The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

I totally agree and I was one of them.

I just don't understand after reading up on this for the last 2 days how Cowlishaw could be the one breaking this story. It just doesn't make sense. I want it to be true as badly as anyone on here, but I just don't think it will happen. He's sticking to his guns more than I would expect anyone too if he didn't have GREAT info, but I just don't see it happening.

#5641 Jets-N-Terps, Aug 24, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The total number is not the only issue, from what I understand. There is the question of what portion is guaranteed. It should be possible I think to throw him a bone on some part of the contract. It does not have to involve the total number.

I am also speaking in practical terms. Both sides to a deal, deals that get made, want to feel good about it. That's the nature of agreement.

3. nyJETS0511

nyJETS0511 Banned

gdamn if Revis knew he would be this good.....he would of signed a 3 year deal MAYBE a 4 year deal....and we wouldnt be here right now.....all he saw were the bigger $$$ with a 6 year......BUT he didnt know hed be this good AND his agent wanted to be paid more $$ NOW and coaxed him into the 6 year........what a joke

4. Big Blocker

And you "know" his camp is dead set how?

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

You could say he has already screwed around with their season if Wilson hasn't gotten enough reps at nickle and now has to change position whenever Revis decides to walk in. You could also say he screwed with it because he wasn't there to help mentor him too.

6. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

That's my thing, too. I was hoping for someone else ANYONE ELSE to corroborate. Nothing.

7. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Wilson has been getting reps with the 1's against the 1's without Revis being around. If anything Revis not being around has given Wilson more of an opportunity to develop his coverage skills. As far as not mentoring him, the Jets have some other pretty good players in the secondary so i'm sure someone is helping him out when he needs it.

8. nycztonee

nycztonee Active Member

after he went from hero to near zero in terms of fan support, i doubt one month is enough to justify the jets fan mentality. It also depends heavily on which contract he signs. If for some reason the deal leans more favorably towards Revis' side, he'd better give an year similar to last season or else Jets fans will find a way to make him the devil again. Don't forget how easy it is for a star player to be hated in New York.

Gholston, Coleman, the typical scapegoats will get their share of threads in the event of unfortunate ending to a season, but Revis I believe will garner more negative attention for the me-first approach to this offseason.

9. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Did U think that NOBODY else has TC source & that is NOBODY including everyone of our beat reporters, Sheffy, Morty & Clayton, King, Myers etc, etc, etc

10. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

I thought Mort, King and Lombardi were told of the source that Cowlishaw used and said it was a legit source.

11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Wouldn't these people protect their sources?

12. ........

........ Trolls

That's completely untrue. Neither he nor his agent wanted the 6 year. Tanny fought for the 6 year deal, which is why the option structure was eventually worked in. It's there as a compromise between a 5 or 6 year contract.

13. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Nope they say that TC is usually reliable & would put credence that he is correct with his report but they DID NOT say they were told the source

14. Don

If it is nothing more than coming back in and taking the best deal available then it is easy to see how nobody else knows a thing. That is really easy to keep quiet. The workings of a contract are not.

15. ........

........ Trolls

Yes. It's easy for a star player to be hated if he doesn't perform. Revis won't have that problem. We'll see what happens, but I'd bet a month of playing time is more than enough for most people to get over their Revis hate.

16. Cribb

Cribb New Member

Once Revis is in uniform fans will return to worship him. Even those who continue with the Mevi$ shit.

17. Don

Actually Mevi$ deserves a lot of credit..it says everything in a simple play on his name. It took a lot of imagination just as M$ did when that was given to microsoft. It sucks that it is out there now, I agree, but it will probably be there for awhile.

18. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I really think the only thing Revis cares about is getting a new contract and how much money is guaranteed over the first three seasons. He wants to know that at the end of 3 seasons he will have earned $40 million plus.

The Jets I'm guessing are saying that since your under contract for 3 more seasons we are not giving you a new contract but will you give an extension. Since your under contract you have no leverage to ask for 40 million in guarantees. Furthermore with all of the uncapped year rules, the only way for the Jets to truly guarantee him money is to give him a signing bonus right now. A roster bonus a year from now can only be guareenteed for skill or injury not both. So if the Jets give him a $25 million bonus this off season, just imagine that in 2 years his agents will be complaining that his base salary is too low and they need more money.

The Jets are in a tough spot if they are not willing to give him a large signing bonus this off season.

Brick and probably Mangold have contracts where the big money is not activated until the 2011 season starts. Brick will need to carry injury insurance until that happens.

19. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

That's not what has been reported over and over though. The Jets say they will not even negotiate guarantees until total compensation is agreed on. They also say they're flexible on guarantee/bonus money. They have offered $120MM/10years and team Revis wants $160MM/10 years.

Revis wants "50 cents more" than Aso.

20. Big Blocker

I generally agree, but those who say it depends on the contract itself have something of a point. One that weighs the Jets down too much is a problem even if Revis returns and plays as well as last year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.