Gholston is a load now

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Aug 2, 2010.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Mark Brunell looks a lot like David Carr to Gholston. The similarity has brought out the Bobby Boucher in him.

2. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Water Sucks...It really, really sucks...

3. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Did Ghost get in a fight with Turner in practice?

4. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

It would be amazing if this guy actually became a starting-caliber NFL 3-4 DE this season, but I'm highly skeptical.

5. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Jenny Vrentas twitter:

# Kris Jenkins had interesting thoughts on Rob Turner's propensity to fight. Said he might be "frustrated" in role. #nyj 27 minutes ago via UberTwitter

6. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

On Vernon Gholston’s sudden improvement…

I don’t know if anybody noticed, but Vernon [Gholston] beat Brick [D’Brickashaw Ferguson] on two rushes today. I don’t want to say it, I don’t want to say it just yet [laughs], but I told … I’m not going to say it. But he’s coming. So now, where do you put him? He’s the only guy who has beaten Brick all year. Nobody else has, including Jason Taylor. Nobody has beat him. But Vernon did. So it took him three years really in college before that light really came on. So we’ll see. It’s happening right in front of our eyes. I’m excited about it. I told you guys that yesterday and I’ll stand by it.

7. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

It really has everything to do with him putting his hand back in the dirt. He over thought EVERYTHING playing linebacker.

8. Jets42long

Jets42long Member

I really really hope so. He has all the physical tools, it just doesn't make sense for him to be so bad.

Here's to hoping.

9. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

The clock has started on the 2011 Gholston hold-out for a mega deal.

seriously though, it's a huge bonus if he goes beast mode out of nowhere.

10. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

This is waht I didn't understand with the whole Gholston thing. I could accept that the final project was to convert him to outside linebacker, with all the responsibilities that entails. But wouldn't it have made sense to start him off (in his rookie season) by just bringing him on in certain situations with a very limited brief - get to the quarterback?

The other responsibilities could have been phased in as he adjusted to the pro game, but he might have gathered a bit of confidenece and maybe even a sack or two to make him feel like he belonged.

Piling everything onto him right from the start seems to have left him totally lost. It may be a valid critisicim of him that he couldn't grasp things, but it is also a valid criticism of the Mangini regime that they didn't see what was happening in his first training camp and cut things back as much as was necessary.

The kid was thrown in at the deep end and even when there was nothing to see of him but bubbles, nothing seemed to change.

If the Ghost can turn into a player it will be a huge bonus for this team.

11. Jets42long

Jets42long Member

Well he basically already held out the last two seasons. Maybe he is finally happy with his rookie contract and is ready to play.

12. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

can coaches just admit that the fans are smarter than them:

Vernon Gholston:

2008, 2009
    coaches: he's an olb
    fan: HE NEEDS HIS HAND ON THE GROUND TO BE GOOD!!!1

2010:
    coaches: oh wait you're right he needs his hand on the ground

Dwight Lowery:

2008, 2009:
    coaches: he's a solid man-to-man receiver
    fan: HE'S BETTER AS A SAFETY!!!!11

2010:
    coaches: oh wait you're right, he's slow as molasses and his ball hawking skills is better served at a position where he can read the play and see it develop

Where is our paycheck?

13. MaddJettFann

MaddJettFann Banned

* gholston is not smart enough tp play OLB in a 3-4, put him in at end on passing downs and tell him "sic the quarteback dog, sic him" tell him to do one thing and I bet he will do it well.

14. Penning-10

Penning-10 New Member

JennyVrentas

Gholston breaks thru for two pressures on Clemens. Odds Rex praises him again today? #nyj
    1 minute ago via UberTwitter
    Reply Retweet

TheJetsStream
    Vernon Gholston is looking sharp. Couple QB pressures. Making Wayne Hunter look like a grade schooler. #nfl #jets #nyj
    1 minute ago via UberTwitter

15. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I'm going to quickly say this here....

Go back and read Gholstons football history.

Vlad Ducasse is considered Raw, and a project.

When Drafted, Gholston had been playing football for the same amount of time as Ducasse. The only difference was a great combine and decent college success.

It really appears as though his football aptitude (due to NUMEROUS position switches starting in HS) never had a chance to catch up to his ability.

I think Rex is fixing that.

16. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

No payday for you if you think Lowery is a receiver. :smile:

17. MaddJettFann

MaddJettFann Banned

* what position was he at the he beat D'brick ? defensive end ?

18. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I would imagine so. Gholston is now a full time DE. Rex said he wanted him to rotate with Ellis, and have Sione, Jenkins, and DeVito rotate at NT and the other DE.

19. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Hopefully Vernon shows consistent improvement and kicks some butt. It would be pretty funny to watch the vernon haters in here backpedalling. But the truth is that having a few good days in training camp is hardly impressive to me at this point. I expect Vernon to have good practices - he works hard and he is a physical beast. But I remain optimistic. As I have stated previously, some guys take longer to develop than other guys do - especially when the team decides to play them out of position.

Lets hope Vernon is the next star to emerge on this Defense.

20. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

If Gholston has a good season, I think many posters here will support him. There's no denying that he's been terrible the last two seasons. This could be due to a lot of factors (out of position, still developing, etc). I've been hard on Vernon, but I'll be the first one to support him if he starts to show a turnaround.

At this point, I am cautiously optimistic about him. We will learn a lot more about him on Aug 16th. I'm really not expecting much, but if it all clicks for him there's no denying that he could be an effective player. He certainly has the athletic ability, but he hasn't shown the football ability yet.