The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

ESPN knows nothing.

2. Hennessy2710

Hennessy2710 New Member

3. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I think they're throwing darts and hoping they're right. If it was one of their main clowns like Shefter or Mort that was claiming it they'd be shoving it down our throats.

4. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

The years of work he's already put in and the solid beat reporting he's done (he was a beat reporter with the Cowboys, right?) as well as his appearances on ESPN's around the horn. Breaking the revis story may be another feather in his cap, but it won't be the one thing he looks back on and talks about for the rest of his life.

5. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

They are like the wife who has a cheating husband but just keeps on telling herself that he is working late. They are refusing to acknowledge what is going on.

6. deef

deef Member

They'll just wait for somebody to break the story so they can claim on the air they're breaking the story.

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Perception is everything in show-biz, and he would've garnered extremely positive attention in the largest media market in the country with his bold prediction... assuming he's right of course. If he's wrong, the favor needle swings the complete opposite direction and NYers will forever know him as a lying douchebag.

8. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Really - How successful have they been??????

And it's more than the public - It's The Player at Ohio State and his family right now... It's the kid in High school and his family looking towards the future....

9. xxedge72x

That set should come with buttons to unleash the boxing gloves. You could probably knock out a coked up pedophile former NFL LB with those cannons.

10. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Considering in an eventual cap you'd have to spread that signing bonus number on the actual cap number.... 15/16 mill a season is a bullshit.

I'll say it once again... anything more than a 10 yrs 130 mill deal will piss me off unless there are about 20 mill in DPOY or Superbowl bonuses...

#6590 Mambo9, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  11. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I don't know or care who is right on this one. Its funny to me that the story on who reported it first became more important than the actual event of Revis signing.

12. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I refuse to believe that Tanny would give Revis $15/mil a year. I expect the Revis camp to compromise a little bit more. I don't give two shits about the $65 mil guaranteed if its true because most of it won't count towards the cap.

13. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Yea I don't know why he would cave like that to a guy with little leverage. I would expect the Revis camp to be the ones caving, if anyone.

14. xxedge72x

Why wouldn't it count towards the cap assuming the cap is brought back?

I just don't understand where this assumption keeps coming from.

Also, the yearly part is less damaging to the cap then the guaranteed money. If the Jets give Revis close to what he's asking for but only guaranteed against injury and not fully guaranteed like he wants, then its a win for the Jets regardless because it protects the Jets from Revis becoming lazy in wake of his contract.

15. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Because they could front load most of the guaranteed money as a signing bonus to be handed out this year. Like the Jets could give him a $35 mil signing bonus and spread the other $30 out over 10 years.

16. Hennessy2710

Hennessy2710 New Member

35 Million signing bonus? Why so he can hold out two years from now and complain hes not being paid as the highest CB in the league

17. xxedge72x

But why wouldn't the signing bonus count against the cap?

The NFL made it clear to the teams that any contract signed this offseason would have repercussions against a new cap. Just because there isn't a cap this season doesn't mean the signing bonus money wouldn't be prorated against future cap years.

18. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I don't think they'd give him that much up front because there is no reason he wouldn't do this again in a few years after pocketing that 35 mil. It would make sense to give it to him as a good signing bonus, but I don't know if it'll be that much.

19. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Except for signing bonuses, which are exempt. Read the rules again.

20. xxedge72x

Also, whether a deal is frontloaded or not, Revis can't hold out 3 years into a 10 year deal where he's already getting paid as the premium CB in the NFL.

The Jets would tell him to go F himself and not pay him, which would get him absolutely nothing. I also imagine after two Revis holdouts the Jets won't do any deal without holdout protections in this next contract.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.