The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread

Would you please quit spreading misinformation? Revis earned his right to void after Season 4 when he was a rookie. He hasn't lost it, nor does he if he skips the whole season. The ONLY difference after tomorrow is that he would opt out into RFA status rather than UFA status, changing The Jets' options IF there is a new CBA in place with the same rules.

2. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

He's pricing himself out of a job in New York. He's going to get the money he wants and he's going to have a great career.

It's the Jets who are going to lose on this if they let him go.

3. 624

624 Banned

They need to just agree on a $10 Million/Year deal and then Woody can sneak a $40 Million Dollar Johnson & Johnson Bill in Revis' Christmas card.

4. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Who ever pays him that money will have a shitty supporting cast. Just ask Aso.

5. MeanGreene23

MeanGreene23 New Member

These clowns all need to get into a room again and not leave until they hammer out a deal. They need to start doing their god damn jobs. We pay these fucks salaries. I expect progress not this bull shit

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't believe this is true. He has to fulfill his fourth year of the contract before he gets right to opt out. If he chooses to withhold his services this year then the Jets will prevent him from opting out because he has not earned that clause in his contract.

7. CatoTheElder

Cite a source for this or stop mentioning it. Because the best I can find is here:

http://www.thejetsblog.com/2007/08/17/details-out-on-darrelle-revis-contract/

It's not even an opt-out, it's a void which triggers automatically and not at the whims of either participants. Neither Revis nor Tannenbaum/Woody Dolan have the choice to end the contract. He's reached the incentives so it is done.

Him missing mandatory practices in TC only voids the guaranteed portion of his money. Him missing the deadline today only voids his UFA status which is a moot point until there is a new CBA put in place that defines UFA status as being 4 years of accrued tenure. His contract is up at the end of the season until the Jets offer to buy it back which they have yet to do.

#2327 CatoTheElder, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Nnamdi Asomugha actually has a pretty damn good supporting cast in Oakland...

Richard Seymour, John Henderson, Thomas Howard, Kamerion Wimbley, and Tyvon Branch are solid defenders. Rolando McClain and LaMarr Houston should also contribute right away.

The JaMarcus Russell selection put them in a big hole. Al Davis is also a fucking idiot, but they have some talent on that team.

#2328 Mr Electric, Aug 10, 2010
  9. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Since it is a 6 year contract yes the last 2 years can not be voided until he plays what constitutes a 4th season. However, he met the performance clause in season 1, that voids the final 2 years.

This entire argument is one of semantics.

10. CatoTheElder

Thank Al's kid for that one. We can finally go back to hatred being the first emotion induced by the Raiders instead of schadenfreude.

11. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I think that what you have said here is exactly correct. If Revis doesn't report by the 10th game then it will not be seen as a "complete" year with regards to his fulfilling the fourth year of his contract. If he does report by the 10th game then his fourth year is complete and he only has two years left on his contract. However, at this point I believe the void / buyback scenario really is moot because having him void the final two years and having the Jets buy them back (unguaranteed) is really no different than what the current terms of his contract are if the option is not exercised.

Therefore, I believe that if the Jets can't a deal done they will just wait it out - rather than trade him in the near term (prior to the start of the season). Their thought may be that if he will report by the 10th game the Jets would have his services for the playoff / SB run. Assuming that the seaon is going reasonable well (6-3, 7-2) then Revis would be available when "the Jets need him most". Of course, nobody would know how motivated he would be at that point.

I doubt any blockbuster trade would happen at this point in the season that would help the Jets immediately. I can't see where another team would change their team dynamics so late in the planning stages for the 2010 campaign by giving the Jets a talent that could help the Jets this year (and therefore make it worthwhile from the Jets point of view). Therefore, there's no sense in trading him right now.

And in Revis' mind there is really no issue with waiting this out deep into the season because he is only giving up a portion of $1M which is relative peanuts to what he's already earned ($14M). Therefore, this might be a really long holdout ... or it might end tomorrow. Who knows?

#2331 johnny, Aug 10, 2010
  12. 624

624 Banned

I agree that it'd hurt us to an extent, but it's not like we'd have Drew Colemans and Justin McCareins rounding out our roster.

The Raiders are actually pretty talented, having the biggest bust of all time at a #1 pick 3 years ago didn't help either...

EDIT: Damnit, MrE beat me to it

13. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Cato i love it when you get out the crystal ball and predict the future. Can you tell us when and how is he going to get the money he wants? Why would you think that the Jets would "let him go"? As far as I can tell, he is not going anywhere at this point. He can refuse to play football and he can not be paid and he can rack up fines - but i don't see the Jets letting him go or any such thing unless they are offered a great deal in exchange.

14. CatoTheElder

No, his contract year doesn't expire until week 10. His UFA status at the end of the season is what is affected by the Aug 10 deadline. The only thing this would have affected would be the Jets having an option of giving him an RFA tender instead of only being able to give him a new contract.

However, that point really helps Revis more than the Jets since he could probably fetch more than a 1st and a 3rd in a trade. If he hits the RFA market, he's going to get the contract he's asking for and the Jets will either have to pay him or settle for less than they would have gotten in a trade this season. Free agency is not going to be a factor in this situation Revis has already made it clear how little he cares about his FA status by not showing up.

#2334 CatoTheElder, Aug 10, 2010
  15. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Every team has some talent, but I mean talent that would produce more then 5 wins. I get your point though.

16. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Not till they prove it on the field by winning games.

17. CatoTheElder

Can't you just be an optimist for once?:smile:

18. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

They have a playoff caliber defense especially if Rolando McClain lives up to his expectations.

People are really underestimating the Jason Campbell trade. He's a excellent game manager. If that offense does a good enough job protecting the football, they'll make the playoffs. Those odds look pretty good with Campbell under center.

McFadden and Bush have to stay healthy too.

The Raiders definitely have a lot to prove. I have a good feeling they'll make some noise this year and give San Diego a run for their money in that division.

#2338 Mr Electric, Aug 10, 2010
  19. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Oh to be clear .... I was talking about the mid season deadline not the Aug 10th one.

20. franzman9

franzman9 Member

T-Minus 9 minutes until revis is signed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.