The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Throw that away. Any new deal would include a substaintial signing bonus since this is an uncapped year. That's one of the big issues here.

2. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

That's not a guarantee, that is a signing bonus. Perhaps that is splitting hairs too finely but the league recognizes a significant difference in that one is restricted this year and the other not.

If you're the Jets how do you give the Mevi$ team a large signing bonus? They have proven repeatedly that they will withhold services time after time after time with Revis and other players.

3. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

The only problem is a trust issue. If we give him a $25 million signing bonus or something crazy like that, we are not protected from him holding out in another 3 years. Or god forbid he gets a career ending injury his first practice.

The main issue is trust though.

4. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

No problem with signing bonuses other than potentially presenting cash flow issues. 6/80 with 40 guaranteed is probably a pretty reasonable contract for Revis; are they actually willing and able to pay 40 million right away? (The credit markets also suck so getting financing could be tough.) Also the time value of money makes a signing bonus more expensive to the team than guaranteeing the same money over time.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

A signing bonus is guaranteed money.

I'd be weary if I were Tanny/Woody. I'd want to put a payback clause attached to future hold outs on the bonus(es).

6. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I tell you...this is why they need a REAL rookie cap!

7. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

I'm pretty sure Haynesworth's contract had one of these, which is why he contemplated a holdout and the team quashed it in a minute.

8. WhiteShoeWillis

Woody has said their are no cash flow issues for signing contracts. I heard he and his family are worth a couple of pennies.

9. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

A signing bonus is not what the CBA talks about regarding guaranteed money. That is where the confusion is coming from I think. We're using the same word to mean different things.

Is there any precedent at all for a payback clause?

10. WhiteShoeWillis

From team Revis' perspective, I think the signing bonus takes care of their wants.

I have no idea. Someone mentioned something about haynesworth?

11. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

Are Darrelle Revis' Agents To Blame for Contract Skirmish?

Its from Bleacher Report, but first article I have read that really hits on the essence of alot of sentiment around here that Mevi$'s agents are to blame as well.

I think this deserves a seperate thread so it doesn't get lost in the mega-Mevi$ thread...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/434806-are-darrelle-revis-agents-to-blame-for-contract-skirmish

12. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Yes. Yes, they are.

13. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Just because he said it doesn't make it true. Woody could obviously afford a huge signing bonus but that doesn't mean he'd let the Jets pay a giant signing bonus in lieu of contractual guarantees; he's got a business to run.

14. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Yeah he has to manage the Jets, and 2 Johnsons. I can barely manage 1 Johnson.

Good Old Woody-

15. JetsAllOverYoFace

JetsAllOverYoFace New Member

sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100813

Bill Simmons, by far my favorite writer at espn, wrote an article on holdouts. He mentions The Revis holdout about half way through.

16. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

summary per thejetsblog:

17. WhiteShoeWillis

I don't even understand what you're trying to argue. Of course, he could be lying about his cash flow. I think all the facts surrounding Woody, the Jets off season and their approach to Revis suggest that he's not. Of course he has a business to run.

What's your point?

Revis' contract WILL include a large sum of guaranteed money one way or another.

18. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

I was perfectly clear but I'll try again.

The potential problem here is that you have to fund any fully guaranteed money for Revis right away rather than pay it out over a period of years. Woody might not be willing to pay, say, $40 million in signing bonuses even if he was willing to pay $20 million in signing bonuses and 2 $10 million guaranteed bonuses one year and two years from now. The difference in timing of payments might make a material difference to Woody and the Jets organization.

19. WhiteShoeWillis

I see, fair enough. He can do signing bonuses over multiple years too if you look at the Willis deal.

20. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

I think the superseding signing bonuses are a lot like guaranteed contracts and can't be fully guaranteed this year. The Willis one, for example, is guaranteed for skill but not injury.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...igning-bonuses-to-circumvent-30-percent-rule/

Now it could also obviously be the case that Woody would be completely willing to pay Revis a 100 million signing bonus if necessary and has the liquidity to do so. We just don't know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.