The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jetsmets93

jetsmets93 Member

that would be funny... we should make them change their number

2. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Anyone try to call yet?

3. thedoc53

thedoc53 New Member

i feel like asking the two of them if they even like, respect, or have ever played the sport of football. Are they fans of any team in the NFL? Doesn't seem like they care

4. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

They don't need to. Their job is to get the maximum amount of money for their clients and themselves. They're good at doing that.

They couldn't give two shits about whether the Jets win or lose or what the Jets fans think.

5. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Really? 3/4s of the posts in this thread the poster has no clue.

Most fans are too emotional to be objective.

You really think messageboard fans E-Mailing agents will make a difference??? GEEZ!!

6. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

I did.

Its a cell phone, that leads to a message machine. He didnt pick up.

7. Tenn_JetsFanatic

I think it's BS .... Revis is not the whole team

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Actually, they should care about what the Jets fans thinks because if they do turn on their client the team will see that and deal from that position accordingly. They should care a lot about what the fans think.

9. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

10. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

I've changed my opinion. Tannenbaum is coming across like a douchebag, but Revis and his agent need to give ground.

Asomougha's 3-year deal was worth $60 M, but it's not as if all of that is guaranteed. Before Nate Clements signed his ridiculous deal with the 49ers, no DB was earning as much as 10 M per season.

11. boshhemi487

boshhemi487 New Member

I remember seeing someone asked about Revis agents and I found this

Neil Schwartz and Jon Feinsod have a bad history with GM Mike Tannenbaum dating back to the Pete Kendall and Chris Baker situations.

12. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Well if it's a cell phone I'm sure he'll enjoy the convenience of text messages. These agents like feedback from the little people, it helps them grow and better their professional careers

13. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

the Jets are making money off Hard Knocks correct?

14. thedoc53

thedoc53 New Member

Rex would love to have an entire organization meeting for Revis contract. Food would definately be supplied and he just loves trays of day old ziti

15. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

None as far as information I have read.

The filming is handled by NFL Films in collaboration with HBO Films. The Jets may make residual money on additional gear, jersey's etc from people becoming interested in the team but that's all.

Its publicity more than anything else.

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I am saying that if the Jets fans lose interest in him the Jets management will not be so anxious to sign him. I think you already see some of that coming in the form of the attitudes of Johnson, Ryan and Tannenbaum this week. It's all about tickets and this whole thing probably got started because of that but if they feel the fans don't care then they aren't going to be in such a rush to get it done.

17. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Not to defend the agents too much, but they are paid to be the asshole so the player doesn't have to be. Sure, they some off as douches, bu they also get the players what they want. I couldn't do that job. Someone has to. I think they look a little bad here because everything has become so public. Likely there are plenty of other agents that pull this shit privately.

18. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Right, it's also worth adding that HBO doesn't care if 1 million people watch or 5 people watch unless people subscribe to HBO just because of Hard Knocks. HBO makes money on subscriptions, not on advertising (which is influenced by ratings).

19. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I emailed both Neil and Jon, left voicemails, and sent them text messages. I doubt they'll get back to me though.

I basically told them that no Jets fan would support screwing the future of the team just to pay off Revis, and that Revis will only be damaging his image and career by holding out.

20. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

My take on his point is this: Revis has leverage only to the extent that (a) fans pay $ to watch him play and won't pay knowing that he's out, (b) the team thinks his presence helps the team win which makes fans pay $ to watch the team play, or (c) Johnson wants to win games in the short term regardless of fan attendance and believes that Revis's absence hurts his chances to do that.

If Jets fans really didn't give a shit about a cornerback's presence than that kills his leverage on point A.

EDIT: Clarity. Also point B is the big one. Making the playoffs is a huge money maker for a team so if Tannenbaum and Ryan honestly thought Revis's presence is likely going to be the difference between a deep playoff run and short or nonexistent playoff run, it could be economically rational to overpay Revis because the marginal benefit of signing him (tons of playoff money, lots of renewals, the ability to increase ticket prices next year) could exceed the cost of paying or even overpaying him. That's the key to Revis's holdout.

#2860 ManlyGenius, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.