The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon!!!!!

2. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

I lost internet for 4 hours whats the deal? What did Timmy say?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfSZY3PwDc4[/YOUTUBE]

i found this i'm about to listen.

3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

The flaw in that reasoning is that as a Defensive coach, Rex KNOWS the rules are slanted against the defense.

(P.S. did you miss that article about the Jets coaching staff performing a study of last years top 5 offenses????)

4. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Oh yay, here we go again.
    Game 4? Probably exactly like the first three games that Holmes is going to be suspended for. Now game 5 where Holmes is allowed to return to the team? Probably the same as the first four with Holmes coming into the #3 WR position instead of Coles or Clowney since he would have been out of practice with the team for a month.
    No, you are just about to complicate the issue.
    The GM is supposed to bring in the best talent for the team. This includes the team systems. That's why you wouldn't see the Jets going after someone like Gary Bracket or take another shot at Jon Vilma because they don't fit the system.
    The OC sets the system. That's what any good GM will try to build the offensive talent around. It's not a straight Top-down, order from on-high system. GMs who cannot find the talent to fit their systems typically don't have a job for too long.
    No. You don't. Not when you have a coach that focuses on the running game as much as Rex does. Even if the Jets want to run the ball out of 3 WR sets, Holmes isn't the one you want out there in the slot. Brad Smith would probably be the best for that role. He's a beast run blocker and is much more suited there than Holmes.
    Moving Cotchery to the inside/#3 roll really doesn't make that much sense. He does his best work on the sidelines as a possession guy. Why would you want to take that kind of an outlet away from Sanchez to replace him with another vertical option?

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I guess it's possible that the quiet period was just too quiet for somebody and they leaked this to get the situation back in the spotlight. My gut tells me that the longer this stays quiet the more Revis is backed into a corner, since he has no real leverage at this point once the Jets have accepted the fact that he is not with the team.

In that circumstance his camp might decide to try to get the story back in the news to try to shake things up. I don't think this is what happened here but I guess it's possible.

I can't believe that we're in the second day post-Cowlishaw and nobody has managed to confirm the rumor if it's true though. It would take Revis-Jets-HBO all in cahoots, with probably the NFL office involved also, for this to stay under wraps once it had started to leak out.

6. CatoTheElder

Regarding what exactly? The choice not to pick a LB?

7. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Cato:

Everything you said is spot on except for my quote of your text. The one thing about Rex, unlike past coaches, is he modifies his system for the player. Before the Saints game he praised Vilma and said he would have loved to coach him. And in another line of questioning mentioned he would have found a way for his system to fit Jon's skills.

This is one of the reasons that me (and most of us) like Rex's coaching style. Now granted that may not work for Schotty, but I'm sure Rex' influence on Schotty would make Schotty rethink sticking to a single philosophy and come up with some plays to use the talents of the specific people in the group.

8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Not sure if it was talked about but I heard Shefter on Michael Kay's show and he said he talked to evertone he could and could not find one person who said Revis' signing was imminent.
    As a matter of fact he said the sides haven't really even communicated.

9. CatoTheElder

OK, I'll give you the part on Rex and Vilma, but for the offense, I really don't see Schottenheimer being given the green light to go Mike Martz or even Tom Moore with the play-calling. If anything, Rex's influence is probably holding Schottenheimer back from pressing too much with the passing game, something we've seen Schottenheimer do before and get himself in trouble with.

10. Br4d

Cotchery can't be the odd man out when Edwards has only ever had one season and that was 3 years ago. The idea that you'd sit an 80-90 catch guy with great hands who runs good routes and gets yards after the catch so that you could play a one-season wonder who has been trying to recapture that season ever since is laughable. When the Jets signed Holmes they put Edwards on a 4-game warning to shape up or sit a lot.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I soooooooooooo hope it's true so that somebody finally knocks that smug look off his face for good.

12. Hobbes3259

Sorry man, I cant C&P all the tags to separate all those..

Ok. You win Games 5-18..

Now you're comparing keeping WR talent, to bringing in undersized 4-3 LB's to
    a 3-4 team?

The OC brings his own system, true enough..you're still arguing against yourself.

If the OC sets the system, why are we even more of a run oriented team now, than we were prior to the current H.C.?

(All I am saying here is, there is always a degree of flexibility...)

Are you really, arguing for Brad Smith instead of Holmes..because you think he's a better blocker?!?!?!?!? Let's just keep Hartsock, and end the discussion....

End of the day...

If you can budget all three, you keep all three. Not saying they can...My point was if
    the $$$$ 24 is looking for could keep all three...it's not a bad trade off.

(and to that end, Cotchery is expendable, talent wise)

13. Hobbes3259

Cotchery does not fill the same role as Edwards.

He fills the same role as Holmes, and Holmes is the better player.

14. Br4d

Even if that were true, and I disagree since Hines Ward played that role in Pittsburgh, the Jets would be better off with two high end WR's playing the possession role than one playing possession and a lesser WR playing the stretch role.

Holmes played opposite Ward the same way that Plaxico played opposite Ward, as the stretch guy who doubled as a possession WR when needed.

15. Hobbes3259

To be perfectly clear, Cato is correct that Holmes and Edwards are the two most similar.

(Also, Cotchery is the oldest...by a year)

16. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

I was being facetious about the plot twists and conspiracies and paranoia swirling around this whole thing.

17. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

It's good to know that when the next brawl breaks out you will have my back.

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

o (filler)

19. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

If these numbers are indeed correct, this is just obscene.

20. Hobbes3259

If that's accurate, the only response, is...we'll count on Darrelle to play his way to Free Agency.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.