Jets not worried about awful offense versus Carolina Panthers -- Cimini

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Quinnenthebeast, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5483321
    Apparently players are supposed to freak out when they have a less than average performance in the 2nd preseason game. I didn't know they were supposed to be firing on all cylinders for a game that doesn't even count. How this guy receives checks to write about football is mind boggling.

2. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Wow Rich, what the fuck is a five-and-dime offense? Oh, I see, very clever.

Classic Cimini article.

3. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

He does make some excuses for the Jets at the end, which had confused me at first, because there was a complete shift of Cimini's tone in that article. Everyone is supposed to jump off a bridge if they don't do well in the next game however.

#3 Quinnenthebeast, Aug 22, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  4. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

it's preseason, who the fuck cares. end of discussion.

5. jandey2k

jandey2k New Member

I love my team. But I will say this, we need to get our stuff together. We can't win low scoring games all season. We have an explosive offense and need to show it. You don't want our defense to win every game for us. We are going to have a lot of teams coming for us. Which is cool, but we have to be able to back it up. It would appear teams want to beat us more than the Saints. You would think we won the super bowl.

6. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

This + filler.

7. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

It's the same every year: The purpose of the Offense in Preseason is to perfect timing and chemistry at game-speed. Schotty isn't going to unveil much before the regular Season begins.

8. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Teams are rarely humbled in victory.

I think something really important came out of this very boring game. Sanchez got to see that even if he does nothing for an entire evening, as long as he protects the ball, we can win games.

The offense would have opened up later in the game if this had been a real contest, this is classic Ciminism.

9. xeticus

xeticus Member

The Saints tend to be a bit more humble. The Patriots have dominated the AFCE for a decade but the Jets talk more so that's who I want my Dolphins to crush. If the Jets win the superbowl then all the bravado was worth it but every team is going to be gunning for the Jets because of the the way they gab.

10. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

A Google search for the term "five and dime offense" yields two results. One article about the Brian Billick Ravens in 2000, and a message board post about the 2003 Seminoles.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2000-10-31/sports/0010310219_1_ravens-billick-coast-offense
    http://www.stingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6049&page=6

11. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

If teams aren't gunning for their opponents in the NFL then they don't deserve to be out there playing

12. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

If they had written reports on our offense after the first 4 series of the playoff game at San Diego they'd be saying the same things they're saying this morning. Sometimes you need a while to get going.

The worrying thing for me is the way Sanchez makes simple things look hard. He throws screen passes when there are obvious unblocked guys coming to tackle/intercept/break up the play; he has days when he goes out there and nothing looks easy. That always makes me nervous.

13. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Agree with your first point.

Can't argue with your second point, although, this is to be expected with such a young QB. Growing pains.

14. cashthepro

cashthepro New Member

Again, its preseason. So what? Sheesh.

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

That article is great. Every time a writer or announcer or whatever thinks they can humiliate the Jets they just get laughed at.

16. VinnyT

VinnyT New Member

Very much agreed. This performance could be a very good thing for Sanchez and the offense. With a defense as good as the Jets', the offense will rarely have to be anything that rivals the best offensive teams in the league. Sanchez and company just need to keep the ball out of the other team's hands, eat up some clock, and put up a few points each week and the wins should come.

17. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

It's a pretty common phrase, guys. "Five and dime's" were local general stores back in the day. Calling something a "five and dime" product means it's cheap and generic.

18. TonyIommi

TonyIommi Active Member

Yeah, but that is when the Jet's win all their championships.

19. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

And the Patriots cheated for all of theirs

20. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Carolina has a solid defense, but our O line did look awful. That is supposed to be the strength of our offense. They lacked intensity and discipline. I'll chalk it up to having only 4 days off... they just never did get up for this game.