Gholston is a load now

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Aug 2, 2010.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Mods, you have a triple play waiting for whoever wants it ^

2. postsports

postsports Banned

from what i've read, it sounds like rex is just gonna try to get him into passing downs. just so he can get after the QB

3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

It's not that some fans don't want him to do well. It's that based on what he's done so far in his career some are very skeptical about him turning into a productive member of this team.

You can have a blind allegiance to every player on the Jets but if certain players are hurting the team when they're on the field and not giving us anything then we have to be realists about the situation and cut ties with that said player and move on.

If we were loyal to every single player, even if it's to the detriment of the play of this team, then there would never be any turnover and opportunity to find better players and improve the team.

It's all about the guys who give the team the best chance to win and has nothing to do with Gholston the person.

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Fair enough.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The guy got 50 million dollars and has given us 17 solo tackles in two years, almost all of them on special teams. Must he forever be argued about? He is clearly one of the biggest busts in NFL history. Period.

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

He restructured.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

But he's not as terrible as people like to complain about! 17 tackles, that's almost half a tackle a game Don! It's not easy to find production like that at this level.

8. WhiteShoeWillis

my understanding of the restructure was that it gave him more money this year and less next year. They just moved money around.

9. Don

How much guaranteed money has he/will he walk away with? I will base the argument solely on that. I believe it is well over a million/tackle.

Here it is.

"DE Vernon Gholston, drafted number 6 overall by the New York Jets in the 2008 NFL Draft, signed a 5 year 50 million dollar contract with the New York Jets on July 24, 2008. The base value of the contract is worth 32.5 million dollars with 21 million dollars in guaranteed money."

http://www.nyjetscap.com/vernongholston.html

#249 Don, Aug 13, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I don't think the terms of the restructure were made public, but I know he still has the overall dollar amount, but he needs to reach tons of incentives to make the money back. The guaranteed money is way down.

Now if he plays like a JAG, he gets paid like it.

11. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Here comes the broken record, so forgive me if you've heard this before...

There's nothing wrong with saying Gholston has been a bust so far. There's nothing wrong with complaining about the lack of performance he's given us up until now. The problem is the toolboxes around here that want to just cut him right now because there is no chance he'll ever pan out as anything of worth.

3-4 end is still not his "natural" position, however, based on the things those who watched him in college say, neither was 4-3 end. Gholston's only flashes in the pros have come when he's been up on the line, whether his hand was in the dirt or he was cheating up. His college "success" came with his hand in the dirt. All people like me are saying is "Give this change a chance before you write him off."

If this doesn't work out, he's done. That's a no-brainer. Writing him off before he has the opportunity to play the only area of the field he's actually had some success though? That's ridiculous.

12. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

watch Gholston have a decent year...5 sacks or so. He will probably hold out for a $100 mil contrcat

13. Don

That's not really the argument at all. The argument is that he was drafted #6 and got 21 million in guarantees. That makes him a bust no matter what he does from here on out. If he walked on or was drafted in the 6th or 7th round and was still on the team (which we all know he wouldn't be) then nobody would be saying a word. He is only still in the NFL because of how much money has been wasted on him already.

14. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

2 things:

1) Your argument isn't the one some are making. I don't have an issue with most of the people who disparage Gholston. He's been very disappointing so far. The problem is the rah-tards who think he has no chance to pan out as anything at all and should have been cut 2 years ago. No one knows if he'll work out in this position change. That's who I argue against, not the people who are disgusted with how he's played so far and expected more from him for the money he's getting.

2) He didn't determine his draft slot. Eric Mangini did. Yes, he's underperformed for being picked 6th, but he never should have been the #6 in the first place. He should have been, at best, a low-first-round pick. Instead, Mangenius thought he could make a project out of him. Well, that was stupid, wasn't it? Obviously, considering he's clowning it up out in Cleveland now.

Some arguments are intelligent and legitimate. Some are not. I have a low tolerance for idiocy.

15. WhiteShoeWillis

He was considered a top 10 pick by pretty much every draft analyst I saw.

16. Don

Ok, I'll respond in order.

1 - He has no chance to ever pan out because he will never be a starter. 3 or 4 guys would have to go down before he starts. Ryan has even indicated that he will be used as a situation player this year (his 3rd). He won't have enough time left to ever make up for what has already happened.

2 - I agree but that's what happened and that's what determines he is a bust. On draft day there were 20 other GMs that thought he wasn't even a top 20 player according to Casserly. This is more on Tannenbaum than Mangini though.

17. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Thats not right. He was serviceable when he played last season. His job in that D was not to make solo tackles it was to take up blockers so that other players could pursue the ball carrier and get pressure. In that role he was part of a very successful Defense last season. I'd love him to be a superstar. But simply declaring that he is the biggest bust in the NFL b/c his solo tackles are not where you think they should be is a bit of a stretch. He was on the field, he was serviceable and he has improved.

Hopefully VG continues to improve and play well this season. Sometimes support and encouragement is better than just trying to rip a guy everytime he plays. In any event - he's a Jet, I'm a longtime Jets fan. I'm not gonna rip the guy at this point b/c he's trying to improve himself and help the team. And at least he is in camp working his butt off.

18. Don

Not a stretch at all. Like I said, if he had been drafted in the 6th or 7th round or been a walk on he would not even be in the NFL now and that's a bust by anybody's definition. He was drafted where he was and paid what he was paid to be a sack artist supreme and tackling machine.

19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Sometimes a position change is all it takes to change the course of a player's career from being another 1st round bust or difference maker.

http://www.thefootballexpert.com/calvinpaceinterview090001.html

Initially drafted by the Arizona Cardinals in 2003, the team tried to use him as a defensive end in a 4-3 scheme with limited success for four years. It wasn’t until the hiring of Ken Whisenhunt in his fifth pro season did Pace finally produce[/B]. Playing strictly OLB in Whisenhunt’s newly installed 3-4 defense, Pace had his best season setting career highs in tackles (98) and sacks (6.5) and looked like a new man. His best year also happened to be the final year of his contract in Arizona and prior to the 2008 season, Pace signed a six year, $42 million dollar contract ($22 million guaranteed) with the New York Jets. Though 2008 didn’t end well for the Jets, Pace again set career highs in sacks (7), forced fumbles (5) and scored the first TD of his pro career.

20. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

He was picked to go high, but he shouldn't have been.

1) And that's what I'm talking about. You're saying it like it's impossible. You have to play the games. You haven't the slightest clue (and neither do I) what Gholston's performance will be when the games count as a defensive lineman.

2) Again, you express disappointment so far but you can't declare him a bust yet.

Don't go bringing facts into the conversation. That just muddies the waters.