The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

His contract expires at the end of this season. If he doesn't play for the Jets this season, there is very little chance of him playing again.

Cakes, help me out here, how many players have sat for a year and stayed with the team?

2. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread

If the "Week 10 or no void" rule is true due to an unaccrued season of service, then he'd lose his option to void simply by staying home tomorrow. The six salaried games clause runs hand in hand with the 30 day rule in the CBA. BOTH conditions have to be met to accrue a year. I'd quote, but I'm out of town and on my iPhone.

Given that no one is contending that he loses the ability to void tomorrow, I'd imagine it would be prudent to not insist that Week 10 has any effect either without proof. The only clause I KNOW is in the contract is the void if he played 35% of the snaps in his rookie year, which he fulfilled.

Also, for those of you who feel sitting out this year would mean his contract year is essentially held in check, does that mean you also think his salary carries forward? Would we be looking at a perpetual and unending 3 year deal?

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

It doesn't, but it does show us that a team can put together a solid roster even though Asomugha has a shitty contract.

It's not a fantasy - just my opinion. I see a lot of promise in that team. They have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Actually it's not semantics. Contractually Revis is bound to the Jets for 4 seasons of service. As soon as he has completed 4 seasons of service he can opt out. If he sits out all year he has not fulfilled the 4th season of service and so will not be able to opt out.

5. ........

........ Trolls

LOL. Awesome. I swear, I knew what I was trying to say.

6. CatoTheElder

Right here:
    So either you thought we signed Mangold or you just construct piss-poor sentences...
    ...and you're spelling is terrible.

Nice catch, Cakes.

7. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I'm signing off soon. I think if I explain my AFC West thoughts I'll do so in the NFL forum later this month. I can see three of the teams bunched tightly together. 9-7, 8-8, 7-9- I think that is possible.

8. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I'm not saying that Mangold and/or Harris will be paid $16 million a year. But what is to stop Mangold from saying he should be the highest paid interior lineman in the NFL? Should the Jets give in and pay him what he wants? And if Harris leads the NFL in tackles this year, what is to stop him from demanding to be the highest paid LB in the NFL? And so on. The cap will be back. All NFL teams are negotiating contracts with that in mind. Are you saying the Jets should be stupid and ignore the possibility of a future cap? And once the Jets pay out all this money to a CB, a center, and a LB, what is going to be left for the franchise QB? What is going to be left to pay for the other 19 starting players?

Revis' demands are not realistic, reasonable, or team oriented. Have the Jets ever - ever renegotiated a player's contract with three years left? I don't know how any fan can side with a player like Revis when the impact of giving in is to destroy any hope of staying in contention for a SB title for years and increased ticket prices. It makes this a one year run for a title and the Jets are still playing with a young QB.

9. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

That is fascinating. This just in - Abdul Salam's surname contains two As.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Only if Revis didn't fulfill the years. He's under contract for the Jets for 6 seasons of play with an option to void the contract after he has completed the 4th season.

I know of no contract law anywhere that says that a person can fulfill a contract by not living up to it. A person can certainly break a contract by not living up to it at any time they choose to do so. The remedies in that situation are often found in the courts. In the case of an NFL contract there are other remedies also which do not involve the courts, such as the NFL declaring a player unable to enter into a contract with another NFL team if he has not finished his obligations to his former employer. The NFL must approve all player contracts before they become effective.

11. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

^^^^^
    Not for nothing, that's not the way Salaam from the Jets spells his name.

12. CatoTheElder

Absolutely nothing. He's the best center in the league. Just because we want him to stay on the Jets doesn't mean it's OK for him to be paid less than he deserves, and thus far he has shown he deserves no less.
    Yes. Yes it does. Players deserve the contracts that they earn, and teams deserve to be punished for overpaying players who don't perform. Employer beware has been the caveat for every team in every league for decades now. If you want to keep good players, you pay them what they've earned up to that point. If they have a down season after their signing, then that's on management for not assessing them properly and the CS for not motivating them properly or disciplining them for lack of effort.
    Play like the best, get paid like the best, same as above.

Is it a broken record yet?

13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

As far as I know, Bobby Hebert is the only player to sit out an entire NFL season and then return to the same franchise. He started 13 games at quarterback for the Saints in 1989, sat out the 1990 season, and then started 9 games in 1991 for the Saints.

The only other players who sat out entire seasons due to contract issues were Sean Gilbert, Jeris White, and Mike Merriweather. That is only a total of four players in NFL history who sat out a full season due to a contract dispute. There might be more and I'm either unaware of them OR I'm being really stupid right now and forgetting some cases which I should not be forgetting.
    There are a bevy of players who sat out a few games for sure, but an entire season? That hasn't happened often.
    (I'm in the group of TGG folk who believes Revis will play for the Jets this season. If I were to bet on it, I'll say he starts in Week 1.)

14. ........

........ Trolls

Why would the Jets define a season of service according to only half the rules of the NFL? If they're following the definition in the CBA, he's already lost his season by failing to report by today. Perhaps you could link us to the information so we can just settle it? Again, I just haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere and would love to see it proven.

15. CatoTheElder

No. The void clause kicked in once he hit 35% of the snaps of his rookie season.

If you have a source for this, post it. Otherwise, stop spreading this.

16. ........

........ Trolls

Fair enough. Again, then, I ask you for a place where a season of service is defined and NOT in conjunction with the 30 day rule. I'd really love to see something concrete which necessitates his presence at any point this season.

17. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I'll answer all that, but would go more in-depth in the NFL forum or predictions forum later this month.

18. ........

........ Trolls

I agree that he'll likely be back by week 1. Do we have any info on what happened to Hebert's contract numbers? New contract, or resumption of the old?

19. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Look no further than the Sean Gilbert situation. He was franchised by the Redskins, sat out the 1997 season, and was franchised again in 1998. Then he was traded.

If you don't play an entire season, your contract is frozen. I don't know the specifics, but the only way out for him is if he agrees to honor his contract, agrees to a deal we give him, retires, or if we trade him.

20. CatoTheElder

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.