The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

But what if they both use the same source???!1!?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Kyi0WNg40[/YOUTUBE]

2. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

3. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I want to be optimistic too........believe me.

4. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

pft says its mangold thats close, not revis

5. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

It would definitely be cocaine possession.

6. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I'm happy with that.

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I love this league source crap. Why would anybody in the league know anything unless a contract had already been signed and submitted for approval? If that happened why would anybody deny anything? It has always been a mystery and as often it has been wrong.

8. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

9. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

Is it any less credible then Tim Cowlishaw's twitter page?

10. jetsmets93

jetsmets93 Member

jets already said mangold and harris would be done after the season... i dont buy anything pft says

11. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

PFT didn't even say it was gonna be done soon. They just said progress was being made. They basically reported absolutely nothing. It was a report because they knew anything on the subject of Jets and contract extensions would get a lot of hits. And it did. Well played PFT, well played

12. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I think they said that so they wouldn't get a "but you promised me a contract before the season" argument.

13. 624

624 Banned

Tim if this deal is true I will rotate my avatar and honor you for a week.

14. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

God damn, maybe they are going to do the whole Hard Knocks Revis showing up unexpected thing after all. Holla!

fuck ignatius.

15. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

If his info is wrong, we will need a toilet photoshopped at the bottom of the photo.

16. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I'd love to see the look on Rex's face if that's the case...there'd be some serious manlove going on :breakdance:

17. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Mort and Cowlishaw both work for ESPN, I'd expect Mort to defend him a little at least.

18. 624

624 Banned

Ok sounds good.

19. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Lets say he is wrong and it's Mangold. TC still made the Jets beat reporters look like assholes so I am good with that.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Ok, so looking at this logically if the source was related to the Jets camp then they'd have been much more likely to break it to a NY media resource, since that would have created a favor that could be redeemed down the road. So having the report come out of Cowlishaw doesn't seem likely for a Jet leak.

If the source was an NFL establishment source trying to leak then the story would likely be all over the place right now, since breaking it to Cowlishaw wouldn't have happened in a vaccuum. This would also likely indicate that the Jets had run a proposal by the NFL office to see if the terms passed muster legally. That would explain the "by Wednesday" aspect, as the NFL might be looking the various clauses over to see if they were ok under the CBA. Cowlishaw might well refer to a source in the league office as "never wrong" if he only got tips from the person after they had seen a contract proposal submitted. However it would be easy for the NFL to pin the leak on an NFL source, since likely very few people get to look at sensitive contract-related documents and Cowlishaw's association with one or more of them would likely be known.

As to what Revis would gain from having the agreement leaked prematurely, it seems unlikely that his camp gains any benefit from having people talking about this for the next three days. He'd obviously like to get paid and he'd like to get into camp and whether he made out like a bandit or folded on a one year bandage he probably would prefer the news to be as low profile as possible and certainly not the subject of mass hysteria until Wednesday.

The only party to all of this that gains from having this play out until Wednesday is HBO. They'd love to have a three day running media event that hopefully culminates in a "live" news conference to announce Revis signing on Wednesday night. That would be absolute must-see TV. The problem is that neither the Jets nor Revis particularly cares if that's how this plays out. So it's hard to see either side in the negotiation putting anything at risk by catering to HBO and Hard Knocks on the issue.

Here's a theory that maybe holds some water though. Tim Cowlishaw is a Dallas columnist and sports personality. The Cowboys have been on Hard Knocks twice now in 2002 and 2008. It's not unreasonable to suggest that somebody on the HBO staff might have met Cowlishaw during one of those camps. By all accounts Cowlishaw is a nice, likeable guy, somebody you might want to give a scoop too if you were looking to do so. Cowlishaw has some credibility also so he's an acceptable outlet. Ok, so somebody high up in the Hard Knocks production team is talking to the Jets about Revis. The person says "we might be resolving Revis this week but there's a news blackout so please honor our request not to talk about this until it happens." The Hard Knocks guy runs to Cowlishaw and says "I might have a scoop for you, any way to find out if a Revis contract proposal has been submitted to the NFL office?" Cowlishaw kind of gingerly approaches his contacts in the NFL office, not wanting to get burned on this, and lo and behold somebody confirms to him that Revis paperwork "might" have been submitted for vetting this weekend. Cowlishaw puts two and two together and figures that if the HBO guy knows about this and the contract was submitted that the odds are good something gets done by Wednesday, and he tweets to all of us.

There, that was like 3 tubes of KY and some vaseline in the mix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.