The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Because you don't sit the best cornerback in the game to get a rookie more experience.

2. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I highly doubt that being pulled out for Revis would actually hurt Wilson's confidence. He knew he was #3 on the depth chart when he was drafted, it would not be like he got the rug pulled out from under him in a competition for the spot.

I think Wilson and everyone on that defense knew exactly where the lineup stood when Rex said that Revis would be starting week 1 if he reported the day before the game.

3. SixFeetDeep

SixFeetDeep Red Hot Robbie Cano

thank you

filler

4. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

The DB's did a rain dance around the man's jersey before the green and white scrimmage because they want him back. I don't think any of them would have an issue taking a seat for Revis.

5. SixFeetDeep

SixFeetDeep Red Hot Robbie Cano

yeah but hes such a self centered player that only cares about money and his own ass. hes never cared about the team or his teammates before in his career, and certainly doesn't now.

/revis holdout thread

6. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I understand that yes Revis is the best cb in the game but if we do hypothetically start the season 4-0 with cromartie and wilson it would be a very tricky situation in my opinion. Especially because wilson would ve developing and his confidence would be sky high. And its true why fix something thats not broken. The guys that attended training camp (wilson and cromartie) deserve to play over revis. Especially if the defense is as dominant as it was last season.

7. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Because moving him to the Nickel if he is that good just makes the defense that much better. This game is about winning the SB not trying to keep everybody happy. I really agree with you on most of what you post on this board but I think your wrong on this one. They're not going to have the best defensive player on the bench to teach him a lesson or because it might hurt Wilson's feelings. In the NFL it's about win now not win 3 years from now. Given the contract status and questions about so many guys in the locker room you have to think the window for this team to win the SB is a small one.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Cromartie and Revis are doing very well at the point that Revis returns I think some of the conventional wisdom will swing towards Revis is a great cornerback playing in a system that makes him look even better. Remember the entire scenario is predicated on Jets 4-0, Cro and Wilson very good, Revis caves. That's a lot different than Jets not so hot at the start of the season, pass D not great, etc.

And I disagree on your definition of getting a rookie experience. A first round rookie that is playing at the top of his game should never, ever see their role suddenly diminished. The way you develop superstars is to find them early and challenge them continuously. Sending Wilson to the nickel package after he had proven to be able to play very well as a starter would be a terrible move for the organization if the alternative was Revis playing on a contract that he didn't want after a long unsuccessful holdout.

9. ukilledkenny

Why do you add a supercharger into a car engine that already works perfectly fine? to make the engine even better. Revis is the supercharger in this situation.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's not a question of hurting Wilson's feelings, it's a question of stunting his growth. You get better by playing the game. If you've already begun to look like you have it all figured out and the game has slowed down for you there's no good reason to take you off the field.

11. ukilledkenny

Right, but he would still get plenty of playing time. I don't feel like looking up the numbers but I am confident in saying the Jets had an extra DB on the field quite a bit last season.

12. CatoTheElder

This makes no sense. Revis would be the best player on the defense, there would be no sound reason to let him sit as the #3. Why would the Jets decide to play Revis less because they have him for less time?

With the offenses that the Jets will be facing this season, Wilson is going to get a lot of looks even as a #3. He will still get the reps a rookie normally should and he'll be better protected from being exposed which would do more damage to his confidence a lot more than moving him back one spot on the depth chart ever could.

Playing Revis would only make this defense better.

And I don't see why Rex would let Revis' contract status change how he is going to play the best defender on his team. He has made it clear that he is focusing on playing the guys who are on the field so Revis reporting without a new deal would satisfy that requirement. As for management, neither Tannenbaum nor Woody have shown a proclivity to interfere with the HC regarding which players should be benched or given playing time.

13. grkmanga31

You cant compare a supercharger to the psychology of a rookie who is doing really well in the nfl. Rookies arnt veterans who understand the game and can sometimes be mature enough to accept a diminished role. I agree with Br4dw4y5ux ..
    "A first round rookie that is playing at the top of his game should never, ever see their role suddenly diminished. The way you develop superstars is to find them early and challenge them continuously. Sending Wilson to the nickel package after he had proven to be able to play very well as a starter would be a terrible move for the organization if the alternative was Revis playing on a contract that he didn't want after a long unsuccessful holdout." - Perfect

14. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

I don't think anyone thinks that Wilson will play up to a level that Rex would sit Revis.

15. grkmanga31

Also another example. The mets played without beltran and castillo and when they came back they started to lose like crazy. Thats all because of chemistry and productivity. You dont throw a player who hasnt been with the team or hasnt been in training camp or real game situations for a while into a fast paced situation. If kyle wilson proves to be a great cb i dont see why Revis has to start. Let him earn it. Afterall you shouldnt get a starting role no matter how well you've played in the past. Its about hard work and earning it.

16. ukilledkenny

that won't be the situation if Revis is playing. At this point he is going to sign a long term deal if he is playing this year. You don't sit the best defensive player on your team, who just signed a long term deal, for anyone. If you guys wanna make this weird argument about what is best for the future of the team then you should be talking about sitting Cromartie when Revis comes back. Revis and Wilson will both have contracts that make them part of the Jets long term plans while Cromartie will not.

Of course that idea is just as poor as keeping Wilson as a starter with Revis on the bench.

17. CatoTheElder

We have two games against New England who practically run a college spread offense.

The Bengals' preseason game pretty much guaranteed that Jordan Shipley is going to be featured heavily in their offense.

Most NFL offenses in general have been expanding to 3 WR sets in general.

Wilson is going to get the reps that a rookie normally would have gotten - the reps that he was going to get when he was drafted to begin with - and he's going to be protected better at the #3 CB spot.

There is no reason to not make this team better by keeping its best defender on the sidelines.

18. Coach K

Coach K New Member

if revis comes back, he comes back with a big contract, and hes not being paid to be a nickelback. end of discussion.

19. Hennessy2710

Hennessy2710 New Member

That is Beltran. This is DARELLE REVIS. Arguably the best defensive player in the NFL. Once he comes back he plays, its not even a debate this will not hurt Wilson at all. I dont know where you come up with this. I usually agree with broadway but this is a no brainer

20. grkmanga31

I mean in a hypothetical situation say we go 4-0 and wilson starts to play like a beast and we as fans hype him up to be ridiculously talented or if rex comes out and says wilson is one of the best in the league and then all the sudden revis comes back and you say ok wilson go play nickel revis is back so he has to start. You're tellign me wilson's confidence wont dip. I think it would. Psychology in sports are as important as skill. Look at tiger as well. He hasnt won anything all year and its simply because he is mentally not in the game. He was on a role while playing but once the whole thing with his wife happened things went downhill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.