The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Yeah, but 2 things. One, the gag order, probably not a deal breaker but it could cause some problems. Who knows what the situation is with that. Second, and most important to remember, this show is being run by Revis' people. They got the gag order to stop the Jets side from talking, then a leak to just one reporter that was sure to grab the attention of millions of people without giving away everything. All building up to something big, ala the Lebron thing. These guys have massive egos, Revis, Deion, the agents, all of them. How powerful do you think they feel now, knowing they can make history in a way? They're playing us, and we're on the hook big time.

Screw the Jets contract, this could mean a lot more money on endorsement deals. When Cowlishaw asked Deion why he advised Crabtree to hold out when all he got was the same contract he was going to get all along. I think we know the answer to that now. (Of course, as far as I know, that's been a failure so far, but I know what the thought process was behind it)

2. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

As we get further along in the week hopefully we'll hear something more than Tim Cowlishaw and his Twitter account. At least one more corroboration of some movement among the parties is good.

3. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Interesting. GeigerGeiger set all of his tweets to private.

4. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I am not buying that. Revis was great in 2009 but he's not Deion Sanders circa the early 1990s. Sanders was a flashy cornerback who was exciting to watch on interception returns. Also key was his punt returning. Revis does not return kicks and he really is not flashy. I just don't see Revis being a big enough name outside of the NFL world to conduct any type of dog and pony show like LeBron James did.

5. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

I would be surprised if Cowlishaw doesn't know everything, how else could you get a respected national journalist to put himself out on a limb unless you told him the entire plan and assured him it was going to happen? Of course, I don't know what the plan is yet, but I can only assume it will be Hard Knocks, and that we won't know a damn thing until Wednesday night at 10pm EST.

I think this is all you're going to get, because they want it that way. Its going to be a tough 2 days to get through, but I've got to try. Another 5am wakeup for me in the morning, I should have been in bed hours ago.

6. Benny Bing

Benny Bing New Member

Agreed. He certainly defended himself strongly and stuck to his story.

I believe this:
    Someone told TC that Revis would get signed on Wednesday. He trusts that source enough to go out on a big limb.

7. Benny Bing

Benny Bing New Member

I agree that if it happens it will happen on Hard Knocks. Too good a show to pass up. Especially if Rex finds him in his room.

8. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Don't forget Sanders also played baseball..... Anyway, agreed Revis does not have anywhere near the name recognition.

9. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Everything has to start somewhere. And anyway, I said like Lebron, I know he won't ever be that big. How many defensive backs have their own shoe commercial? When was the last time a holdout got this much press? Sure, he's not flashy, but he is getting a ton of hype.

10. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

What do you think will happen on that show?

Do you think news will be broken on a taped show on a premium TV channel? That seems far-fetched to me.

11. Fatman&Robin

Fatman&Robin Member

Rex will be doing room checks at night. He moves on to Revis' room doing the whole "Revvvvvissssss. Revis come home!" joke again. But this time when he opens the door, there is wittle Revis being tucked in by Geiger with a little baby spinny thing hanging from the ceiling with $100 bills hanging from it.

12. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I thought that they left Courtland?

13. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread (continued) (Cowlishaw twitter rumored deal done)

Yeah, there's just no chance. I still think that if it's true, we'll know it by tomorrow night, he'll be in camp Wednesday, and we'll see it on Hard Knocks.

I don't buy the deadline to sign whatever offer's on the table, but I do think it's entirely possible that Revis has decided to accept and wants to spin it all to make him look good for the fans.

14. MeanGreene23

MeanGreene23 New Member

Maybe the Jets were able to work out a deal with Mangold because they already figured out some side deal with Revis? I can hope cant I?

15. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread (continued) (Cowlishaw twitter rumored deal done)

They did, and yet a dozen people have made the same tired joke now.

16. Benny Bing

Benny Bing New Member

It's possible, even plausible.

17. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Haha, Ok 2.
    If we want to win as a team, we shower as a team. :rofl:

18. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Last year Deion came out and said Woodson, not Revis, deserved DPOY before they announced the award. So I doubt Darrelle would have been too happy with him after that.

19. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I think the Mangold contract was done for very good football reasons but the hidden agenda was:

1) We will pay the players that put team first. Screw you Mevis.

2) We don't have to worry about paying you anymore, so we can break the piggy bank , sign Mangold and Harris, and let you sit and rot in a diner with your agents.

3) The Jets will still be a good team, with or without you. Go suck a root.

But, I've been pretty Mevi$ negative... I want Harris resigned now. Mevi$... go suck a root.

20. ........

........ Trolls

It can't happen right now. His 'cap' number (no cap, but used for percent purposes) for 2010 is $900k. Because of the 30% rule, his max would be $1.17 million. That includes everything but signing bonuses. I don't see any way of getting him under contract before the new CBA when his deal will at LEAST be in the $6 million per year range...and probably higher.

EDIT: Whoops. Brain fart.

#5560 ........, Aug 24, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.