Did HBO set up Cromartie?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It is a Florio story and as usual he sucks and it is totally ant-Jets but it quotes Al-Cro-Traz and I don't think they would if it weren't true.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...mes-his-hard-knocks-stumble-on-hbo/?related=1

"With Jets coach Rex Ryan cutting his "F" bombs from umpteen down to two in the second episode of Hard Knocks, we had to look elsewhere for entertainment.

Enter cornerback Antonio Cromartie.

Talking one-on-one with the camera, he listed his children. The process unfolded like something from a quiz show, with head scratching, straining, and possibly guessing.

Now, Cromartie blames the whole thing on HBO.

Cromartie tells Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post that the first-year Jet rattled off the list of his kids' names on the first take, and that the director then instructed him to do a second take.

One that would make him look, you know, dumber.

"Nah, I didn't have trouble," Cromartie said. "I mean, they asked me to pause. I had nailed it the one time before, but they had to redo it and they just told me to pause between each one of [the names]."

HBO's contends that the scene was shot in one take. "The show is factual, it's real, and it's not manufactured," HBO spokesman Ray Stallone told Hubbuch.

So if Cromartie's contention is true (and we doubt that it is), it means that Cromartie wasn't too dumb to know the names of his kids without using a lifeline or two -- but that he was too dumb to realize that he was allowing himself to be made to look too dumb to know the names of his kids.

We're not sure which is worse.

Meanwhile, we wonder when Cromartie will explain that he was instructed by someone from the Chargers to pause before trying to tackle Shonn Greene during the 2009 playoffs."

#1 Don, Aug 20, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  2. JETSJETSJETS17

JETSJETSJETS17 Well-Known Member

I kinda feel bad for Cro. Yeah he plowed more woman than an antique farm tractor but why would HBO even consider that clip making the final edit?

Pause or no pause, it makes the poor guy look bad when he is trying his very best to clean up and get his life in order.

3. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

I have two kids and sometimes I confuse their names. Doesn't mean I don't love them or I can't do my job.

My Aunt had 12 kids and after the 5th one my uncle started calling all of them George except the girls.

This is just trashy reporting trying to drum up some drama. This guy should be on FOX.

4. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

It seems like this is being taken out of context. I wouldn't be surprised if he just ripped off the names real quick and the hbo crew was like, woah - can you maybe slow down, give us the ages and pause between each kid so people have time to take it in? Cro may have gone further with the pause then they wanted and it may have thrown him off a bit being asked to slow down.

Either way that guy better get paid.

5. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

It's a classic case of "He said. She said." I'm not sure why Cromartie would agree to do a retake anyway, especially one that would make him look bad. So he may very well be full of shit.

6. Don

Whatever but I am sure he is pissed about it. Real pissed and he is going to play pissed..hopefully that turns out good.

7. Jetskees

Jetskees New Member

Who knows, who cares. Either way, it made for entertaining television.

8. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

There's an article in the NY Post this morning about it. He doesn't sound that pissed at all. I mean, HBO did also showcase him hanging out with his wife and kid.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Maybe he was stoned.

10. Don

Well, somebody needs to call him up then and tell him to be pissed. People are laughing at him all over the country.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

People were laughing at him all over the country when they first heard about 6 women, 7 kids. Or whatever. Little Genghis is going to have to get used to this because those kids are going to be around all his life. If he's lucky they won't have 4 or 5 long rapsheets by the time he's in his 40's.

12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I agree. the fact that HBO felt they wanted this issue as pat of the show reveals they had an agenda in regards to it, and thus it is more than likely they did manufacture how they wanted him to respond plus their edit t suit their agenda.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Their agenda was "Revis news gone away make something new and entertaining to sell the show". The Jets never should have done Hard Knocks this year. There was only downside associated with it and it was bound to break the team's concentration at some point.

Giving Rex Ryan a microphone is like handing a pyromaniac a can of gasoline and some matches...

14. ........

........ Trolls

I wouldn't say there's ONLY downside. Fellow teammates getting a chance to see Tanny's side of the Revis negotiations has to have an effect after the way HBO portrayed it.

15. ........

........ Trolls

Dan Patrick just said Cromartie is claiming EXACTLY that.

16. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

Almost, except the writer took a clear side and said so. So the article is written for us to believe HBO and not the player.

And he took the second take because he was trying to help them do their jobs and did not realize how much harder it would be if he slowed down.

I tend to think he rattled off the names like Matt Damon named his brothers in Good will hunting which was real fast, Then they said that was too fast so they asked him to slow down.

17. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Wow. An article with the names Mike Florio and Bart Hubbuch should NEVER be taken seriously

18. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

A clearly baited lame attempt by HBO to get some humor at the guy's expense. Name your kids? Come on man, knowing full well he has alot of kids. Gutterball shit. Even if he hadn't made a mistake, they were clearly digging at something there.

I haven't seen the clip as I don't have HBO, but anyone can read between the lines here.

19. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

careful Bart Hubbuch is an asshole. He will probably telling Cromartie he looks like an asshole to rile him up.

but yeah HBO threw Cromartie under the bus, and did indeed turn him into a laughing stock.

20. ........

........ Trolls

Meh. They were just doing their jobs, trying to make for good TV. Some people will buy it, most people will just laugh because it's funny and realize it's TV.