The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread ($40 million apart)

No, you're wrong.

2. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

Are you sure about that?

3. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Yes.

They will not trade the heart and soul of their team (who is also the fanbase's favorite player) and their 2011 1st round draft choice to the Jets.

4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Lol.

People are trying to rationalize or come to terms with football without Revis.

The whole point of getting Cromartie and Wilson was to have 3 viable defenders against spread offenses. Last time I checked Cole gave up a critical TD in the AFC game and Lowery said he'd rather let Wilson play.

Team still needs Revis fellas, sorry to say.

5. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Fuck that horse and fuck everything it loved!

6. ........

........ Trolls

I prefer eating a dead horse, but that's just because I really love Jello. And horse tacos.

7. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Don't forget about delicious pony cakes!

8. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I don't want to trade him. The point of allowing him to seek a trade would be to show his agents that his market value isn't as high as they're demanding.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Any defense that needs 3 first round picks at cornerback is fundamentally unsound and will wind up getting beat by something else. It's just absurd to suggest that Rex Ryan can't take Cromartie, Wilson and Lowery and make them into a serviceable part of a good defense.

What the Jets need right now is a pass rushing linebacker to put more pressure on the QB without having to blitz 7 guys to get it. That's what they need. Revis would be great but not in a budget-busting move that prevents the Jets from actually paying most of their soon to be free agents. Put another way: if the Jets didn't have Revis right now, if he had had that great season for say the Arizona Cardinals, and was holding out on them, who on this board would be saying the Jets had to trade for Revis and then pay him Aso money if they wanted to win a Super Bowl?

10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

You bring up a great point about a pass rusher because let's face it, the greatest CBs could only hold coverage for 6 seconds.

That said, why bring up what ifs when you don't have the pieces to solve them? The fact of the matter is that the Jets don't have a great pass rusher on the team but thy do have an excellent CB which helps compensate for the lack of pass rushers.

11. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Trading arguably the best defensive player in the league right before he enters his prime is an indictment on the NFL and sports in general to a larger degree.

Players change teams like crazy now in all sports and it's not right because you have a player like Revis who should be with the Jets for his whole career and some are suggesting he be traded.

Revis could be the poster boy for the NFL and the Jets for the next decade plus.

12. Br4d

This is the NFL. It's a professional sports league. There's no such thing as a non-QB superstar who stays with the same team his entire career. It just doesn't happen. We have Jason freaking Taylor in Jets camp! That should tell you that the whole concept of players as hometown rolemodels is irrevocably shot and will never be returned too.

Look around professional sports. There are maybe a dozen players playing now who have been with one team their entire 10+ year career. We happen to have one of them: Shaun Ellis. If Ellis had been a mega star there's no way the Jets could have held on to him this long.

13. SixFeetDeep

SixFeetDeep Red Hot Robbie Cano

Fuck That Spic Horse And His Family

14. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Maybe not his whole career but more like an LT who played 9 years in SD. Especially when Revis is going to be in his prime over that time and producing at an extremely high level. Jason Taylor is different because he's at the end of his career so, again just like Revis, it depends on how many years into their career these players are when trading them or not. If Taylor was in his prime he would have never been traded. He's not that player anymore. Revis may not be here his whole career but keeping him here until he's 31, at least, makes the Jets a much better team.

15. SanityRemoved

SanityRemoved New Member

Like everyone else I had hoped that this would be resolved by this point but it hasn't so here's my take on the situation.

The Jets organization handled the Leon Washington injury badly. A team can send one of two messages to their players and their fans. The first is "we take care of our own" and the second is "you're on your own". Whether intentional or not the message that resulted in the end was the latter. I can't believe that there is a Jet player out there that was happy with what transpired. For those players near the end of their contracts it can't be giving them a warm fuzzy feeling. Will it effect play on the field? It might, you never know what is running through someone's mind.

Revis embarrassed a lot of players last season. Just his presence on the field will have a psychological impact. The threat doesn't have to be physical. Opposing teams offensive players will need to keep their ego's in check and resist the temptation of the challenge. If players start breaking from their assigned routes to show that they can compete with Revis then that is a huge plus for the Jets.

When was the last time the Jets had a player of Revis' caliber? We've had some excellent players over the years but Revis is showing a progression and dedication that I'm not sure if we have ever seen. There are impact players throughout the league but I have trouble finding one that offered the consistent impact that Revis had last season. No player can win every game, it's a team sport. Those clamoring for a trade should keep in mind that if Revis is traded and keeps the Jets out of the running then who is to blame?

I wasn't at all pleased when Revis was a hold out during his rookie season but he was one of the only players to show that he was worth that aggravation. He wants some security with guaranteed money. After the Leon debacle who can blame him. Is it too much money? Of course it is but it's too much money across the board from rookie salaries to PSLs and everything in between. His demands are the product of what the NFL created not the other way around. I say pay him and get this show on the road.

16. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

I like everyone else, want Revis to be a jet for the remainder of his career. As far as Leon goes, he was offered a more than generous deal and he got greedy. He should have took the deal when it was on the table. He took a risk and he lost. Therefore, Leon was not screwed by the Jets

17. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

While I got your exaggerated point, I still wanted to produce a list to see how accurate you are with that observation.

By my count, there are 33 active non-QBs who have spent their entire 10+ year NFL career with the same team.
    I did not include guys like Brian Waters, Kelly Gregg, and Jeff Saturday. They have played all their NFL games with the same team, but were originally signed by different teams than the ones they eventually stuck with.

I have included players who are about to enter their 10th season.

Todd Heap, Ravens
    Ray Lewis, Ravens
    Chad Ochocinco, Bengals
    Ryan Diem, Colts
    Justin Snow, Colts
    Reggie Wayne, Colts
    Brad Meester, Jaguars
    Kevin Faulk, Patriots
    Matt Light, Patriots
    Shaun Ellis, Jets
    Sebastian Janikowski, Raiders
    Shane Lechler, Raiders
    Casey Hampton, Steelers
    Aaron Smith, Steelers
    Hines Ward, Steelers
    David Binn, Chargers
    Adrian Wilson, Cardinals
    Steve Smith, Panthers
    Olin Kreutz, Bears
    Patrick Mannelly, Bears
    Brian Urlacher, Bears
    Jeff Backus, Lions
    Jared DeVries, Lions
    Jason Hanson, Lions
    Dominic Raiola, Lions
    Chad Clifton, Packers
    Donald Driver, Packers
    Mark Tauscher, Packers
    Jim Kleinsasser, Vikings
    Rich Seubert, Giants
    Leonard Little, Rams
    Brian Jennings, 49ers
    Ronde Barber, Buccaneers

So there are 33 of these guys (excluding QBs) in the NFL. Obviously, there are some in the NBA, NHL, and MLB, too.

18. Br4d

How many of the guys on your list are stars making absolute top dollar?

I see the two Raiders special teamers - because Al Davis is an idiot and top dollar for a kicker and punter isn't the same thing as top dollar for a regular player, Brian Urlacher - who isn't a great player and hasn't been for awhile, and Ray Lewis. You could maybe add Steve Smith, Reggie Wayne and Chad Ochocinco in, however I don't know how they have compared in salary to the Randy Moss/Terrell Owens/Marvin Harrison group over the years. The rest of the people on the list are just like Shaun Ellis: good solid players who were maybe overpaid a little bit because they looked like they might be stars in their early career but didn't break the bank in the process.

The QB's are a different story and everybody knows it.

Yes, my point was exaggerated but the principle stands, other than the superstar QB's almost no stars who get a huge payday stay with their same team from start to finish.

19. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Yeah, I wasn't disagreeing. I was curious at to what the actual numbers are. You see guys like long snappers David Binn and Patrick Mannelly on that list. (Binn played on the last Chargers Super Bowl team.)

20. Benny Bing

Benny Bing New Member

Not having any news or updates on the status of these negotiations is maddening. But I am glad they are talking in private, that is a much healthier approach. Obviously both sides are toxic in the media.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.