The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

and take these agents down a couple notches.

2. jetzfan

jetzfan Member

Yes roll the dice and let him sit rather than cave in or trade him,,he is making demands the FO has no intention of granting.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Nobody is going to trade a young established star for Revis unless that star is also a cornerback or maybe a wide receiver. I guess teams might try to pawn off a 28 or 29 year old star on the Jets but that would be a bad trade unless the guy's name started with D and ended with Ware. The Jets aren't going to trade Revis for a cornerback or wide receiver because there'd be no point to the deal unless somebody got hurt on the Jets and Revis still wasn't coming in off the ledge.

In order for it to be an acceptable trade for Revis the Jets would need one of the following scenarios to be in place:

1. They get a star player at another position that clearly helps the team for the year and at least the next few years moving forward. With the exception above the guy would have to be 27 or less for this to make any sense and he'd have to be signable by them for less than a king's ransom. There are very few people who fit this description in the NFL and none of them are likely to be available in a deal, even for Revis.

2. They get a very good young player at another position of more value and also get picks bundled into the deal to cut the risk for the Jets. RDE, LDE (Ellis can move right for a season), LOLB, ROLB, maybe RB, that's about it for the positions that would help the Jets win a Super Bowl right now before we know who the injury dropouts for the season are.

3. They get a package of picks with at least a couple of first rounders in the deal.

Those are the only things that make sense from the Jets perspective and they're really not going to care what makes sense from the other team's perspectives. If the Jets trade Revis they need to get value that helps the team moving forward.

4. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Maybe seeing the Jets Giants preseason game will help. Seeing his team out in uniform without being there has to make him want to come back.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I agree with you, but I also can't imagine a team that would be willing to give that much up AND pay the ransom team Revis has been demanding. I like your idea about letting him seek a trade to set the market value only in so much as to bring his agents back to earth to sign with the Jets.

6. Br4d

If he's focused just on money and nothing else then he really doesn't have a team any more. He's on the Jets roster but he's not really part of the team. The longer he holds out looking for the best possible payday the lower his actual value to the Jets goes.

We've probably already passed the point at which Darrelle Revis is iireplaceable and moved on into the realm where the Jets have to consider how to best maximise his value to the team. It may take a month or two to become clear that that's the case but the room for movement is all on his side now. The Jets are clearly at the line beyond which they cannot step and maintain the team.

7. Br4d

Yeah it would be nice if the Jets could do that. I'm not sure it's feasible yet though. The situation may have to get down to two weeks before the trade deadline for both sides to realize that's where things are going to go. That would give his agents just enough time to realize that the huge deal is not out there until Revis is a true free agent in 3 years time and the Jets enough time to evaluate the defense without Revis and decide whether they can budge a bit on the bottom line.

If the Jets did this now then the Revis team would find most of the prospective suitors too engaged in training camp to spend the time necessary on this issue. The Jets have been looking at this for 6 months and have not been able to reconcile things, other management teams will need to devote most of their attention to it for a couple of weeks at least before they can reach a conclusion and training camp doesn't let anybody have that luxury.

You get into the season and then the management teams are already shifting into a slower mode as their immediate day to day responsibilities become less pressing. That's when you want to approach them about a Revis deal, when they can obsess on the topic without worrying about 50 other things at the same time. Then if Revis agents aren't finding the huge pot at the end of the rainbow like they thought they would their thinking will inevitably shift back to how to get the most out of the Jets, since that's the only team that is going to pay Revis like he's a free agent now, albeit not at the ridiculous end of the scale.

8. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

At this point if Revis wants to hold out for top dollar I say let him sit for 3 years or until he comes to a reasonable level. He's not the player that's going to make or break this years team. Yes there is a drop off from Revis/Cromartie to Cromartie/Kdub but it's not make or break the season critical drop off. There are only two players on this team that are make or break for this teams aspirations. Sanchez and Greene. If Sanchez is the Sanchez of the Playoffs and just before this team goes along ways, if Sanchez reverts to Sanchez of the first 3/4 of the season we go nowhere. If Greene goes down for more than a game or two over the season we probably aren't going anywhere unless Sanchez has REALLY matured ALOT at QB. A couple games without Greene we can compensate for, more than 2 games without Greene and unless Sanchez becomes Peyton Manning we're not going anywhere.

In short the defense is good enough to thrive withouth Revis, granted it's better with Revis than without Revis, but remember in 2008 with Revis we allowed the 4th most passing yards of any NFL team. Revis isnt the key, he makes it easier to do what Ryan likes to do, but he's not the key. This team goes as far as Sanchez the Greene takes it.

9. Jets007

Jets007 Well-Known Member

Is Revis back yet?

10. Kerley Shuffle

Kerley Shuffle Active Member

Yes, we're just keeping it a secret from you.

11. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Someone should point out that property prices in Cleveland and Detroit are a lot lower than in NY and so once we trade his greedy ass to one of the aforementioned cities he should be willing to sign for less as his pay packet is going to go that much further.

12. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

HUH? First you stated that nobody was going to trade an established star to the Jets in exchange for Revis. I asked you why you thought nobody would be willing to trade an established star to the Jets and then you posted various scenarios in which you apparently think an established star could be dealt to the Jets for Revis.

So which is it? Are there teams who would be willing to offer an established star for Revis? If so do you have any idea who those team and those stars might be?

I wouldn't even consider a deal for Revis in which the Jets were not getting an established star who can provide immediate help. There would be no real reason to move him now unless its good for the Jets this season. Meaning we'd need to have an impact player in return + picks.

13. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

One guy who comes to mind is Troy Polamalu. I know he is 29 years old, coming off an injury, but he would be an established star providing immediate help. Revis is from Pittsburgh as well. As much as Troy is loved there, he only has a few more solid years left. However, he would provide immediate help. Revis for Polamalu and a first. Call me crazy, but adding a guy like polamalu to this defense would be insane

14. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Hey crazy whats up........

15. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Pitt wouldn't trade their best defensive player and a 1st round pick

16. Br4d

That would be section 1. Where I say I don't think that type of deal is available for Revis at this point. I was just pointing out that that's one of the scenarios the Jets would be looking for, likely unsuccessfully.

There are no teams out there that are going to be interested in trading an established star for Revis unless they know beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is signable at a level well below what he is asking for and likely below what the Jets are offering. Revis has more value to the Jets than he does to random team out there, and nobody is likely to be offering him 12 million a year with lots of it guaranteed. That's just not the market for cornerbacks that you have to trade for, it's barely the market for topflight UFA CB's that require no other compensation.

If that's the case then you won't be happy with any deal the Jets are likely to make for Revis. The best case is Mike Shanahan and Dan Snyder see Revis as an amazing component in their new 3-4 and trade us Carlos Rogers and a few picks.

17. Br4d

The Steelers aren't going to have a 12-14 million a year CB on their roster. Hell will freeze over first. They ocasionally have a defensive player bump up that high, usually due to a roster bonus for one year, but they just don't pay that kind of money to a single defensive player on a year-over-year basis. Ben Roethlisberger has a huge deal but he's the QB, and I guarantee you the Steelers wish they hadn't paid him as much as they did at this point.

18. jetsmetsfan

jetsmetsfan New Member

As a business man I can tell you, for any deal to be a good one it has to be good for BOTH sides. A one sided deal never lasts for either side. As for trading Revis it's very unlikely we will find a team willing to give up what is required to make the Jets happy or for that matter Revis happy(unless its the Raiders and that won't happen)So if Revis sits out this year he's down at least 12 million (jets offer) and if a lockout happen next year another possible 12 million . thats 24 million take that off the 160 he's asking because he'll never get those years back we are at 136 million the Jets should up their offer to somewhere in that neighborhood. That make a little bit of sense I think..

19. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Man, you guys love to argue. I just peek in here once in a while to see if there's any new news. I don't think I have the capacity to discuss this anymore until he's signed.

[​IMG]

20. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I'm with you. It's not a thrilling topic and yet some people have written the same stuff thirty different times.

I just come in here on occasion to respond to some sidebar comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.