Gholston is a load now

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Aug 2, 2010.

1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Every ounce of hate thrown Vernon's direction is justified. He has collected a huge sum of money from the team while giving nothing back.

If he does well every fan will be stoked and support him.

Just because we aren't blindly supporting some schmuck who hasn't come close to doing anything remotely close to justifying his draft position, doesn't mean we're wrong.

2. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

In your opinion hating young players on your own team who work hard and are asked to learn the NFL while playing out of position is okay. In my book that sort of venom is totally misplaced. The Jets choose to select Vernon in the draft and the Jets choose to pay Vernon. Blaming Vernon for that is silly.

I think there has been a MASSIVE OVERREACTION by a segment of Jets fans who decided to hate on Vernon. He doesn't suck. He is serviceable and working to improve. He is overpaid - which isn't his fault at all.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

He was the 6th overall pick in the draft and can hardly even get on the field. He's not been "serviceable", and that's the problem.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The reaction to Gholston has been for two reasons in my opinion. First he was seen as a potential workout wonder who didn't really care about football as one possibility when he was examined ad nauseum by the NFL talent people before the draft. Second he has displayed nothing to counter that initial impression in the two years he has been in the NFL.

My impression of him based on what I've seen so far is that he got the big bonus and he's now mailing it in until the Jets release him. That's what it has looked like from my angle. Hopefully he wins a significant role this year and playes effectively with some heart and hitting in the package. That would change my initial impression a lot. Just like it did with Bryan Thomas.

5. MaddJettFann

MaddJettFann Banned

6. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Willie I disagree, he played serviceably last season on defense. Again playing out of position. I personally wouldn't not expect him to be more than serviceable at best when its his 2d season in the league and he is being told to play out of his natural position.

He did not pick himself as 6th in the draft, the Jets did that. Obviously too high. But thats not a reason to hate Vernon. The Jets told him to learn to play OLB. That not a reason to hate him either.

I'm hopeful that he can be effective at DE and I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt that he will improve and that he works hard. I think that is something that Rex has stated - Vernon works hard.

7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

8. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

mangini had the stupid idea to use him as an OLB, not rex. his ass was on the d-line with his hand on the ground i would say 75% of his snaps last year. dont use the out of position thing to justify his lack of stats, because up to this point he sucks. to be quite honest i still dont understand why he is still here. dont get me wrong, i hope he turns into mark gastineau. i want anything that will improve the teams chances, but i am not clouded by pre-draft potential or how he looks with his shirt off. i hope he is great, but i dont believe he ever will be.

9. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

I just played a game in Madden and I got an interception with the Ghost and ran it back 40 yards for a TD. I laugh my as off.

got to love madden, our team is unstoppable in it this year!

10. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

ur not kidding, the team is so stacked on offense...even moreso when u add coles

11. JamesHasty02

JamesHasty02 New Member

Is this our worst pick of the 2000's??? or is it umm Mike Nugent?

12. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

All of this improvement is really going to pay off in Vernon Gholston's "make or break" 2018 season.

13. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

I am so drunk, I read this shit like 3 times and then busted out laughing!!! New sig!

14. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

You Vernon Haters are truly nuts. I think the guy has been incorrectly used for much of his two seasons, playing out of position. If you want to hate somebody because the FO drafted him to high and because the Fucking coaches couldn't figure out that he is a DL not an OLB - then enjoy stewing in your own ignorance. If you jackals want to give up on him and be shitty fans, thats your assinine choice.

16. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

LMAO @ blind loyalty. He, maybe we should sign D-Rob too. I'm sure he just played out of positon.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Really?

Because you see a football player in him? I see a guy with strength and athleticism but not a morsel of the tenacity it takes to play in the NFL.

If he does well in his new spot, then he shuts us all up. But right now, he hasn't shown a damn thing.

He was misdrafted. I think he should have always been a 4-3 DE and Chris Long should be a Jet, but that doesn't mean there is a football player trapped in him fighting to get out. He just doesn't have the balls to fight this war.

18. Al13

Al13 Member

doesnt matter how strong he is, he needs a heart transplant, not sure if a new brain should also be considered

19. MaddJettFann

MaddJettFann Banned

* If they play Gholston at his true position DE, he will have a good season, what I believe happened is gholston just wasnt happy playing OLB and wasnt putting his heart into it, now hes back at his true position he will play hard.

20. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

As muchas I'm in favor of this move for Gholston and how I think it's going to work out well, I really didn't like the clip for next week's Hard Knocks where he said he doesn't feel like this is a "make or break" year for him. It is. And he better wake up to that fact.