The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

This is the truth. If the Jets lock themselves into 10 years of such a massive contract, their up shits creek without a paddle if it fails early on.

The Jets need to be careful with a deal this large. As much as we all want the Super Bowl to happen yesterday, it isn't worth throwing away the next 10 years in order to only think about today.

2. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

no I wouldn't if I had a great chance at winning a ring. I'm not saying he shouldn't get a fat rise but he should come to camp and be a team player.

3. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Exactly.

The stupid fan...the person Im dying to be and used to be..and at the age of 50..time is flying by with no Super Bowl...says screw it..give it to him and go for it.

History is bitter when you have that attitude..and you play the Knick game of fighting 3 to 4 years of trying to get your out of control CAP back under control..and you sit there watching your team unable to put key pieces of the puzzle back together. Its a tough call...but the right call is what MT has done so far...lock up the guys that showed up.

4. xxedge72x

I wouldn't hold a criticism like that over a player when other players wouldn't. The NFL is configured where teams can easily screw players and do screw players all the time (Leon), Revis is doing what he has to in order to make sure that doesn't happen to him as well.

The players understand that... probably because they deal with the same dangers he does... most just never get the chance like Revis does.

Sure you can point to the way Mangold handled his situation, and it is legitimate... but the way Revis is handling it is just as legitimate, if not more upsetting to fans.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

As long as there are no guaranteed contracts in the NFL the Jets won't have locked themselves into anything more than one year. All the monopoly money numbers are just that.

6. nycztonee

nycztonee Active Member

I'd assume that you're referring to me. if you got that out of what I said, you were just making your own assumptions. So you are basically saying that if Revis performs well for a month, he'll be back to his God-like stature. You know what? I actually agree with you there. Temporarily. Where we disagree is how it'll end up IF they don't win the whole thing.

Revis' skills won't be the problem the Jets don't win SB, but the fans won't be too quick to forget the mess of this contract situation that occured this offseason. People will find a way to complain about Revis. You know why? Because Revis gave us this opening. The ultimate goal is to reach the Super Bowl and win it. Anything short of that is a dissapointment and fans will exploit all the negative memories from beginning of the season.

FYI, although I didn't get into details of Revis' hypothetical contract, I did mention that the contract he signs will ultimately have a bearing in the case that the contract leans more favorable towards Revis' demands. Not because the contract Revis signs has any effect on other players this season, because it won't. It's because fans will use this negative publicity to exploit him.

Whether you agree or not, Revis in most of our minds won't be the same until we achieve our goal. NY is no bullshit market where the fans are happy go-little tootie-wootie you're forgiven because you tried.

Revis won't be the sole victim of fan complaints, but it will be there along with complaints of other players. Again, not due to lack of skills (who are we kidding?), but because of the negativity he has portrayed in so many of our minds. That's where our differences lie.

7. xxedge72x

Besides... how often does it really work when you put all your eggs in one basket?

Since Tannenbaum has been in charge the Jets have never had cap problems... I have no doubt whatever deal they do sign the Jets will be protected... no matter who gives more ground.

8. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

The way Revis is handling the situation isn't legit, as he is getting fined each day he is not with the team. Is it a negotiating tactic? Yes, however it is underhanded, and he has done it before. This thing would be settled already in my mind if he had not held out of TC, like Mangold and D'Brick.

Also, the Jets offered Leon a more then fair deal, but he wanted MJD money, so instead of signing the contract with 5 mill, he went into the season without a contract and got hurt. He could have had his contract signed already, but he chose not to. It wasn't like the Jets were trying to wait till his contract was up to sign him, they had already offered him a great deal.

9. xxedge72x

That's exactly why the Jets don't want to drop a 60 million signing bonus on Revis... because suddenly you have all that money pro-rated over 10 years... that could haunt them.

10. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

it not like the jets didn't offer him a fat rise oh that right he has to feed his family and 12mil a year wont do that sorry asshole mevis

11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

There may well be people saying nothing more than Get it Done, but I don't see anyone here saying that. I certainly don't believe the Jets should sign whatever deal it takes to get Revis into camp.

What bothers me about the anti-Revis hardliners here is they seem to assume all the rumors suggesting the Jets have been reasonable to be true, as well as believing all the bad things said about Revis's position and offers.

One thing I do think is true is if both sides can show flexibility, a deal is possible. Without that, a deal probably will not happen.

12. xxedge72x

Holdouts are a safeguard for players against teams who would gladly reduce salary / cut other players when performance expectations aren't met, but sit idly on players who exceed performance expectations or try to save face by providing a token raise which isn't really commensurate with performance. At the end of the day nothing is guaranteed in the NFL and the risk of career ending injury is so high that really the holdout is one of the very ways the players can defend themselves against teams who otherwise hold all the cards.

If you can't see the value in that then I assume you've not worked long enough to know what its like to be taken advantage of.

13. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

I heard Cimini on the radio talk about it yesterday and he said it would not surprise him if TC was right and that the guy is a good journalist not some blog hack trying to make a name for himself.

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Signing bonuses in an uncapped year are all absorbed in the first year. Of course he could sit out again next year and ask for more. That has to be part of the thought process.

15. xxedge72x

I was under the impression that the NFL has warned teams to be frugal with their uncapped spending because it would have consequences in future years under a new CBA.

I assumed that would mean any deals signed this year would apply same as they always had under the new CBA... however I don't know this to be fact or have researched it enough to really even have a good idea...

I just can't imagine the league would allow teams to get away with that... if they could then Revis might already be under contract.

16. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Why would it make a difference? He wants $16MM/year.

17. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

+ that $0.50 WSW

18. ........

........ Trolls

How was I simply making my own assumptions? This is what you said:

Everyone will get over it if they win the whole thing. Therefore, everyone will not get over it if they don't. In fact, if they don't, they'll post a flood of negative threads. I'm not sure where my untoward assumption fits in.

See, I hate this argument. I'm not saying it's necessarily wrong for a lot of people, but you're essentially calling New York sports fans morons. You're saying that people will recognize that he's not the problem, and yet they'll find ways to bitch about him anyway because he allowed them to. He opened himself up to criticism, therefore it's perfectly reasonable for people to blame him for things which aren't his fault.

I happen to think a lot of NY sports fans are quite reasonable, and I don't generally care to converse with the other ones. That's why I post here instead of some of the other sites.

This is probably the strongest point, but I don't think it has much bearing on this year. People will and should criticize his contract if it makes it untenable to retain our other players. If his contract is in that $16 million range, it'll do just that. I've said it before, I'd hate that contract. I also haven't seen anything from Tanny to make me think he'd be willing to sink the team over one player.

There has to be some middle ground between "tootie wootie" and all New York being a sports moron haven. I happen to think the truth lies in that middle ground. It's not "you're forgiven because you tried", it's "you're forgiven because you play at a high level and help my team win." If Revis singlehandedly costs the team, which you've admitted is unlikely, I can see people hating him for being overpriced. If he does his job well and the team falters, then aside from the contracts issue next year, I really don't see people holding all this against him in the long run.

Again, if Revis returns and continues to play at a dominant level, anyone who continues to hold this holdout business against him is a moron. unless his value cripples the team's ability to sign other players. I refuse to believe New York's fan community is predominated by morons.

19. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Franny just said there is no way that TC is right about DR

20. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Franny as in Francesca? I would trust any anonymous twitter post over that guy, especially a respected journalist. Of course he would take the r'tard PFT POV giving 0 chance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.