The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forum7200

Forum7200 Member

Tanny has done a great job I dont see him being pressured into something he does not want to do or is not prepared for.

2. ........

........ Trolls

Sure, we can agree that we don't have all the information. However, the fact that it's so FAR above other existing contracts and contains so much more guaranteed money has to account for something.

We have no idea how it's structured, but there's no way that if those numbers are accurate, we're looking at an easily manageable contract. You're only going to rein in record setting numbers so far.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

We don't know the details yet. Let's not crucify anyone until the numbers are confirmed.

If those are the real #s, Revis wasn't going to be paid less than 13 m a season.

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

This sounds like a Tanny deal. It's got a Brick-like structure where the surface seems like a great deal but the details show it's a fair deal for all.

He's starting week 1. That's all I care about.

5. ........

........ Trolls

I think we can all agree that's the bottom line.

6. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Yes, it is a very large contract that is going to have serious financial implications for the team down the road. But we have Tannenbaum writing the deal and he seems to be pretty good with handling these things.

Look at Brick's deal, he doesn't see the complete value unless Rex shoots enough meth before a game to convince him it's a good idea to throw the franchise left tackle out on special teams coverage and punt/FG blocking duty.

I'm not trying to say that concerns are unwarranted but these numbers right now are just rumors and here-say. We knew any contract he signed was going to be huge, probably record-setting. There aren't too many reasonable deals when dealing with the team's best player(unless you're the 90's Cardinals).

7. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member

i think we can all relate to this.

8. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Exactly. Nobody knows, not even the players. That's one reason why Revis wants a deal right now - cuz he's not too sure of the future. And that knowledge/thinking alone should've been enough for Revis to accept a deal more reasonable.

However, NFL GMs are acting as if there WILL be NFL next year. They are being optimistic, even though chances of not having NFL next year are probably around 20% imo. If this situation arised 5 times, I would say we'd see NFL 4 times and one time there would be black out, just like in NHL. NHL's popularity/interest is no where near NFL's.

9. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

The contract would most likely be similar to this one and it looks good to any Jet fan. But guaranteeing 16.2 mil in year one is irrelevant. If we are to sign a player on a 10 year contract, Im sure we would keep him in year one. There has to be some sort of guarantee towards the future, rather than the first years base salary. And you have got to have loads of incentives in those years towards the end of his contract so that his play doesn't derail and if he is still playing at an elite level at aged 32, I wouldn't mind paying him $12 mil in 2017 plus a chance to gain another $8 mils in hard earned incentives. If he reaches those incentives (which should include team performance bonuses such as making or winning a playoff game or two), it would sweeten the deal for both parties.

His base salaries should be around $12-15 mil the last three years with a chance to gain another $5-8 mils in incentives. We look at the 2017-2019 salaries in terms of today's money. But we have to keep in mind the NFL salary inflation. Elite CBs in 2017 would most likely be making near the $20 mil a year range. having Revis for $12 mils plus incentives would be pretty awesome.

10. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

In less than two days, there have been 72 pages on this discussion. Average of almost 2 pages an hour, or about 35 posts an hour including the nights. Wow!!

11. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

So is it legit that he is signing? I've been gone a few days and this thread moves pretty fast.

12. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

I posted the same question. 7 hours and 30 pages later, I still don't know.

13. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

So far nothing is confirmed, but there's a lot more smoke billowing out of this story.

14. BrooklynbornJet

BrooklynbornJet New Member

Seems like some news might have just broke, the site slippery banana just had an announcement up and now the site is down...this is what the site said.

NEW YORK - Jets fans, you can finally relax and take a seat, #24 will be on the field proving his worth as the best cornerback in the NFL week 1 against the Ravens. Sources say that the New York Jets and Darrelle Revis have agreed in principle on a 10 year, $152 million dollar contract that will essentially make him a Jet for life. Details of guaranteed compensation are ranging from $55-70M against injury.

Sources say that the announcement will become official on tonight's episode of Hard Knocks on HBO. Speculation is rampant that the weeks of silence from both sides leading up to this moment were the only way to ensure that the sides could secretly plan to announce the contract on Hard Knocks. The two sides had agreed in principle on a deal on August 12th, the day they agreed to keep their negotiations in-house. The delay in the announcement was due to the fact that the guarantees of the deal were the sticking point, and they have since been agreed upon.

Revis will be paired with Antonio Cromartie on the outside, while promising rookie Kyle Wilson will assume nickel responsibilities. With Jim Leonhard and Brodney Pool as the starting safety tandem, this group is sure to form the best secondary in the NFL today.

FINALLY - I can tell people that the New York Jets officially have the best defense in the NFL today, without question. The incumbent unit surrendered less than 14 points a game last year, tops in the NFL. Much of that was due to the fact that Darrelle Revis kept #1 receivers limited to the tune of an average of less than 29 yards per game.

Woody Johnson opened his wallet a little more than he wanted to, and Darrelle settled for stuffing his wallet with $152 million vs $162 million. On behalf of Jets fans everywhere, thank you Darrelle for agreeing to become the second highest ANNUAL SALARY at your position, you selfish pr!ck.

Now that he's officially signed, you're sure to see some extravagant display on Hard Knocks

#6494 BrooklynbornJet, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  15. woutervz

woutervz Member

Wow if that's true, I'm more then happy that he signed but also a bit afraid against which conditions, if it's 10 years 152 million that's a lot of money which can hurt us a lot!! But I still have trust in Tanny that we didn't put a rope on our neck due to 1 contract!!

16. twown

twown Well-Known Member

game plan for this defense, bitches. you have less than one week to prepare. enjoy.

17. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

Can people stop calling him Mevi$ now? Please?

18. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

They will when the season starts and he starts making plays. Then people will return to the church of Revis Christ. And he will forgive those who have sinned. Why? Because if he has $65 million guaranteed, he won't give a damn what anyone says about him.

19. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Aight, Brovis....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.