The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The length and salary isn't the probelm but $65 mil guaranteed? That's ludicrous.

Would the final 2 years of the current deal be converted to guaranteed money making the guaranteed # look much better than it actually is as he was going to have that money guaranteed anyway w/ the buyback?

2. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

65 guaranteed, is only 40 million more, than you had currently committed.

35 mil SB on a 7 year extension (taking his length of service to 10 years), is reasonable.

After that...you're going to guarantee portions of the first couple years of the extension.

Or, to protect the team, you could guarantee roughly 50% of his salary for the next 5 contract years, according to his previous stipulation (not missing time etc...)

If the makes it through year 6, you've paid him a total of 108 million since the draft, and he's averaged 12 mil a year. Then you can part ways, and take a cap hit on what ever SB proration is left.

3. Hobbes3259

That's how I would do it, or as above.

half of his next 6 seasons would be fully guaranteed (with stipulations).

But that was my point.

You had already committed 20 mil in guarantees on his rookie deal.

that 20, plus the SB at 35, gets you to 55....without breaking a sweat.

4. rudd28

rudd28 New Member

Who is this Bob Pompeani guy??? On Chris Mortensens Twitter, it says "Pompeani 'hears' the Revis deal is done, 10yrs $150mm, $65mm Guaranteed". Won't believe it until i hear it...

I cannot post links to Morts Twitter since it's blocked at work, but it's on there...

5. rudd28

rudd28 New Member

Sorry...I guess that's old news. Didn't go through today's posts yet...

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

$15 million a year isn't a problem?

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

People with reputation include names like Mike Florio and Adam FrankenSchein.

It means diddly poo.

8. mystikol

mystikol New Member

I don't think the agents are really concerned with he general public's awareness of their existence; anybody in the business would already know these guys well, since they've been so successful.

9. xxedge72x

A whole new reality show spinoff of the Apprentice with host Revis Christ... call it... The Acolyte.

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Nah, the guaranteed money is what it is all about. We have a great cap guy running the team and I'm confident in him.

That would make it look like an insane amount of guaranteed money when in reality it would "only" be $35 mil or so new.

11. Hobbes3259

Not on the backend. You'll be renegotiating that.

The important years on this extension are the 4 years behind his rookie deal.

12. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

One of the only comments that has made an ounce of sense. Again, I really hope it happens and we can all rejoice, but I'm not counting on it.

On another note, I've seen a number of posts talking about how this is going to "Make Cowlishaw's career." I've got news for you...to other than us die hard Jets fans, this story isn't that big of a deal. It's not like the Brett Favre story a couple years ago, and it's not like LeBron earlier this summer. It's a cornerback. Put yourself in another fan's shoes. If Woodson held out and then signed a deal, would any of you give a shit?? Probably not. I know I wouldn't.

13. Hobbes3259

Exactly.

Now put in context of his rookie deal.

He's averaged 5 mil per. If you consider 10 mil of the sb this year, 2 each of the next
    two years, hes still averaged only 8.5 mil per over the first 6 years, which he's clearly earned.

14. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

He works for KDKA in Pittsburgh, he is a sportscaster... his sources are 'people at the county" though. Not sure how reliable inmates are. Maybe Revis Island has been renamed to Revis Attica or revis Quentin to play alongside Al Crotraz.

15. xxedge72x

So by that logic, how is a career made then, since theoretically all NFL fans only care about their teams?

Jets fans care most... but then you have division rivals, followed by opponents, followed by fans of the game, followed by fantasy football maniacs, and lastly people who like to just keep up on the news. I doubt we're the only ones who give a shit.

16. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

But Revis isn't just another CB, he is the best defensive player in the NFL on the best defensive team in the league.

17. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Exactly, about $60 mil on the last 3 years making it about $13 M a year over the first 7

I am going to guess even a little more on the back end.

18. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I see the wheels are still spinning 100 MPH in this thread and there's still no progress.

I wasn't going to bring this up......but i guess I probably should....so here goes.

If Tanny would've worn this badboy during the first negotiation meeting with Revis' camp....the deal would've been done

[​IMG]

I mean....look what it did for Tebow....he jumped up into the first round of the draft.

[​IMG]

19. Hennessy2710

Hennessy2710 New Member

Cimni on ESPN NOW

20. jetsmets93

jetsmets93 Member

cimini is on espn now... isnt saying anything new... he thinks if he shows up it would be a band aid deal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.