The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Isn't this old news?

2. Vilmalover51

Vilmalover51 Active Member

or the marina grille off 70, thats where all the creatures go

3. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

+1

time for people to physically remove their heads from their asses.

4. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

"A trade was discussed"

It was an internal discussion where they determined that they aren't going to consider trading him. But the way the headline is worded makes it sounds like they were fielding offers.

5. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Unfortunately, up to this point, those two guys are still the major obstacle in reaching the SB.

I agree with the argument you make about CBs in general; however, the main reason they looked for the slot guy first was because Revis eliminates the #1, and last year he did that to the best QBs in the game: Manning, Brady, and Brees.

Do you think Manning and Brady will look to the slot first against Cromartie/Wilson/Lowery? Chances are, they probably will because Lowery (i.e. the slot) would be the weak link again. The major difference is, Manning and Brady would ALSO still be able to throw to the #1 WR because Cromartie isn't shutting down #1s the Revis did/does.

6. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Jets are "good enough" to make the playoffs without Revis. Super Bowl? Ehhhh...

7. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

That and when you get 38 points scored on you, and allow over 200 yards rushing, (I believe Allen had close to 200 himself). It doesn't matter who is on the Raiders D, the game is probably a lost cause anyway.

8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yeah please already.

Again, if it doesn't make sense for the Jets do go up to what Revis, however wrong we think Revis to be in his demands, insists on as a minimum, the team will have to make the most of what options it has, and I am all for that.

But spare me the notion that him being out doesn't put a big ding in the team's SB chances, which I for one had high hopes for. Not so much if he's not on the team.

9. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

QFT

you and I certainly share the same mindset on this.

10. Big Blocker

So, you know that Hayes and Haynes had nothing to do with holding the skins to 9 points?

You can tell yourself that if it makes you feel better about Revis holding out.

11. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Mike T: "Think we should trade him?"

Woody: "No"

that's about all i got from that article......that I read last fucking week.

/thread

12. Big Blocker

True.

Yeah, you know for the most part I enjoy this board for being 95% Jet fans, free of the usually mindless trolling of fans of other teams.

But sometime like now, if this were a board with fans of other teams on it, you would see far less of this "good enough without Revis" stuff because it would not only be as implausible as it already is.

It would also be an occasion for an anti-Jet smackfest.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets HAD a strong defense designed around the ability of Revis last year. They went 9-7 and got beat by the Colts. Doing what they did on defense last year again this season is no guarantee of any better results. Having Darrelle Revis on the field does not guarantee wins, that's true regardless of who else is back there at cornerback with him.

The Jets can't beat Peyton Manning on defense alone by adding more cornerbacks. They need to add a pass rush to make that leap. If it was DWare we were talking about adding to the current mix and not Revis I'd be in the "get him in here at almost any cost" camp. I just recognize that a great defense built around a cornerback is never going to win a Super Bowl without a lot of help from the other side of the ball, and in that reality there is absolutely no reason to pay that great cornerback as if he's the key to everything because he clearly is not. If he was the Jets would have beaten Manning last year and then Brees and won a Super Bowl.

With Cromartie and WIlson the Jets have two very good starting caliber (Wilson looks good) cornerbacks. That was not true last season, because Sheppard and Strickland both had problems, Sheppard with consistency and Strickland with durability. If Strickland was healthy in the AFC Championship and Greene doesn't go down we probably win that game.

It's not homeristic optimism. My worst case scenario here is that the Jets cave to Revis and give him the monster contract, something else goes wrong this year and the Jets don't win it and then we are stuck for literally a decade with a cap problem that will not go away. I lived through the Vinny is uncuttable era and the Aaron Glenn cap nightmare and I really don't want to be back in that position again, particularly since Tannenbaum can't find value later in the draft and keeps bundling picks to move up, creating Jets who if they pan out will be very epxensive to keep.

I'm looking at the long-term here and I see Revis as a very expensive albatross around this team's neck in a few years at about the same time it becomes clear that having a great cornerback guarantees nothing. Champ Bailey has never been to a Super Bowl, let alone won one.

14. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Seems like another idiotic argument is heating up. Perhaps I can cut to the chase here w/10 things that we can hopefully all agree on.

1) Revis is a great CB
    2) We want him on the 2010 Jets
    3) Revis deserves to paid more than his current contract calls for him to be paid.
    4) Revis should be paid what he fairly deserves based on the market value for shutdown NFL CBs.
    5) The Aso contract is a market anomaly that isn't reflective of true market value.
    6) Even if the Aso contract wasn't a market anomaly, the Jets could not afford to pay that contract while retaining much of the core talent.
    7) Other players have been willing to work with their teams to structure deals in order to win championships and retain the core talent.
    8) Revis' agent Schwartz behaves like a jackass and encourages negative behavior by his clients that can be more damaging for them then the tactic is actually worth.
    9) Not many other teams in the NFL would be willing to pay Revis more than the Aso Contract.
    10) Of those few teams, its unlikely that they would be able to put together a good trade offer that would interest the Jets in dealing Revis.

Can we all agree on these 10 ? If not why not?

15. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Where did I mention Revis in that post. I just think the Raiders had more going on for them that day then Haynes and the secondary. Riggins was held to about 3 yards a carry, and Allen had a then record day running the ball.

Where did I say I feel good about Revis holding out?

Don't assume.

16. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread ($40 million apart)

I don't think anyone has disputed that point, nor should they. Money has factored into every part of this discussion.

17. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

I think Jets trade Revis to Jokeland in exchange for Aso, 2nd rounder in 2011, 1st rounder in 2012 and 2013 along with a signed blank check from Al Davis (probably gets bounced after he pays Revis).

18. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Fixd

Filler

19. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

This is a silly argument. A great team makes it to the Superbowl, and it can be constructed many different ways. Many times it is a very well balanced team who wins it all, recently most teams to go, or win it all have had very good QB's.

We are not going to be a team like the Colts, Saints or Pats who win it with a decent team, and a great QB. We have to do it with a defense that is almost perfect. If we are going to make the SB we will need to be just like the 2000 Ravens who won with Defense, Running and QB play, in that order.

20. Big Blocker

I assume you were following the discussion, that's where it came from.

Ftr the Oakland D's ability to key on the run was enhanced precisely because they could leave both Hayes and Haynes in single coverage all day.

THAT is the connection to the present day discussion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.