The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forum7200

Forum7200 Member

How much will this deal hurt us no matter what it is when it comes time to Pay Sanchez again

2. Forum7200

Forum7200 Member

Exactly if that all happens then money well spent

3. Montana

Montana Member

No chance there's 65 million guaranteed.

4. MK1

MK1 Member

well if the numbers are true, the Jets will not be able to sign 1 of the players contracts that is coming up next year.

5. ........

........ Trolls

That depends on what the new cap looks like and how Sanchez develops. He won't have incentive to work out a new deal until the 2013 offseason either way.

6. ........

........ Trolls

Considering that the deal blows the highest overall contract out by 35 million and the highest defensive guaranteed money out by 23 million, I'd be shocked if Tanny gave in to this deal.

7. MeanGreene23

MeanGreene23 New Member

At this point I gotta believe Tannys got it all figured out. He has signed Brick and Mangold. He must have Revis set on a number that still gives us flexibility with Harris, Cro, Edawrds, and Holmes. Between BE and Holmes only one will return this has pretty much been a given. Harris will get a deal. We might have to watch Cro walk, we drafted Wilson for a reason.

8. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread (4AM Email - Revis in by Thursday?)

That is a ridiculous amount to pay for a CB. A lot of that guaranteed money would have to come in a signing bonus. The Jets would not do that, that number has to be bloated.

These reports are coming from all over the map except here. Our beat writers are gonna slap someone when this is done. Lol

9. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Stupid question but does guaranteed money automatically = an up-front signing bonus? Or can you guarantee that money in chunks...say, $30 million in a signing bonus and the rest in the next few years spread out?

I'd hate this deal on the grounds that Revis basically won a total victory and the douches like Francesa would have reason to gloat about how Revis had all the cards and forced the Jets' hand (which would be true if they gave in to this type of deal). Not to mention it makes it that much harder to sign Harris and our other FA's next year.

10. MadBacker Prime

One of the things I read that is almost guaranteeing a lockout next year is the owners trying to lower the cap, which obviously isn't going to happen.

I could see a very slight increase, maybe just to $130 million. I was blasting the Phins for their BM deal, this would make that look like a Chinese food order.

11. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

It's better then the 160m that he was demanding.

12. MadBacker Prime

No not all signing bonus, but because of the reallocation rule a lot of this deal would rely on it. A large signing bonus that is. A lot of trust if true.

13. MadBacker Prime

Lmao. I needed a good laugh.

14. BrooklynbornJet

BrooklynbornJet New Member

I hope this is true so we can just get him back to the team already, also this guy is a big name in pittsburgh sports reporting and from Revis's area and cowlinshaw said he heard numbers but dismissed them because the gaurenteed money seemed to high, so maybe this is true.

15. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Interesting Twitter back-and-forth:

He's got a point - if the Revis interview is real, he must have a deal in place already or else the confidentiality agreement would be breached, right?

16. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Three things that we don't know surrounding this deal:

1. What the salary cap is going to look like if/when it returns
    2. How the money spreads out over the years, IE: Back-loaded, mid-loaded...etc.
    3. How much of that non-guaranteed money is coming from his salary vs. incentives and escalators.

As I said before, it's a lot easier to write that contract than most people think. Just because it's worth $150 million doesn't mean he sees all of it.

17. MadBacker Prime

Even so the cap value each year would still be too big IMO.

18. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

This has probably been posted a million times in this thread, but if Revis can't get off the "highest paid cornerback" or "$162M over 10 years" trip, Tanny might be able to get out of this by giving out a contract the agents can parade around town.

Give Revis a comfortable signing bonus ($20 million?) and guarantee the first year at 16.2 million. That's 36.2 million guaranteed and he's outearning Nnamdi; hopefully that would be satisfactory. Pay him 9 million next year to be cap friendly, and pay him 20, 20 and 25 million his last three years (which he won't see). Spread out the rest evenly over the remaining years.

Revis is the highest paid cornerback this year and can brag about "16.2 plus a quarter for ten years!" He also gets a fat chunk of change right now. Feinsod can show his friends and neighbors the "162 Million Dollars" newspaper headline. The Jets essentially sign Revis to a 7-year, $97 million dollar contract worth about 13-14 million per year with a very manageable, cap-friendly 2011.

That seems reasonable. Everybody compromises, football is played, glory is had.

19. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

We don't know what the cap is going to be next year. We don't even know if there will be an NFL for next year.

Can't we just enjoy the idea of having the best CB tandem in the league for this season and then piss and moan about this contract later.

You know, like when we have numbers and details that are worth pissing and moaning about.

20. MadBacker Prime

I hear ya, I want Revis back too but that's a lot of coin. Just wait and see, I think your right, in the end Tanny will do what's best. I just hope this isn't Woody pulling the strings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.