

9. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

i haven't read the actual article but i wouldn't be surprised. reporters take bits and pieces of quotes all the time to sensationalize them. not that you're not familiar with this. i'm just saying i wouldn't be surprised if this were the case. then again, woody has had some media moments that should've been rethought in the past too.

10. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

We're back in business. Sounds to me like the reporter was taking serious liberties with his quote.

11. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Certainly different than what was paraphrased.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. If that's what Woody actually said, then he's being noncommittal which would indicate these "Revis signed" reports still hold an ounce of water that a deal may be not done, but close.

13. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Seems to me Rex devises the defense around who he has. Our D last year revolved around Revis because we had Revis. In Baltimore he had different players altogether and was successful.

14. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

He ain't signing today so can everyone chill out

My magic 8 ball predicts....154 million , 45 guaranteed ..signed Friday at 14.13 ET

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Man, if the jets win the SB this year I'm never forgetting each step of this plot. This has been one odd ride with these negotioations.

16. 624

624 Banned

Samuel and DRC are overrated and Bailey is well past his prime. I wouldn't call any of those guys a top corner but Nnamdi

17. 624

624 Banned

Can someone give me an update on everything that's happened today? Is this interview happening and what time/channel?

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Very true, but the most successful scheme comes with Revis being here. The jets can have a top 5 defense without him, but I'd like a historic one this year.

19. ........

........ Trolls

This has been an odd and crazy ride ever since Rex joined the team. It's been fun regardless of where it ends up, but a VLT would cement it as one of the greatest multi-season storylines I've seen.

20. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

Wait, so now we are back to thinking Woody's statement today was noncommittal as opposed to just flat out saying there is no ideal.

Sooooooooo........you're....telling......me....there....is...a.....chance????????

I keep trying to look away but this is just too much fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.